Thread: Issues with Inter Ordnance/I.O. Inc PPS-43C pistol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Issues with Inter Ordnance/I.O. Inc PPS-43C pistol

Hey guys. I've debated putting this out there for over a month, and wanted to give I.O. the benefit of the doubt, but they're still giving me the run around, so here goes.

I purchased a new PPS-43C pistol from Carolina Guns and Gold/Payday Jewelry and Loan here in Asheboro back in November of 2012. I took the pistol out to test fire it after cleaning it, and had multiple issues. I had fail to feed issues, fail to fire issues resulting from hammer follow, and the worst was that on multiple instances the pistol would actually come unhinged at the rear and open up while firing under recoil. I took the pistol home, cleaned it, and returned it to the FFL, since I figured they'd have better luck getting Inter Ordnance to repair it than I would.(They've had a reputation for bad customer service in the past.)

According to the tracking on the shipped pistol, Inter Ordnance took possession of the pistol for repair on or about December 10, 2012. After about a month and a half or so, Sal, the manager at the FFL, Carolina Guns and Gold, contacted Keith, the individual in charge of repairs and returns at I.O. He advised Sal that he'd check and call him back. There was never any call back. I also called and inquired. I left voice-mails for Keith, I spoke with Keith on 2-3 occasions, and was always told the same, "let me check and I'll call you back". Sal also tried multiple times over the course of the following weeks and also received the same response from Keith. Finally, about 3 weeks ago, Sal spoke to Keith again and Keith stated that a new, replacement PPS-43C pistol would be sent out the following day. One week passed, then another. Then Sal called them again, and finally, this week, my PPS-43C arrived back at the FFL. However, it was the exact same PPS-43C pistol, exact same packaging, and no repair work had ever been performed. It actually didn't look like the gun had been removed from the box it was shipped in, as the original tag was still in the same place it was in when it was shipped.

Sal at Carolina Guns and Gold called I.O. again when he saw the pistol and realized the situation, and was told the same BS line, "Let me check and I'll call you back." That was yesterday. Today, I called I.O. and spoke to Keith, and explained the situation, and was told the same BS line. I gave him a half hour or so, and I called back, this time, he wouldn't answer the phone, so I called again and spoke to someone else. I explained the situation to her, and she advised me that Keith was gone for the day, and that I should call him back in the morning. In other words, SSDD.

At this point, I just want a functional gun. I paid $400 and some change for what I thought would be a neat range toy, and a potential future SBR project. Instead, I would up getting a gun with tons of issues, and nothing but the runaround from a company who claims to back their products, and on top of that, I haven't even been able to take possession of my gun in almost three months.

I intend to forward this post to Keith at I.O. Inc, but I honestly don't think it will do any good, however I'm hoping they will see this as a chance to improve on their customer service issues and make this right. However, after all of this, I honestly would advise anyone contemplating purchasing a firearm manufactured or imported from I.O. to heavily reconsider their decision. You may get a good gun, but if you don't, you're pretty much screwed. And, I'm not doing this to try and soil a company's name, I'd honestly hate to see a fellow shooter and firearm enthusiast get burned.
    Last edited by NCshooter26; 02-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Feedback Score

I have one of those and it functions flawlessly, What kind of ammo are you running thru it?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Sorry to hear about this.

The main thing I see is the part about the upper unlatching while firing is going to help you.
    Since your being given BS from IO why not BS 'em back?
    Next time you or your FFL get a hold of anyone at that company let them know you recorded this malfunction while firing and showed it to an attorney, he agrees it's an unsafe firearm and a liability for the company that has it's name on it, and you would like a replacement if this one can not be fixed.
    Companies don't like to know they can be sued for something, it might give you a little leverage to get this fixed or replaced.

It most likely will still take months so keep a record of the dates you contact them and basically what is said.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Sorry to hear about this.

The main thing I see is the part about the upper unlatching while firing is going to help you.
    Since your being given BS from IO why not BS 'em back?
    Next time you or your FFL get a hold of anyone at that company let them know you recorded this malfunction while firing and showed it to an attorney, he agrees it's an unsafe firearm and a liability for the company that has it's name on it, and you would like a replacement if this one can not be fixed.
    Companies don't like to know they can be sued for something, it might give you a little leverage to get this fixed or replaced.

It most likely will still take months so keep a record of the dates you contact them and basically what is said.
    Coils is dead on. Also if you happen to have a friend who is an attorney, have them send a letter on their practice's letterhead. if they think they're just dealing with an irate customer, they'll give you the run around. If they think they're dealing with a lawyer over an unsafe firearm, they'll pay attention.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

My PPS-43 has a FTE issue from time to time. All I've run through it so far has been Romanian.

My little belt fed Razorback in 22lr runs lousy too. I've always considered both "novelty" guns at best, so have yet taken the time to really work out the bugs in either one. Hell, my MG42 build still isn't reliable beyond two rounds without some feeding issue.

Some day I'll have to really focus on all three of these and get them running as they should. Too many projects, too few hours in a day.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I agree RetVet with the FTF (feed or fire), FTE issues might be able to be fixed by the owner if he feels like messing with it.
    But to me the big issue is this part, it's just unsafe;
    and the worst was that on multiple instances the pistol would actually come unhinged at the rear and open up while firing under recoil.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Just an update guys. I finally was able to speak to Keith, the individual in charge of repairs at IO. It took me 3-4 calls to reach him, including leaving him un-returned voice-mails. I was fortunate enough to speak to someone there who was helpful who had Keith speak to me. I gave Keith the serial number, and he looked up the work order on my pistol. He advised me that work had in fact been done on the pistol. He said that they'd milled out the opening for the catch in the rear of the receiver, and that they'd replaced the FCG. He stated that they in fact had test fired it. There was no information included with the returned pistol to indicate any of this work was done, so needless to say, I was surprised.

While I'm glad to hear that work was performed on the pistol, they could've at least cleaned it after test-firing it. I went to my local FFL this afternoon to pick up the pistol, and was greeted by a nice coating of flash rust in the chamber, inside of the muzzle end of the barrel shroud, and on the underside of the bolt. Needless to say, I wasn't happy, but at this point, if it's functional, then I'll be OK. I plan to take it out this Sunday to test fire it, and I'll let you guys know.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Interested to hear if it's running correctly now. Please post after your Sunday outing. Hope it runs great, as these are fun guns, and I like the .30 Tok.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ANY TIME A SURPLUSS AMMO IS USED IN X25 IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED RIGHT AWAY. THEY SHOULD HAVE CLEANED IT.

HOPEFULLY IT WILL RUN RIGHT NOW.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.