Gunco Forums banner

Gun store horror

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  joedirt1977 
#1 ·
I went to the local gun store today, hoping to go home with a mosin nagant to add to the collection. I knew their prices were high, but I figured it'd be worth a couple of bucks to avoid the shipping/FFL hassle.

I see one on the far wall and am overjoyed. Then I notice the tag: $205, used rifle, as is no returns. I almost died. It was a Russian 91/30, no special sniper designation or anything. I may be mistaken, but aim sells the same rifle new for $70. I don't think I'll be returning any time soon.

Sorry, I needed to vent, and no one in my family understands this injustice.

#7 ·
I got a reall nice hex reciver mosin for around $75 from SOG I was shocked at how good it was came with the sling and all the acessories. i had to FFL it but it was still under a $100. I honestly was hoping for a beater to cut up and customise. seems the cheap beaters are the hard ones to find cheap, they must get cut up for parts and sold that way??

A C&R Is on my to do list.

#9 ·
Enemy at the gates..

[video=youtube;eFFjalzddkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFFjalzddkk]YouTube - M-44 Mosin Nagant Rifle[/video]

#13 ·
most of the gun stores and gun dealers made there money on parts and accessories. with the internet people no longer need gun stores or gun shows to buy what they need. you can buy it for what the dealers pay for it. many of the gun store now try to make there profit on the guns or they just quit. most of us that are regular gun collectors know when the price is high and we just pass on it.

now we no longer have any local gun stores or an ffl dealer that will do transfers and have to go 60+ miles to find one. it is a real pain. most of the do gun shows on the week ends and only will do transfers during the week days after 7pm and before 9pm.

it is just the price we pay i guess.

i was a 01 ffl dealer for 35+ years and quit in 2008 when my license ran out.
not enough money in it to do it any more. i do miss the part about not being to buy what i wanted for me, but i don't miss the dealing with the public or the govt. ( i got to old to jack with it :geezer:) i had to get my phone # changed after i quit, because of all the complainers not being able to find anyone to do transfers. there was panic among them. to bad i guess.

i may get an 03 license later.

good luck.
ron

#14 ·
Also don't forget, as far as used guns are concerned, usually the price on the tag is no where near the real cash-out-the-door price. The ticket price is inflated in order to cover trades that may occur.
I remember one time about 10 years ago I was doing a gun show and a guy walked up and wanted to trade a Carcano rifle towards a NIB Mini 14. I had a cash price listed on the Ruger and told him so but if he wanted to trade, I would allow him $50 for his rifle which was wholesale at the time. He became furious that I was "trying to steal" his rifle. He had paid $150 for it at a pawn shop so it should be worth at least $125. I thought it was funny that he was mad at me instead of the pawn shop who overcharged him...lol. Anyway, most dealers put high prices on tickets to allow ample haggle room.

#15 ·
Sometimes you can get lucky..

My uncle Marv was doing an antique weapons show. He brought his pre "64 Winchesters for something too do that weekend.
Guy walked up with an old rifle and he did not know what it was.
Asked the guy running the show if he should trade a $450 Win. for the old weapon.
An original Hawken in pretty darn good condition. With the powder horn with carvings in it.
Rite spot at the rite time.
Support our FFLs as best yah can. Without them we cant buy weapons.

#17 ·
i understand about haggle room but sometimes there is just plain insanity.

case in point....a few years ago i had just bought an M44 for $70 in great condition. a few weeks later i saw a beater M44 on the rack at Cabela's for....

you're not gonna believe this......

$450!

i've never looked at another gun in Cabela's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.