Thread: Hard Chrome

Feedback Score

Default Hard Chrome

Anyone used Mahovskysmetalife for firearm hard chroming?

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Aside from the fact that I can't even spell that, can you provide some details or a link so that I can educate my ignorant self, please?
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've never used them, but some really big-name 1911 builders seem to like them.

Feedback Score

They have fair prices and my need is hard utility matte more rust resistant finish not ”BLING”. Looking at ”Nickel Boron” as another choice. Been DIY Gunkote over Parkerizing on my rifles but want something tougher.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Used them many a yaron ago for 1911 "racegun" frames. Besides adding a few molecules thickness to the rails the hard chrome added a year or two of wear resistance to a well used pistol. They did a good job, just be aware he expects fully prepped parts and full disassembly, he just dunks them. Charges to take stuff apart and you get a box of parts back regardless. When we had some neat one of a kind custom doodad sent to him, on occasion the thing would come back fully assembled! I guess he liked those so much he wanted to try them out.

Besides, he was John Thomas Rourke's finisher and gunsmith of choice back in the day. If his finish can survive a Nuclear Apocolypse and 1,000 years of use after.....

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Used them many a yaron ago for 1911 "racegun" frames. Besides adding a few molecules thickness to the rails the hard chrome added a year or two of wear resistance to a well used pistol. They did a good job, just be aware he expects fully prepped parts and full disassembly, he just dunks them. Charges to take stuff apart and you get a box of parts back regardless. When we had some neat one of a kind custom doodad sent to him, on occasion the thing would come back fully assembled! I guess he liked those so much he wanted to try them out.

Besides, he was John Thomas Rourke's finisher and gunsmith of choice back in the day. If his finish can survive a Nuclear Apocolypse and 1,000 years of use after.....
    Thanks for the tip KK,
    Rather aluminum oxide matte prep my own stuff, don't want any shiny pimp finish to dazzle the hogs before the hammer drops.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

FROM HIS SITE .

High Phosphorous Electroless Nickel
    Our high-phosphorous electroless nickel is among the most corrosion resistant on the market today. It can be applied over a fine bead blast finish to produce a non-reflective surface, or it can be applied over a highly polished surface to produce a bright nickel finish.

The nickel also works well on guns that are highly pitted by sealing off the pores from oxygen, thus preventing further rusting.

A good application for this nickel is on riot shotguns where a high corrosion protection is required. This nickel can also be applied to guns with aluminum frames.

The following photograph shows the Electroless Nickel on a semi-automatic handgun. This is our standard nickel finish. Electoless Nickel over a bead blasted surface.
    I TRIED TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS PROCESS A FEW YEARS AGO AN CAM UP BLANK.
    GANDER MOUNTAIN SENDS THERE STUFF SOMEWERE .

I WANTED TO DO SOME AK PARTS TO GO WITH A STAINLESS BARREL. INTERESITNG STUFF. THINKING TRUNIONS , RECVIER , SELECTER, AN S FEW OTHER THINGS . WONDER THE COST.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Brownells sells the electroless nickel setups, download their instructions here:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/le...lessNickel.pdf

I think I would prefer the NP3 from Robar over plain nickel. Pricey as hell, but top quality stuff.

NP3 Plus

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.