Gunco Forums banner

$8.99 4lb 1911 trigger job

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Akfite 
#1 ·
Hammer 1911 Blue

since i have been messing around with the 1911 pistols lately i have come across a few things that really improve trigger pull.

you can now drop in a couple parts and have a very nice trigger of around 4.5lbs and sometimes a bit less.

these smith & wesson hammers are some of the best there is. i have installed two of them 100% drop in.

you don't have to spend $100s to get a good trigger on a 1911. from what i have seen this hammer is ofter enough.

#2 ·
Sear Spring 1911

this cylinder and slide reduced spring is supposed to lower your trigger pull by 1 1/2 lbs.

now i tried one. i didn't get 1 1/2 lbs shaved off i got less than a half pound.

my triggers were at 4lbs to begin with. i think this spring might give better results on a stock set up.

notice it got glowing reviews. it costs only $1 more than the excellent wilson combat spring. for $6.99 your certainly not risking a lot of bread , worth a try. i would try the S&W hammer first.

#6 ·
Yo my Bro j4...

So I am reading the NRA book here. Article on reducitng recoil in a .45.
Gunsmith "Cut two loops off the re-coil spring too reduce re-coil."
Hell I don't know. I am a sucker for beleiving everything I read.
So I snipped..
Did it reduce re-coil. Hell I don't know, the girlfriend shoots my .45s..
She also tests my AKs for proper head-spacing.
Here honey shoot this one, I have to go too the truck for something.
Quite a girl, I love her.
Anyone ever heard of that. Hell it still fires and ejects fine?

#7 ·
So I am reading the NRA book here. Article on reducitng recoil in a .45.
Gunsmith "Cut two loops off the re-coil spring too reduce re-coil."
Hell I don't know. I am a sucker for beleiving everything I read.
So I snipped..
Did it reduce re-coil. Hell I don't know, the girlfriend shoots my .45s..
She also tests my AKs for proper head-spacing.
Here honey shoot this one, I have to go too the truck for something.
Quite a girl, I love her.
Anyone ever heard of that. Hell it still fires and ejects fine?

gee 4th i am not a 1911 tuner/smith either so about all i can say is that some 1911 seem to like the 16lb recoil spring others seem to like the 18.5lb

i have shot mine with the 16 and the 18 the recoil seems the same to me --which is pretty tame to start with--i don't see much recoil from any of my 1911s less their shooting .400 cor-bon.

maybe a 1911 expert will chime in?---

#8 ·
I'm not the expert by any means but I don't think it's recoil that it is being reduced.
Possibly less forward momentum as the slide returns to battery. As heavy as those slides are, the more spring pressure behind it when it closes, the more you feel it when it slams home. Hence amplifying 'felt recoil'.

I could be completely wrong but it seems to reason.

Once you get that press set back up 4th, buy some 200 grain Hornady XTP 200 gr. bullets and some Bullseye powder. Work a load up with it, 5.4 grains seems to be best for me..

You get noticeably less recoil ,you shoot for half price and the 200 gr bullet still hits things hard enough to tell they were hit with a big chunk of flying lead.

#9 ·
185 swc cast are nice to shoot and with 4.9 bullseye,, very accurate for plinking and = to 9mm recoil,, cheap to load too. In 200gr,, I use XTP's also with 5.4 bullseye and they are awsome too. I use a stock recoil spring, Wilson trigger, stock hammer, honed and polished and ended up with 3.8lb trigger. If you go a lighter recoil spring it's not a bad idea to also add a shock buffer, easyer on the frame with full power loads.

#10 ·
J4, way back when you posted this, I had a friend order the hammer and sear spring for his build that I've been helping him tune.

We finally got the chance to install and test.

Just thought I'd thankyou for the heads up on them. 100% drop in and smooth as glass.

#13 ·
people wonder why i like the ole 1911 so much.

a $9 aluminum trigger, a $8 hammer and a $7 C&S dollar spring and it is a whole new ball game on trigger pull.

with any luck at all you don't have to fit anything either.

the S&W hammer was the biggest improvement by itself.

hell one of my buddies just put one in his ruger 1911 --night and day on the trigger.

#14 ·
I think the sear stoning jig just trues, sharpens and cleans up the 2 angles on the edge. It really isn't needed on anything but the GI stuff. Sarco comes to mind heh heh.
By the time you're spending money on individual parts most of them come from the factory already sharp.

I stoned the sarco sear and shrunk the disconnector hole with a staking tool from brownells. He had already upgraded the trigger and dis-connector. Changing that sear spring and hammer was the final ticket.

They raised the price a whole dollar since May. You just can't beat that deal.

#15 ·
tanvil

Loading 200 grain lead round nose copper jacketed.. Love em.. Using Accurate #2 at the minimum recommended..
Just by chance grabbed a bunch of bullets before the panic... Plus a decent enough stock of powder..
Hell loaded a thousand rounds and still have not put a dent in the stuff..
Have a number of .45s...
Damn now I have to try these triggers.. Pretty good at taking stuff apart..
Probably have to bring it too a gunsmith to get the damn stuff back together and it will all be j4's fault.. He made me do it.. :loopeye:

#16 ·
You were wise to buy that stuff before 'obama-scare'. Ain't it nice to shoot a light loaded 45? Low recoil and impressive accuracy.

For swapping the hammer, the only trouble you might find is if your hammer spur pin is staked or not. Some push right out others do not. Aside from that it's basic reassembly.
Sometimes the thumb safety needs a little bit of patience to get lined up also.

Series 80 frames are a pain though, because of that stupid extra part. But if it came out, it has to fit back in. Patience is key here.
If not, I'm sure there is still some room in the canal and J4 probably doesn't care if you pin it on him.LOL

#19 ·
tanvil..

No it was just pure chance I grabbed the stuff.. Old huge gun shop on the way back from Gainsville V.A..
Damn they had racks of powder, bullets, reloading supplies.. Now gone, but..
Items are coming back in the shop.. Lots of ammo, fair prices..
Noticing the big boys "Vendors" are going from "Out of Stock" to "Coming soon."
Something has to give, they do not sell, they go out of business..

#20 ·
Dangit you guys made me take my Springfield frame apart I had never done that and the Springfield has no retaining pin in the main spring housing that was interesting for sure good thing I had a magnetic tray and a towel down so it didn't bounce far..lol, still need to get a newer beavertail so I can use the hammer but the spring seems to make a difference

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.