Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yugo M85 No rivets.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    I'm a rivet guy... me likey rivets Others have welded the rivet heads (I think that's what you mean?) with no issues, so I don't think there will be any long-term issues with that. It is .223 after all!

If I'm understanding correctly then internally the rivet is still doing its job... you just gave it a different head. It's .223 so I doubt there will be much stress vs. a .30 cal. Should be fine. If not you can easily re-repair it with another weld!
    I like the rivets too! Nothing more appealing than the “bumpy side” of a 240B. AK’s look fine with rivets PLUS I think there is something to the welds on non-tempered flats. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The issue as I see it would be that the hardened area around the locking lugs would lose their temper and unpredictable results would happen. Premature headspace issues thanks to softer metal in that area or worse. But this is speculation and assumes so much welding was done that the heat treat of the trunion is lost.
    MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. THE OP STATED ITS WELDED FRONT REAR AN SIDES SO ITS MORE THAN JUST WELDING TO RIVET SHANKS.

I HAD A TRUNION HERE FROM A BOTCHED BUILD THAT WAS WELDED EVER WERE THE RECIVER TOUCHED AN THE THING WAS SCARY TO LOOK AT.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Several hundred rounds through this rifle, and it's still running great.
    Lot's of guys willing to buy this weapon, but it's my last krinov, so I'll keep it.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Jimmy you been a busy boy..

i did a mini tut on welding in place of rivets a long long time ago...

its like anything else we do in this hobby.. good work is good work.. crappy work fails.

several thousand rounds down the pipe of my 74 weld combo build.. still fine.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    Jimmy you been a busy boy..

i did a mini tut on welding in place of rivets a long long time ago...

its like anything else we do in this hobby.. good work is good work.. crappy work fails.

several thousand rounds down the pipe of my 74 weld combo build.. still fine.
    It's good to know someone has the balls to try something new.
    As this kit cost several hundred dollars, It was not my intent to
    build something cheap, reather something different. It helps that
    i'm a certified welder, and I do know, and understand metal.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ITS NOT ANYTHING NEW WELD BUILDS HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THERE WERE KITS TO BUILD . SOME COMMERCIAL COMPANYS DID THEM BACK IN HTE OLD DAYS SOME FAILED.

THAT KITS GONE UP A LOT SINCE YOU DID THAT BUILD.

IM GLAD ITS STILL WORKING FOR YOU.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I prefer rivets.. in the Ak build, but I don't think a welded Ak will just fail and kill ya.. The AK has two main locking lugs and unless your welding directly to the locking lugs I doubt your going to destroy the heat treatment.. There are other guns that are welded like the G3 it's sheet metal receiver is welded to the trunion in three places and they run 308. Also the (factory) yougo AK 762X39 non bulged trunion AKM has it's receiver spot welded to the trunion in addition to the rivets.. so ain't nothing new... B2B

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy t View Post
    It's good to know someone has the balls to try something new.
    As this kit cost several hundred dollars, It was not my intent to
    build something cheap, reather something different. It helps that
    i'm a certified welder, and I do know, and understand metal.

It looks great Jimmy!! Plus it's yours, and you can build it however you want to. Hell there is a production carbine from Colorado Shooting Sport that comes welded like that. They call it their "Zero Rivet Service". I don't think an 07 manufacturer would be willing to handle the liability if it weren't a totally tested process.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.