Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apex gives me Yugo wood

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Apex gives me Yugo wood

Just got my $15 yudo M70 forearm wood. Great shape I was expecting something less in good condition since most Yugo stuff is gone.
    Imagine my surprise when I got this beautiful yugo wood for my project gun.

Get them while you can guys!
    Apex A++++
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score

I ordered a pair from them about 8 months ago
    for a Tabuk build ... here they are stripped and
    BLO'd:

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I've bought 2 sets from them over the last year, and loved them both. One set had some great trench art on both upper and lower grips.

How do you guys get the cosmoline out of the wood?
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I've used a few methods, both quick and slow.

quickest ive done is black trash bag, heat lamp, and cat litter.

slower way was again in a bag with cat litter and left it out in the sun for a long time.

truely quickest was a pair of pliars and held it over the coals after bbq'ing some steaks.

DO NOT USE THE DISHWASHER.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I've used a couple different methods, but was not really pleased with any of them. When I did the furniture on my unissued Yugo M76 it wasn't as oily as my M70's but it had stained badly. I wound up using oven cleaner and a wire brush, then lots of water to neutralize the cleaner. It worked but I still didn't like it. Just kind of wondering what methods others use. Thanks Posthumous.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I soak it in lacquer thinner for a week or so, then boil the wood. The heat of the boiling water drives the thinner out of the wood, carrying cosmo and oil with it. Looks like this when done.. ETA, don't use an open flame to boil the water, do it outside as well as there's a risk of fire (haven't caught fire in the 5-6 times I've done it this way, though):
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

I've had good luck with wood bleach on rommy wood. have tryed/used heat gun on m44 stock just need to be quick with rag to wipe off casmo as it will leach back in. best over all was some scotch bright pads (red) with mineral sperits. oven cleaner will only clean the surface thats how I know about the heat gun trick. muttman

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks guys. Good info for sure.

Sjohnson, that M72 stock set looks great! Did that originally look as bad as most Yugo wood when you started? If so, then I definitely want to try that method next time.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sure did, looked like the first picture in this thread (Gunco's Yugo wood). That "after" picture of mine is also after letting the wood dry and sanding.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks Sjohnson. That is worlds better than how my Apex stocks turned out last year. I definitely need to try that method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.