Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the Rossi Wizard

Feedback Score

Default the Rossi Wizard

One firearm I would like to discuss is the Rossi “Wizard.” I believe that we have mentioned it a little but, I would like to delve a little deeper into it. Although it would not serve as a first line defense gun, I think that there is a place for this type of weapon in a survivalist’s collection.
    The Wizard is a single shot rifle. That means that you have to reload it one shot at a time after you shoot it. T By no means is this a rapid fire gun. But, if you are hunting or target shooting, this gun should do just fine.
    The thing that I like best about this gun is that it comes in 3 rim-fire calibers (.22LR, .22 Magnum and .17 HMR). These are all good little cartridges which a survivalist could use.
    It also comes in 6 shotgun gauges (.410, 28, 2X12 gauge and 2X20 gauge).
    And it comes in 2 muzzle loading calibers (.45 and .50).
    Best of all, it comes in 9 rifle calibers (.223, 22-250, .243, .270, .308, 30-06, 7.62X39, 35 Whelan [35-06] and 45-70).
    It is also available in 3 handgun calibers (.38 Special--.357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and .454 Casull).
    The great thing about this rifle is that you can buy just the barrels in whichever calibers you desire. A person could buy one or two rifles in his favorite calibers and later purchase barrels in other calibers. And, unlike H&R/NEF, you do not have to send the gun in to have the barrels fitted. You can order the barrels locally or via mail and when they arrive, it takes a minute to change them. Currently there may be a problem. I did an on line search for extra barrels and they seem to be in short supply at this time. Midway is back-ordered on most of them.
    I have heard that the 6 most popular rifle calibers in America are: .223, .243, 270, 30-30, 308and the 30-06. And, the wizard is available in 5 of them, all but the 30-30. I would like to own 2 or 3 of these guns and about 6 or 7 other calibers. I want the most popular calibers. You can almost always find ammo for them somewhere.
    Another thing that I like about this gun is that all barrels come with iron sights. I will admit that my tired old eyes can use the aid of a scope, but, the irons are good to have in case that the scope breaks. Irons are good for backup.
    I already have 3 H&R/NEF single shot rifles. I could send one of them back to the factory and have it fitted for the other 3 calibers that I lack. Then I would possess guns in the 6 most popular rifle calibers sold in America today.
    As I said earlier, I believe that a single shot rifle would suffice for most of your needs as a survivalist. Only in a shootout with others would repeaters be more desirable.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have been looking at the Rossi Wizard for a while, and I am just about to buy one.

The upside you have already covered, and I agree with you. Hell, the barrels are available used for less than $100 for the most part, especially for calibers like .270, .243, and 20Ga.

The downside seems to be the "Ejector / Extractor". It does not always catch the rim of the shell, and the mechanism gets locked up.

At roughly $250 for the rifle, I am willing to roll the dice a bit. Once I get one I will post up more info. It is a great concept, and all but ban proof; an important consideration out here behind the lines.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I THINK THE H&R /NEF IS A BETTER GUN . I HAVE SWAPED A LOT OF BARRELS ONTO MY RECIVER AN MOST OF THEM FIT CORRECTLY AN IF THEY DONT THEY CAN USUALY BE FITTED. I HAVE A 45-70 AN 20 GUAGE AN A 22-250 MADE OUT OF A 1-9 TWIST 223 BARREL. EVERY THING I HAVE READ SAYS THE H&R SHOOTS BETTER . I ONLY KNOW ONE GUY WHO HAS BOTH HE USES THE H&r ON VARMINT A LOT AN SAYS IT OUT SHOOTS THE ROSSI

IM ALWAYS LOOKING FORA GOOD DEAL IN A HANDI RIFLE /SHOT GUN BARRELS .

ID LIKE TO FIND A REALLY CHEAP ONE TO STUB AN MAKE A 7.62X25 OUT OF . I PASSED ON 12 GUAGE BARRELS A BUNCH FOR UNDER $50 AN OW THEY SEEM TO HAVE GOTTEN HARD TO FIND. I HAVE A 16" BARREL INSERT IN X25 FOR MY 20 GUAGE WORKS OK ID LIKE A DEDICATED BARREL.

