Thread: For a first handgun, get a .22LR

Feedback Score

Default For a first handgun, get a .22LR

n my opinion, anybody who does not currently possess a handgun would be well advised to start with a .22LR revolver or auto-loader. As I have written before, a .22 is the most economical (I hate the word: “Cheap!”) gun to shoot. There is plenty of .22 ammo around for less than $20 per 500 rounds. This means that there is no reason not to go out and get plenty of practice. I think that there will definitely be a place in a survivalist’s battery for a few .22LR handguns. And, it is a good place to start.
    I always have felt that a revolver is a better choice for a first time gun owner. You can load it and leave it that way. It is always loaded and ready to go. All of the springs are “at ease." Then all you need to do to fire it is pull the trigger. In my humble opinion it the best gun to start with. Later, after lots of practice, the new shooter can consider semi auto handguns--again in .22LR.
    There are a number of well made .22 revolvers available. Makes such as Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Charter and Taurus-among others-are readily acceptable for the beginner. There are only two types of revolvers-single action that must have the hammer cocked manually every shot, and double action, where you can just pull the trigger, OR, cock the hammer by hand to shoot it. I prefer the double action for serious business, but the single action (generally based on the old cowboy Colt Army revolver of 1873) is fun to shoot. The single action would be adequate to hunt and practice with, but for self defense, the double action is better.
    Revolvers generally are made to hold 6 shots. However, some are made to hold more-some as many as 9 or 10. The higher capacity guns are generally double action.
    I often have people ask me “What is the most accurate ammunition?" Actually, there is no way to answer that. Every gun is slightly different. With any firearm, it is necessary to try a number of different types of ammo to learn which is best for your individual weapon. Once you figure out which ammo works best in your particular gun, then stick with that brand and load up with it. .22 ammo is cheap enough that everybody should be able to accumulate several thousand rounds. I believe that the .22 will be the most used caliber if TSHF.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I agree except there is ammo its in sort supply around here right now.

im looking to replace my sold off ruger single six. considering a mark 2 or buck mark or another revolver.

I like the revolver because you can shot the subsonic low power stuff or even 22 mag with a cylinder swap.

get one learn to shoot it

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

My $0.02:

BUCKMARK!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

I have a buckmark, extremely fun to shoot. It has a nice light trigger pull and is very accurate in the right hands. Tactical Solutions makes quite a few upgrades for it as well. I haven't tried any though, mine is all stock, works just fine for me. I also have a single six that I shoot .22 WMR, and in about 1 minute, I can switch to .22 LR. I'm going to try and make a custom grip for it with one of those Tombstone grip kits. I'm not very accurate with the single six though. Maybe a good reason to buy a brick and spend a weekend punching holes in paper though.

Feedback Score

My 2 cents worth, Beretta Neos.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I learned to shoot a handgun using a S&W M17.

Feedback Score

Agreed the .22 is the best place to start.
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score

I have a charter arms explorer II pistol with an 8" barrel. It handles like a howitzer, but is fairly accurate for, and I will use the word"CHEAP", pistol. Hollow pionts jam it, but the gestapo is going to ban them anyway. With am improvised stock it is a hoot to shoot.

Feedback Score

I won't say how much, but I have enough .22LR ammo to last for many years. I plan to use at least 1,000 rounds each year for practice for years to come. And, I can do it! For years I have been buying a brick here, a brick there. When it came on sale I would sometimes buy several. I still have a lot left over. But, if I don't do anything with it, it won't do me much good. So, I'm heading to a secret place where I can shoot all I want without bothering anybody. Rifles and handguns in .22, plus, my other more powerful "toys."

Feedback Score

My buddy's wife is looking seriously at the Walther P22 for her first handgun. It is very accurate and has a good feel and balance. It is for her CCW. She doesn't like palm size guns, because the grip is too small. Of course the 22 has very little kick, but is still effective at most any range.
    (The first handgun I ever shot was my Dad's .357 Magnum Python. Way too much kick for a 12 yr old.)

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.