Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is the 45ACP the best handgun?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well you got to look at stats some or you got nothing to compare.

I read in [/U]gun mags years ago the 357 had the highest percentage of stops
    on real leve people. the above link isa test on goats. an there is one on pigs some were as well.

the fact is according tot he experts your more likely to die from a 357 vs a 45 acp round . so if you had to choose id take a hit from a 45 acp..

what type of gun is better can be depated all day . A auto is more likely to fail after its first shot IMO an revolver holdsd less rounds an is slower. how ever a double action revolver only need to have the trigger pulled for the first round were the 1911 will need to be cocked as its not DA,

In the middle of the night in my bed room if Intruder were to come in he will be met with a 4" 357 with hot loads. all I need to do is find it an squease. I used to have a model 39 S&W in 9mm in its place but after a bump in the night situation were I was naked half a sleep an droped the mag out trying recall how to use the dam thing I decided a wheel gun was a better in home set up. when I was married she was taught all you need to do is aim an squesee it was that simple . later she learned to cock it for a better aimed shot first.

IN a real world no leo situation I bet 99% of defensive shootings are less than two shots.

as far as the tokarev goes I have read a lot of times before the 357 mag came along it was the most powerful production hand gun round. at 1500 fps in a t33 its got a lot going for it . at 100 yards its still able to hit with very little compensation drop if any. I have no idea were it would place on the list above but it would be up there with hollow points IMO .

I have a 9mm largo ( 9x23) an its no slouch loaded right.

If I can ever find a non chromed lined barrel for a tokarev Im going to open it up to 9x23 Winchester an it will do every thing a 357 can in a auto . I have actually looked into a making a longer than stock barrel for it in 9x23 win or 38 super so it can also be used for hunting an have a compensator. were the 9x23 win rates is a good guestion but if a 1911 can be done in 7.62x25 it can be done in 9x23 win an im sure has been.

its my under standing a 9x23 is at 357 power or better . if it can be the same as 357 in power an load then you could have a your cake an eat it to.

more an more criminals have bullet proof vests an I also think in this day an age a rounds ability to defeat a vest needs to be considered as well as its ability to shoot through car doors an other things.

I see in the list that that some 9mm loads are in the 90+ % range . not to shabby .

all of them are going to work if you place the round well.

inside noise an hearing damage are also a consideration . I don't want to be in a bed room when a 44 mag goes off your ear drums can be ruptured .

there are a lot of variables imo . im sure in all but long range the 45acp is going to do what you need it to do . you would not want to be standing 150 yards away if I was shooting at you with my tokarev or my 357 black hawk Im amaised how on they are at those ranges .

whats behind your target is also a concern will your round go throught the house an kill you neighbor .

if a were a leo id want to be able to shoot through a car door well. maybe through two. if im a home owner then I want it to no kill my son in the next room . again lots of variables.

there is if you carry the weight an size concerns . what round.gun combo can you live with day in an day out ????? the first time you don't pack that 45 acp 1911 because its to heavy or big will be the time there is trouble .

imo the best round is the one you are the best shot with that meets minmum guidelines or better. you got to hit it to stop it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Almost any round 9mm and up will do the job if you do yours.
    9mm got its bad rap with FMJ ammo. A good HP round brings it up with the other big guys. My CCW is a 400 Corbon just to throw another round in the mix.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

pfft .... everyone knows that .500 SW mag is widely considered the minimum accepted caliber for self defense.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Although I cut my teeth on 1911 45 ACP pictols, my favorite is a CZ75 type pistol in .40 S&W. Excellent platform. Super reliable. Excellent man stopper round. Still decent capacity. Plus you can get compact models for CCW.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Just looking at so called stopping power or kill shots is only one aspect of a handgun use. And while important., it is only one part of a selection.
    What is 'best' involves several factors. A 90 pound individual looking for a CC weapon will have different needs than a game hunter sidearm or home protection for a 6'2' skilled shooter type individual.

Concealed carry
    Ease of use
    Dual bullet/cartridge use., eg 38 Spc. and 357 mag.
    Weight
    Size
    Sight radius
    Operation simplicity
    Recoil
    Overall parts simplicity
    magazine capacity
    ergonomics of operation
    hand size/grip size

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i know a lot of people who carry those little kel-tek p-11 type pistols --most often the single stack one that holds 7 rounds of 9mm.

the trigger is hard and rough , accuracy is marginal beyond 10 meters , and 9mm from such a shot barrel is sort of --not in the big leagues.

so why is it so popular? cause is is as small as a deck of cards-- and it weighs nearly nothing as well.

it has more than enough firepower for a last ditch defensive pistol --beats the hell out of a derrenger--LOL--

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I also like the S&W 1917, M25 and Taurus Tracker 45ACP revolvers. I keep a Taurus Tracker 2 inch 45ACP revolver next to the bed. Another 45ACP pistol I like is the STAR PD compact which you can find used at reasonable prices.

Feedback Score

I like the .45acp. It's my choice calibre. In glock 21sf. I don't think its calibre so much as hitting what your aiming at. The Mrs is a .380. Personally, I don't want to be shot period regardless of bullet size. So a .22 would make me think twice.

Feedback Score

I figure the best one is the one you have on you...

Feedback Score

Everyone should have a 22lr, 9mm,44mag, and 45 so they can make their own decision...''

If the rule comes down to limited mags. Then the .45 once again is king.
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.