BACK WHEN 7.62X25 WAS CHEAP ROSI AN H&R COULD HAVE SOLD A MILLION OF THEM IF THEY HAD JUST MADE THEM I REALLY COULD NOT UNER STAND WHY THEY DIDNT AT LEAST OFFER A BARREL . AMMO WAS 7 CENT A ROUND AT ONE POINT ( I WISH ID BOUGHT 20,000 ROUNDS)

IF IM BUYING A 22 FOR MORE THAN $100 ITS NOT GOING TO BE A SINGLE SHOT. THERE ARE MANY CHOICES IN THAT MARKET.

FOR A GUY ON A BUDGET A 308 AN 12 GUAGE ROSSI COMBO WOULD GET YOU HUNTING. WITH THE COST OF TAGS, GAS, PROCESSING, TIME TO GO ETC ID RECOMED A BETTER GUN AS THE COST FOR A UP GRADE IS SMALL COMPARED TOT THE BIG PICTURE.

IM SURE THERE FINE FOR SOMEONE WHO JUST WANTS GUN FOR BASIC HOME PROTECTION AN POSSABLY HUNTING FOR FOOD .

MY FAVORITE SURVIVAL GUN IS A SAVAGE COMBO WITH A 223 TOP BARREL AN 20 GUAGE ON THE BOTTOM IT IS READY TO GO FOR ANY THING A PRETTY ACCURATE. I WISH THERE WERE MORE INEXPENSVIE COMBO GUNS MADE . I THINK A 243 -20 COMBO WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE. THEN ADD A 22L INSERT FOR THE SHOT GUN BARREL .

IF ROSSIE OR H&R WOULD JUST MAKE A BREAK OPEN HUNTING PISTOL FOR $175 ID BUY ONE IN A HEART BEAT. H&r USED TO SELL A PISTOL I THINK THAT LOOKED LIKE A HANDI RIFLE RECIVER .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

MOST OF THSES WERE LOST TO A PREVIOUS GUN GRAB . ID LOVE TO HAVE ONE IN A HUNTING CALIBURE . THE H&R HNDI GUNS THAT WERE SHOT GUNS ARE ILLEAGLE UNLESS THEY WERE REGISTERED ( SOUND FERMILURE?)

fourten shotgun resources - H&R Handy Gun

IF ROSI WOUL MAKE ONE OF THESE IN 243 OR SOME OTHJER DEER CAPIABLE CALIBURE ID BUY ONE. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS NOT A LOW COST HUNTING OR TARGET PISTOL??????? SEEMS LIKE THEY COULD MAKE THEM FOR $150 LESS WOOD LESS BARREL.

Feedback Score

Rossi does offer the Wizard in .243. I want one myself.
    One good thing about having single shot rifles is that they will be the last guns that the freedom haters will come after. But, the day will come when they will be trying to take away ALL GUNS! That is the way that the Hitlers, Stalins, Tojos, Idiot Amins, The Communist Chinese and Obamas of the world always operate. With them it's all or nothing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

what kind of arm you have won't matter as their after ammo as well--

i suppose the up side of a one shot deal is you won't shoot up the stock pile so quick.

Feedback Score

I have not seen one in person, but Rossi does offer a pistol version of the wizard.
    Also one of the moderators on graybeard outdoors swapped a wizard barrel onto a handi rifle, I do not remember what if any work had to be done. It would not surprise me if they outright copied the nef/hr design.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    what kind of arm you have won't matter as their after ammo as well--

i suppose the up side of a one shot deal is you won't shoot up the stock pile so quick.
    For fun and pleasure, I like single shot rifles.
    As for ammo, you better get it when you can. I started when Slick Willie was President, so I have enough to last the rest of my life. Maybe I won't waste so much ammo using single barrel guns. I currently have several NEF/H&R rifles to play with.
    But if, God forbid, I need something a little more "tactical," I have that covered, too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have not seen one in person, but Rossi does offer a pistol version of the wizard.
    I d be interested if they do .

another problem with a single shot is they suck for shooting off a bench or laying on a matt. every time you load the tdam things you got to take the gun off the bags or bipod to hinge the barrel down. I shot one a few hours on praire dogs an it sucked. I spent more time trying to find my last target an get resettled in on it than I wanted.
    for a deer hunter who thinks one is enough great but they suck for target shooting , bench shooting or anything were trying to spend a lot of time finding an zeroing in on targets. id rather have a single shot bolt action over a break open any day.

I like my 45-70 H&R for what it is a big heavy bullet one time .

Feedback Score

I, too, have an H&R 45-70. It does kick, but it is so much fun to shoot. Most of my guns are working guns but I consider the 45-70 to be my "Fun Gun." everybody should have at least one gun just for the fun ofit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.