Thread: Wyoming Appleseed

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Default Wyoming Appleseed

All that I can say is, "WOW!"

What a weekend, I can't remember when I've seen so much ammo go downrange in such a short time (I'm talking aimed fire here.). If my calculations are right it was over 16,000 rounds.

On Saturday a total of 48 people arrived, the weather was cool, rain and wind, normal for Wyoming at this time of year. My shooting mat was like a pool. Every thime I used it I got soaking wet...Wah Hoooooo!!! And did I mention the wind? We had gun cases, magazines, a rifle and just about everything else going flying during one of the gusts. Try shooting Offhand (Standing) under those conditions.

The Appleseed instuctors were great, a lot of shooting and historical information was provided. I learned about April 19, 1775 and what that date means to me as an American.

On Sunday we lost 7 shooters for a total of 41. Weather was a little cooler and we had the wind and rain, not all day but enought to get your attention. The "Redcoat" targets were used for initial and final evaluation of the individual shooters progress. The AQT targets were used for scoring "Rifleman" qualifications.

A total of 5 people qualified "Rifleman", two of which were females which was great! I have wanted to post pictures of the event but until the "Gallery" is fixed, I can't.

We had folks from Nebraska, Colorado, Montana, South Dakota and Kansas. I have posted another previous thread about Appleseed which included a .pdf file containing sample targets. Let me tell you, those 400 meter targets get real small even when firing from 25 meters.

The rifles used went from the simple Ruger 10-22's (some scoped) to AR15's, to Galil's to M1's to M1 Carbines to an old Mauser, and SKS's. I think one person even used his 7mm Mag hunting rifle.

Look at it this way, if it was that easy, why did only five out of 48 make "Rifleman"? I salute all those who attended and thank the Appleseed instuctors for one of the best weekends that I can remember.

If you ever have a chance to attend one of these Appleseed shoots, do so.
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 09-09-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added the SKS rifle to the list.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Toten Kopf.

Good for you. Sounds like a great event. Please put picts. up when they fix the "picture putter upper thing."
    Could you also put up a site as I have never heard of the shoot. But it sounds like a lot of ammo was shot and a good time was had by all.
    You betcha woman can shoot. For some reason my girlfriend took to my .45 and hits center mass every shot. I can't hit a damn thing with it so I gave her the weapon.
    Picts. when you can please. Thank You.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Sorry to hear about the weather, but at least it sounds like you had a good time.
    Yeah if you took any pics, please post a couple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Kemmerer Wyoming, the town so small, the town square is a triangle.
    Good group of people
    OOps you went to the one in Douglas not the one in Kemmerer
    Last edited by gunnysmith; 09-10-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Yes, this was the Douglas AS. It was the first "FREE" AS (normally $70-$90). Over 60 people pre-registered and 30 of those didn't even show up...What jackasses!

As stated, as soon as the "Gallery" (picture posting thingy) is up and running, I'll post the pictures. Some of which are pretty cool, like the one of a very young girl (8-10 yrs old) changing magazines in her AR15 during the sitting rapid fire stage. She was definitely trained well by her father.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Here are "some of the pictures", enjoy...

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.