Gunco Forums banner

Interesting Failure. Can it be Repaired?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tommo 
#1 ·
I have an older Mossberg 500 barrel cut down to 18.25".

The lug that allows mounting to the magazine tube has broken free. I'm not talking about the captive screw. I'm talking about the entire lug. It broke away from the barrel.

I gather these were silver soldered on. Does anyone think this can be repaired? Or is my barrel scrap?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Ya it should be able to be re-silver soldered back on without much issue. Of course refinish will be in order, no biggie there. Replacement barrels are reasonable for the Mossburgs too and there's lots of options available.

That's only the 3rd one I'd heard of one coming loose,, other than by neglect. Be sure to inspect the barrel real good though, there may be other issues,, like someone shooting it when the lock nut was loose. That can cause a problem. Like cracks or bulges in the barrel to,,,,not good. I've seen that happen before from that failure to make sure the nut was tight. Mic the barrel in the lug area for any change in size and inspect for cracks(magniflux it would be best) just for shits and giggles. One I'd seen had cracked there.

I had a unknown/suspect action I had checked and it only cost me 8 bucks to have it checked out 2 years ago,so any real good machine shop should be able to do that cheaply. It's cheap insurance if you ask me,,,,just to keep all the body parts in one place!! Just me being fussy again,,,,but a microscopic crack could cause ,,no end of issues if it let loose!! LIKE NO FINGERS TO PUMP THE FOREARM WITH!!! 8-10bucks, or,,,, keep all your fingers,,,Hummmm ???? Your choice to be safe or not .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.