Gunco Forums banner

Hard Chrome

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
Anyone used Mahovskysmetalife for firearm hard chroming?

#7 ·
Used them many a yaron ago for 1911 "racegun" frames. Besides adding a few molecules thickness to the rails the hard chrome added a year or two of wear resistance to a well used pistol. They did a good job, just be aware he expects fully prepped parts and full disassembly, he just dunks them. Charges to take stuff apart and you get a box of parts back regardless. When we had some neat one of a kind custom doodad sent to him, on occasion the thing would come back fully assembled! I guess he liked those so much he wanted to try them out.

Besides, he was John Thomas Rourke's finisher and gunsmith of choice back in the day. If his finish can survive a Nuclear Apocolypse and 1,000 years of use after.....

#9 ·
FROM HIS SITE .

High Phosphorous Electroless Nickel
Our high-phosphorous electroless nickel is among the most corrosion resistant on the market today. It can be applied over a fine bead blast finish to produce a non-reflective surface, or it can be applied over a highly polished surface to produce a bright nickel finish.

The nickel also works well on guns that are highly pitted by sealing off the pores from oxygen, thus preventing further rusting.

A good application for this nickel is on riot shotguns where a high corrosion protection is required. This nickel can also be applied to guns with aluminum frames.

The following photograph shows the Electroless Nickel on a semi-automatic handgun. This is our standard nickel finish. Electoless Nickel over a bead blasted surface.
I TRIED TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS PROCESS A FEW YEARS AGO AN CAM UP BLANK.
GANDER MOUNTAIN SENDS THERE STUFF SOMEWERE .

I WANTED TO DO SOME AK PARTS TO GO WITH A STAINLESS BARREL. INTERESITNG STUFF. THINKING TRUNIONS , RECVIER , SELECTER, AN S FEW OTHER THINGS . WONDER THE COST.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.