Gunco Forums banner

A gun for the little woman.

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Don 
#1 ·
Inasmuch as I have owned different kinds of firearms during the last 60 years or so, most people who know me consider me to be a bit of an expert. Well, I don’t know about that, but I have had a number of different types and learned how to use them. So,I can admit that I do have some experience with guns.
Because of the escalating epidemic of crime that's occurring in America, some men are thinking that, because they are unable to be with their wives every minute of the day, these ladies need a gun to protect themselves. A question I often hear is : What would you recommend for my wife? I want something that is a smaller size that she can handle and has enough horsepower to get the job done. Is there anything that would work for her?
My answer is : “There ain’t no such animal! If there was, I’d want one for myself. The thing is, that to have power coming out of the barrel, you’re going to have recoil on the other end. You gotta take it to give it! Has she ever fired a gun before?” Most of the time the answer is “no.”
So, then I make some recommendations. “If she is new to shooting, a revolver is preferable. It can be kept loaded and ready to go with just a pull of the trigger. If she gets a misfire, she can just pull the trigger again to cycle another bullet beneath the hammer. (A new shooter should not have to learn the 2 handed procedure to clear a semi auto handgun until she has had some experience IMHO).
I recommend that she get at least a .38 Special. If her hands are large enough, I would get her a .357 Magnum and shoot .38 Specials in it. If the extra power is ever needed, the gun could handle it. Also, if you can afford it, get a .22LR revolver which is similar to the other revolver. .22LR is cheap to practice with and, if she is a novice shooter, she needs a couple of thousand rounds under her belt to be fully proficient. And, if possible, she should get some professional training. You can’t do better than that!
You can’t just hand a gun to anybody and say: “Here you are. Now, you’re protected!” It doesn’t work that way. It’s like playing music; you need practice, practice, practice! Once she reaches that [point, you could purchase a high capacity semi-auto pistol for her. But, nothing less than 9X19 Luger. I think that at that time she would be qualified to protect herself and her family if it ever becomes necessary.

See less See more
#2 ·
I got my wife a Glock 26. She likes it but she is tiny and it is hard for her to conceal that on her body. I love revolvers. I usually carry a S&W 642 Airweight along with my Glock 19. Yuppers. 2 gunz. But I wouldn't recommend a snubbie for any new shooter not just women. They are hard to shoot accurately as it is even with experienced shooters if they have never handled them. although easy an reliable there are other options out there that have a higher capacity and just as easy to handle. One thing I didn't think of when I got my wife her 26 is her comfort of carrying one in the chamber without a safety so it looks like a trip to the funstore is in my near future. Same with the revolvers with her though. She doesnt like the idea of carrying something without an external safety.

I have trained her though to shoot comfortably and handle the Glock though. I think it boils down to the shooter. I just give my opinion and let them make up their mind. Silly me though i can't even convince her to wear what I like to see her in much less that Glock is the way to go lol. My advice would also always involve a common ammo type. .38 Special is good, but I would usually advise 9mm, .40 cal, or good ol' .45. There is a reason Police and Military use them.

#5 ·
I'm no expert, either. I said that some folks think I am. They think more of me than I do! But, I always have liked revolvers. And, I think that I would rather see a new shooter with one of them than most semi-autos. At least until they get some experience. Then, they can name their own "poison!"

#8 ·
my wife prefers 22 lr pistols, but she likes my sig P series handguns in 9mm, but for her plinking its her walther P-22 and Ruger single six,
my sister jus got a Glock 19 in 9mm,which she likes a real lot

for woman I thnk that is a good range 22lr to 9mm

#9 ·
I think any gun is better than no gun. But, I prefer a good revolver for beginners. Having said that, I think that I would like to own a Kel-Tec PMR-30 (I think that's the model). It holds 30 rounds of 22WMR ammo. It would be hard to beat as a defensive weapon for just about anybody.

#10 ·
I got my wife a charter arms pink lady last year and its fit and finish is not the best.lets face its not a s&w but it is mechanically sound and dependable plus the fact that its pink and she thinks its Purdy means she's more likely to have it on her instead of leaving it at home.

#11 ·
Not an expert by any means but been shooting all type of guns for over 50 years. I firmly believe that everyone should choose their own carry gun. It should be one that they are comfortable with in operation and can shoot accurately, not one that is my preference but is their preference. My wife loves to shoot and will shoot almost any type of gun at the range and normally can shoot it well. She carries daily and she choose a S&W 642 with a CT laser grip as here personal carry weapon. She said that she choose it because of there being a less likely of a problem if in a high stress situation with the operation of the gun. It is light weight and easy to conceal, there is no safety to turn off, just aim and pull the trigger. If there is a misfire round just pull the trigger a second time, no slide to rack, very little to go wrong. I encouraged her to make her own decision on her carry gun choosing something that she is most comfortable with and can handle with proficiency. She is happy with her choice and I am happy that it is something she will carry verses something that is sitting at home in the safe. We go together to the range weekly and carries daily.

#12 ·
I recommend that she get at least a .38 Special. If her hands are large enough, I would get her a .357 Magnum and shoot .38 Specials in it. If the extra power is ever needed, the gun could handle it.
I agree

I feel you are right on the money here. If an when I will carry it will likely be a 357 revolver with a short barrel. It will be double action an I want a hammer that can be pulled back for a lighter trigger if I have time an also for general shooting .

About 5 years or more ago I heard a bump In the night an as I spring to action a 3am still half as sleep I grabbed my wonder 9 an proceeded to get ready for Zombies. ninjas, or burgurlas, I decided id better load it but I had it on half cock so I could not rack the slide once I realized that in my barely awake an confused state I decided to fid the safety an proceeded to drop the mag out on the floor as I had got the mag release an safety mixed up now I was ready I thought but still wasent sure if the safety was on or off or if I had inserted a empty or loaded mag in the gun in the dark . Im doing all this in my under wear.

the next day I put the wonder 9 that I really didn't shoot enogh to know it back in the safe an replaced it with a 38 snub nose DA revolver.

Some times having a lot of different guns can be a issue even for a guy who shoots a lot .

For a untrained person who does not shoot a lot an likely never will a 357 snub nose loaded with 357 is perfect . she or he can practice with light 39 loads an dosent even need to shoot it in 357 really. If the time every comes to use it for defense the 357 will hit close enough in pistol range an provide a lot more energy .

In the real world if you cant get it done in 2 or 3 shots your dead or the situation is over. Id be willing to bet that of all the defensive shooings ever done only about 2% have been more than two shots.

I have actualy considered a light weight but larger frame derringer in a 357 or 9mm as a concealed carry weapon . I don't want to be lugging around a heavy gun In the off chance I might be robbed or attacted . if I am an I cant stop it with two shots or the fact I am showing the fact im armed ( I don't belive in pulling a gun unless your going to fire ) then Im likely going to be injured or killed anyway . Id rather have a gun I can carry with out thought like my wallet. phone , keys than some thing that is difficult to carry in all situation .

I saw a guy drop a gun out of a holster the other day trying to take a piss . he had a inside the belt on his hip rig an when he undid his pants to piss the gun came out . I was a little concerned since he was at a bar an drinking , never a good combo.
also a violation of our new concealed laws here.

Id like to try a ankle rig of some sort if I do carry. weight is my concern . Im in jeans an a T shirt a lot .

Id love a smart phone with a 3" barrels 380 or some thing installed in it but there illeagle im sure an If I pulled my phone its not likely to stop any one unless I shot .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.