Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New barrels for my H&R rifle

Feedback Score

Default New barrels for my H&R rifle

Although I have an amount of ammo for it, I don't currently possess a rifle that uses 30-06 ammo. I have thought about maybe buying a cheaper model of Savage, Ruger, Marlin or possibly a couple of others. I think any one would be sufficient.
    But, I am also thinking of another approach. I have a single shot H&R/NEF rifle in 45-70 caliber. It is fun to shoot. I like this gun really well. I don't need the 45-70 caliber, but, I have it and plan to keep it. I have some ammo for it, too. And, when I visit local gun stores they seem to be able to obtain a few boxes of that ammo. So, It's a keeper.
    However, H&R has a program where you can send in the action of any of their single shot rifles that you have, and they will fit it with barrels of other calibers. So, I am thinking of doing this. They charge $96 for a 30-06 barrel. There are also a charges for fitting the barrel and shipping the gun back. I don't know what these charges are. But, it would probably be an economical way to obtain a 30-06. For me a single shot would work. I would not plan to use it for defensive purposes.
    H&R also offers a 50 caliber black powder barrel for this action. The cost is somewhere around $115, I think. I believe that having a black powder rifle would be good, especially in a survival situation. So, I am considering doing that. It would make me have ONE rifle in 3 calibers-one being black powder. I don't think that it would cost much more than $300 for everything-two barrels, fitting and shipping.
    I really want to do this.

Feedback Score

You could always search pawn shops for used handi rifles. I have paid as little as $120 for a 45/70. Shotguns are usually 50 to 100.
    Most common caliber I find them in is 243.
    Probably best source of info on handis is the graybeard outdoors forum. There is a good bit of traffic in the handi section and its classifieds. There are tutorials as well on fitting barrels if you decide to go used.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the cheaper models of the marlin xr7 and the savage bolt actions shoot like "daniel boon " on a good day.

some of them in 30-06 can be had for under $300 brand new in the box.

it is never a bad idea to hit up the local pawn shops for a used savage in 30-06.

i have seen them bought for as little as $200 with the scope--

hell i bought an edge in 308 a couple years ago brand new with the scope and the camo stock for $335 taxes and ffl transfer.

the damn thing shoots like a $1,000 tuned up rifle.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Marlin 4 + 1 30-06 Springfield/22" Blued Barrel & Black Synt $332.00 SHIPS FREE

this is a very nice rifle for the money IMHO--

the price of a barrel goes a long way on covering the cost of one of these marlins or savages, it is worth considering anyway--LOL

Feedback Score

I have considered some of these options. Looking for used H&R single shot rifles locally, all I've seen so far was a used one in .243 with a scope. They were asking $225 but I have always been able to dicker them down on products that I bought there. I'm sure that this would have been the same.
    What I like about having several barrels for one gun is just that-ONE gun! No one would know that I have extra barrels for one or two of my guns. There would be no reason.
    I have other items that I plan to cache, but I think if I was found to have a couple of single shot rifles, hopefully the jack-booted ones wouldn't be able to make too much out of it.
    But, you never know. I have heard rumors of government thugs planting guns in the homes that they raid in order to "prove" their point. I hope freedom returns to America some day.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dario541 View Post
    I have considered some of these options. Looking for used H&R single shot rifles locally, all I've seen so far was a used one in .243 with a scope. They were asking $225 but I have always been able to dicker them down on products that I bought there. I'm sure that this would have been the same.
    What I like about having several barrels for one gun is just that-ONE gun! No one would know that I have extra barrels for one or two of my guns. There would be no reason.
    I have other items that I plan to cache, but I think if I was found to have a couple of single shot rifles, hopefully the jack-booted ones wouldn't be able to make too much out of it.
    But, you never know. I have heard rumors of government thugs planting guns in the homes that they raid in order to "prove" their point. I hope freedom returns to America some day.
    thats true and every firearm has a sort of nich role it fills, and it really depends on how much 30-06 ammo you got on if it justifies buying a new rifle or not.

big bang for the buck with some of the new bolt action rifles like the savage and the marlins. their $300 rifles shoot like rifles costing serious money out of the box.

i think the basic savage axis 30-06 is $290

now i got an edge in 308 --same rifle as the axis it is a great shooting iron. i few little goofy things like the mag with a plastic latch and it is difficult to load through the top like a normal bolt action. very accurate, quick handeling and light weight. the trigger is pretty good too.

now i think the marlin is a little better --in some small areas like it has an adjustable trigger and i think it can load from the top.

the more up-scale savage rifles have about the same set up as the marlins.

and a while back i was seeing some single shot EAA/izzy russian 30-06 rifles for $179 NIB-- i don't know if there any good. but they should be good shooters.

but yea-- go hit some pawn shops. the 30-06 is a popular round. all kinds of rifles have been chambered in that for the last 100 years--so there has got to be some buys out there.

one of my neighbors traded a .22 mag bolt action and a hi-point 9mm pistol for a very pristine savage 30-06 from the 70s. it even has the old school weaver scope on it.

i hated to tell him he just stole that 30-06!

Feedback Score

My favorite gun stores is selling the Savage Model 11 and 111 for around $300. They come with a scope. I might be happy with one of them in 30-06 if they have it. I'll find out as soon as I get my Income tax refund.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

My favorite gun stores is selling the Savage Model 11 and 111 for around $300. They come with a scope. I might be happy with one of them in 30-06 if they have it. I'll find out as soon as I get my Income tax refund.

there ya go --there are quite a few savage bolt actions in 30-06 in the market. they have been popular with hunters for decades on end.

ask um about the marlin too--seems like one of our hunting supply stores had that marlin on sale before deer season for about $300--you never know when you might come across of for about that.

Feedback Score

While it is true that quality rifles in 30-06 are out there, I still would like the flexibility of having one gun that can shoot several different calibers. Having both bolt action rifles in one caliber and a single shot in several is actually not out of the question.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

While it is true that quality rifles in 30-06 are out there, I still would like the flexibility of having one gun that can shoot several different calibers. Having both bolt action rifles in one caliber and a single shot in several is actually not out of the question.

i do that with the ar-15

i shoot 5.45x39, 7.62x39, 6.5g and 5.56 from the same lower --i could even swap barrels and use the same upper but since uppers are not all that expensive i use a upper for each barrel so a cal swap is just pop in the new upper and swap out the bolt.

but yea i see where your coming from.

nothing wrong with a single shot rifle , i have come close to buying one of those eaa russian imported rifles in single shot 30-06 back when they were $160 NIB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.