Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SKS's--I like them!

Feedback Score

Default SKS's--I like them!

I haven't read much about the SKS on this forum, so I thought I would give some general information on this reliable old military weapon. The SKS was a short term Russian response to the German MP43, which was the first true ďassault weapon; described as a rifle or carbine that was chambered for an intermediate cartridge. A few years later the SKS was replaced by the world famous AK47 which used the same cartridge..
    The SKS was introduced late in WW2, too late to make much of a difference in that conflict. It was the first firearm made for the 7.62X39 caliber. It was a fairly simply designed gun, which was rather heavy (being over built contributed to its toughness). They generally weigh around 9 pounds. And, they always shoot and there are plenty of spare parts available for them. There is also a large list of after-market accessories for this gun.
    Although it was not in service very long in the Soviet Union, it was produced in large numbers in many other Communistic countries. Today, you can find SKSís made in many former Soviet satellite countries.
    I personally like the SKS. I purchased a number of them during the days when brand new ones sold for less than $100. I think that even today you cannot find anything better for the price. I think that every survivalist should have at least 2 of these in the collection. In addition, a few thousand rounds of ammo would be good to have.
    The SKS would be a good rifle to cache along with 500 rounds of ammo. Hiding a few of these underground in the wilderness somewhere would be a good idea. That way, no matter what the gun grabbers do, you would have guns available for TSHTF situations.
    I donít believe that anybody will go wrong if they possess a few of these fine old rifles.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE AK WILL DO EVERY THING BETTER IMO OR AT LEAST CAN BE MADE TO. I ALSO THINK THE AK IS STRONGER IN THE BOLT AN LUGS.

I HAVE A RUSSIAN UNISSUED MILLED AN ITS A GOOD GUN NO COMPLAINTS . THE LACK OF A DETCHABLE MAG IS A BUMMER BUT I CAN BE MADE TO USE DETACHABLE MAGS IF I WAN TO GET ALL THE OTHER 922 STUFF. NOTHING WRONG WITH A SKS I JUST THINK FOR WHAT IT IS THERE ARE BETTER CHOICES.

ID LOVE TO HAVE ONE OF THE CHINEASE VERSIONS THAT TAKE AK MAGS.

CASHNG GUNS WILL BE ILLEAGLE IF THERE BANNED SO DOING THIS WILL GET YOU IN HOT WATER IF CAUGHT. ID WATCH THE ADVISING POSSABLE CRIMINAL ACTS ON THE NET. ITS ALSO LIKELY ILLEAGLE TO BURRY OR HIDE ONE OFF OF YOUR PROPERTY AN IF SOME ONE ELSE FOUND IT ID NOT EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT THE RAMMIFACTIONS LEGALY .

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I like the sks and bought a milled/screwed chinese one when they were $80 in new condition back in the late 80's, and ammo was about the same for a 1400 round tin. I eventually found that I wanted a more accurate gun and sold it. I realized the error of my way pretty quick as it was a fun gun to shoot even with the fixed mag. When the yugo sks's hit the market I bought an unissued one and have been happy with it although with all the grenade junk on it it is more nose heavy than the chinese one was.

Feedback Score

I have one SKS that has a 16 inch barrel and has been modified to take AK mags. It is smaller and seems to be handier to shoot. However, I was a automobile mechanic for many years. And, when I look at the welding inside this rifle, it is atrocious! I would never have allowed anything out of the shop that looked that sloppy. I may decide to redo some of it. But, having said that, it does shoot well. I haven't had any problems with it yet. It might last for ten thousand rounds with no problem. But, then again, it might break down at the most inopportune time. So, I would like to try to upgrade the welds a little. Otherwise, I like the gun and the fact that the same mags fit it and my AK47.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVE THREE RECIVERS SITTING HERE THAT WERE MESSED WITH AT ONE POINT TO TAKE MAGS AN NEVER FINISHED OR SOME THING . THERE BEEN SOME GRINDING AN WELDING I SHOULD DRG THEM OUT . IM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THEM . I MIGHT JUST THROW THEM ON GB . THEY GOT BE WORTH SOME BUCKS.

IS THERE ANY GOOD PLACE TO GET PARTS FOR A SKS iD NEED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE BARREL .

Feedback Score

Sarco has an (A) kit and a (B) kit, the b kit has all the a kit parts + a stock if I remember right.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The Simonov Carbine is a fine example of late WWII engineering. Until the AK-47 came into evaluation, the SKS was considered the Bee's Knee's by the standards of most of the Militaries of the world.

I can hit Torso sized targets at 500 Meters, and I can do the same at 600 about half of the time. Reloading the SKS via ten round stripper clips is fast and easy once you have practised it for a short time.

Most people think that the fixed 10 round Magazine is a problem. I disagree. There is NOTHING to lose, and NOTHING to break.

If the end of the world came, and all I could choose from was an SKS or an AK, I would be hard pressed to take the AK.

Just my $0.02 Gents....I think the SKS is a very fine firearm. Oh, By the way.....I have put 3500 rounds through a Romanian SKS without any cleaning, using Chinese Brown Laquer cased ammo. The Brown case stuff was supposedly RPK / RPD Specific, and had projectiles that wieghed 152-154Gr. Sks is a fine rifle. Everyone should own as many as they can find.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

A Chinese SKS was the first rifle I shot and my first rifle purchase was a Yugo SKS. I'll never get rid of it. 1biggun, There have been several Chinese SKS; that accept factory AK mags, floating around the local gun show and a few shops. I've seen them as low as $350 a few years back to around $450 recently. A good price in this climate!
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have had several over the years, and still have a couple, both 59 Yugos. Ones in a draganov (sp?) stock, the other , a new one,, as issued and still in cosmoline. I've liked every one I've ever had,they shoot pretty damn good too and a bunch of folks around here use them for deer rifles. Not my first choice bye any means, but they work. And that's all some could afford at the time. Yup,, used to be 89. bucks at Century for VG-EX ones. Gone are the days!

The one I have in the ATI stock shoots very good. It's surprised me,, that's why I keep it. When a bunch of us get together to shoot at a buds house, we put 20 clay targets out on branchs in the woods at different ranges, then we shoot one at a time taking turns,, most hits wins. We go from about 30 -125 yards, they look pretty damn small at 125 with open sights!! At least with my old eyes they do! I've just got one of those cheap 4x and mount kits. Mines nice and tight too, I had to stone it down a bit cause it was to tight (there made that way) and it stays true.

Unfortunately not allot of bang for the buck anymore. There more than a new Savage bolt gun.

Feedback Score

The only bad thing about that standard SKS is that they are quite heavy. But, that means that they are over-built. That way they are as tough as an anvil and should lst forever, or close to it.
    Actually, the SKS is one of my all time favorite firearms. And, I plan to keep the ones I have no matter what Swinestein or Obama Bin Laden do!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.