Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Is the 45ACP the best handgun?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    There is no denying the .45 is one heck of a round and the 1911 is a inspired design.

How John Browning dreamed up the gun is a mystery divine.
    I agree. I never knew how hard it must have been to design the 1911 until I built one from oversized custom parts. Every part must work perfectly with the parts around it and those parts must work with the ones around them. If they dont it may work, but will fail prematurely. I had to study the design thru and thru and came out of it with a feeling of awe for John Browning. And I have a 1911 that I know is "perfect" for my troubles!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Friggen A..

They even named a beer after it.. You wont see no .9mm beer.. Hell no..
    Real Mans gun.. .45..
    When you absolutely positivity have to gain weight. Colt .45..
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 04-23-2013 at 03:25 AM.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A good buddy of mine has stated for years that the all around best pistol cartridge for two legged critters is .45ACP.

His favorite cartridge is 185 Gr. Semi-Wadcutter in soft cast lead. He has all of the data to show that EXCEPT for a few more rounds of capacity, this is the best thing going. This is a guy who used to compete in Pistol Matches every weekend for a $200 pot. And that is how he fed himself for two years. Not kidding.

.45 is potent to be sure. If everybody carried one, America would be the most polite place in the world.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    There is no denying the .45 is one heck of a round and the 1911 is a inspired design.
    Note that Browning's design had no grip or thumb safety, a 6" barrel, and was chambered in .38 Colt.

The shorter barrel, safeties, and .45 ACP were specified by the US Army.

If you want a "pure" Browning design, you need to look at the earlier, pre-Army pistols where he wasn't working to Army requirements.

How John Browning dreamed up the gun is a mystery divine.
    He didn't just pull it out of his butt. It was the end of ten years of development, starting with small blowback designs, then the locked breech designs.

Browning had a whole array of solutions to pick from; when he went on to design the Hi-Power, he picked different ones as needed. He wasn't completely free to do what he wanted there, either. FN and their customers sometimes had different ideas. Some Browning purists get upset that Dieudonne Saive changed so many things from what Browning was working on when he died; in practice, it was almost certainly due to customer requirements.

No TV, no internet, not much in the way of entertainment; a lot of guys worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. And as you noted, the design of the gun was only part of it; dedicated machinery had to be designed at Colt and FN to make all those intricate parts. I'm not enough of a 1911 fanboy to know exactly who designed the machinery, but given the state of the art in 1911 and 1935, whoever was responsible gets a big "attaboy" from me...

How "good" a gun is depends on what you expect from it. By modern standards the 1911 is bulky, heavy, complicated, and expensive. But it fulfills the Two Requirements:

1) the gun MUST go "bang"
    2) the gun must go "bang" AGAIN

The 1911 has over a century of proving that, under all the conditions on the planet.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

bulky and heavy? you ever try to pistol whip some ass with a glock? --

you shoul try that some time if you think a 1911 or 357mag pistol is a bit too "heavy"--

being made of STEEL rather than plastic still have a few critical advantages.

the only reasons any of us ever carried the glocks over the 1911 was the glocks were smaller and a bit lighter. any time the weight could be spared the 1911 was the usual piece.

delta has carried about every hand gun imaginable over the last 20 years--what is deltas carry today i ask you?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i built one of these 6" long-slides on 45 acp which is closer to the original idea of JB.

all i can say about it is it is the smoothest, slickest , soft recoiling, easy to use and dead on accurate and reliable as all get out. -- i don't know much more you could ask a pistol to be really--

everybody who shoots it- it becomes an instant favorite.

from the 6" some of my light p+ loads are straying into 45 super like power --and the recoil is super tame too. the extra length on the slide makes it easy to charge in a round--only downside to the 6" is it is a little heavy compared to a 5".

i'm trying to come up with a 10mm conversion kit for it ---

the army did a FUBAR when the cropped this puppy to 5"--LOL--

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Note that Browning's design had no grip or thumb safety, a 6" barrel, and was chambered in .38 Colt.

The shorter barrel, safeties, and .45 ACP were specified by the US Army.

If you want a "pure" Browning design, you need to look at the earlier, pre-Army pistols where he wasn't working to Army requirements.

He didn't just pull it out of his butt. It was the end of ten years of development, starting with small blowback designs, then the locked breech designs.

Browning had a whole array of solutions to pick from; when he went on to design the Hi-Power, he picked different ones as needed. He wasn't completely free to do what he wanted there, either. FN and their customers sometimes had different ideas. Some Browning purists get upset that Dieudonne Saive changed so many things from what Browning was working on when he died; in practice, it was almost certainly due to customer requirements.

No TV, no internet, not much in the way of entertainment; a lot of guys worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. And as you noted, the design of the gun was only part of it; dedicated machinery had to be designed at Colt and FN to make all those intricate parts. I'm not enough of a 1911 fanboy to know exactly who designed the machinery, but given the state of the art in 1911 and 1935, whoever was responsible gets a big "attaboy" from me...

How "good" a gun is depends on what you expect from it. By modern standards the 1911 is bulky, heavy, complicated, and expensive. But it fulfills the Two Requirements:

1) the gun MUST go "bang"
    2) the gun must go "bang" AGAIN

The 1911 has over a century of proving that, under all the conditions on the planet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.