Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any recomendations for a barn kept 12ga shotgun?

Feedback Score

Default Any recomendations for a barn kept 12ga shotgun?

Can anyone recommend a cheep but good 12ga shotgun that would be good for keeping in a barn? I'm thinking used but what models to look for? I should have picked up one of those C&R Norinco's a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Find a cheap used rusty NEF or H&R single shot. Unless you oil it up real well and store it inside a waterproof bag, any repeater is gonna rust up and jam pretty quick. Especially if left in the open, every critter that can get above it will smell you on it and pee all over it. At least the H&R will be cheap to replace.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The Chinese H&R 870 clones can be had for around $165 new. Degrease it real good and hit it with a couple of THIN coats of BBQ grill paint for corrosion protection and oil it up with lots of CLP.

Or as the Kernel said above a H&R break open can be found for cheap and you wouldn't be out much if it got screwed up too bad.

Feedback Score

Thanks, this will get me started any others please post. I'm of to contact Joe Biden to see what his expert advice is!!! LOL

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a junker 12ga single shot. Eastern arms or something like that, it was given to me by someone 20-25 years ago. Keep it off the concrete and try to remember to oil it every year or so. Birchwood casey sheath is good if they still make it, otherwise spraypaint isn't a bad option. I wouldn't put anything out in the barn you'd get upset about rusting or disappearing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

All of my out buildings have at least one gun and I found a piece of PVC pipe with a screw off end cap (I use Vaseline as a sealer on the threads),and a glue on cap on the other end and some pipe hangers to hang it from the wall studs seems to work out very well for me. I just keep one of the plastic "anti rust" storage type bags in it too, and keep the gun oiled up well, and you'll have no issues at all. I've got a beat up Mossberg 500 that has been kept that way in my garage for years,, 0 rust or dust.

As a matter of fact when you asked about storing options RodM1,, it dawned on me that I hadn't checked it in a couple years,, so I took a look and all was fine with it, just like when I put it in there. I also keep one of the De-humidifyer bags or a hand warmer in there too to pull out any excess moisture. It's cheap, simple and it works very well. PVC pipe is your storage friend for lots of stuff. I keep long term storage/ dehydrated Mt House type foods in them too, there a good way to go and way cheaper than some of the storage tubes you can buy.

If you have access to them, the storage tubes for arty shells, mortar's, and rockets, work well too, but the last ones I saw were quite expensive compared to PVC, and unless you live close to a base, not so easy to find cheap.

Feedback Score

I've seen older pump shotguns at gunshows for $75. Look for one that doesn't look shot as much but may look rough. Clean it up good and rig or cosmoline the bare metal. Hit the wood with something too. Keep a rubber over the barrel and action closed. My bedroom shotgun is an old crusty wards westren field/stevens that I rescued from the clutches of bubba by facing off a bad saw job and putting a bead back on it. It has 20" of barrel but before bubba it probably had a 30"er or so.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

'Barn kept'... why not get a storage bag or some 4" PVC tubing and just put it away in a corner? Then you're all set. Just oil it up good and maybe add some desiccant bags from shoe boxes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think I'd heard that some where's before hcpookie,

Hey,,, I got to abuse ya when I get the chance ya know!!!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What has been said so far is about the best advice.
    The only thing I can add is if you want it so you can get to it quickly, is just put it in a plastic bag that you can easily rip open.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.