Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's the .308 for me!

Feedback Score

Default It's the .308 for me!

There is a lot of debate about the best all-around caliber for a defensive rifle. There are many good choices out here - 30-06, .270, .223, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, and on and on. Along with many others, these are all good choices. I own some of them myself.
    But, my choice for my primary firearm is the.308 Winchester (7.62X51). It has a lot going for it. Normally, it is amply available. Being a semi-current military caliber it is popular around the world. You should be able to find this caliber anywhere that has ammo for sale. You can buy imported low cost ammo for practicing and higher quality ammo for serious work. It functions fine in semi-autos. It is very accurate in most types of firearms. It is easy to reload. There is nothing to dislike about this caliber.
    Having said that, I used to lean toward the 30-06. This caliber is the one that EVERYTHING is compared to (...itís almost as fast as the 06, itís a third again as fast as the 06, itís as powerful as the 06, and so it goes). And, most of the virtues of the .308 also apply to the 06. The 06 has been used for years with good results by military snipers. It has a lot going for it.
    But, I recently watched a program on the History Channel where Marine snipers were target shooting at 1 mile with their .308 rifles! And, they were hitting their targets! I was impressed! So, even though the .308 doesnít have quite the power of the 06, I believe that it will be sufficient for my needs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Oh Ya,,,308 and 06 are by far my go-to's for just about everything. There very versatile with all the projectiles and loads available for them. Hell with a 06,,you can damn near shoot everything from squirrels to elephants with them. A 6.5x55 and 270 are no slouches either, those are my,next,, 2 favorite calibers for hunting and long range!! There is a bunch of wildcats out there that are impressive too,, but all around 308 and 06's are the "just the ticket" and hard to beat for all around use, IMO. And it won't drive ya crazy finding brass and projectiles for them, like it does for wildcat calibers. I got away from all the wildcat stuff years ago.

Feedback Score

I currently have rifles in several other calibers, but, if I had to grab one and run, it would be the .308. I think that caliber will handle anything I find here in Oregon.

Feedback Score

The 308 is no slouch, but my favorates are the 6.5 X 55 which I handload 100 gr to 140 gr. and the 270 which I load 110 to 150 gr. Reason being the ballistic coefficient (BC), a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight is much better. That makes for flatter shooting. Both have killed many elk with clean kills.

Feedback Score

There are so many good calibers out there. And, new ones come along every year. I could live with any of them. But, a couple of years ago I decided on the .308 Winchester/7.62X51 Nato because of the abundant supply of low priced imported ammo. You could buy it by the case for a couple of hundred dollars. That gave me plenty of fodder for practice or for whatever. Of course, the current political situation has caused those supplies to dry up. And when you do find any, the price is much higher. I'm thankful that I stocked up while the opportunity was there. Those who waited are now unable to find any.

Feedback Score

Double tap. Friggin dumb phone.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dario541 View Post
    There are so many good calibers out there. And, new ones come along every year. I could live with any of them. But, a couple of years ago I decided on the .308 Winchester/7.62X51 Nato because of the abundant supply of low priced imported ammo. You could buy it by the case for a couple of hundred dollars. That gave me plenty of fodder for practice or for whatever. Of course, the current political situation has caused those supplies to dry up. And when you do find any, the price is much higher. I'm thankful that I stocked up while the opportunity was there. Those who waited are now unable to find any.
    Killed deer & hogs here in Texas with everything from 5.45x39/.223 rifles to 50AE/500S&W handguns and many calibers in between . My favorite is the one in my hands that can put the projectile in the correct spot. Know your own and the weapons accuracy limits, headshots at 35 or 300 yards. Practice makes perfect. Goes for throwing sticks with broadheads too!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

for hunting ill stick to the 30-06 over the 308 . I hand load an the 30-06 will do a more than 308 will any day faster an with heavier bullets if loaded to the strength of a modern rifle . . IM going to be lots better off I in the 180 grain bullets an up in my 06

for personal defens the 308 is over powered in my opinion . I don't really see a need for a defense weapon in that high of a power . Id say its a great personal offense round . I don't invision figting a battle with any of this stuff I do invesion beign attacked or having my home invaded . I don't think a high recoil harder to control louder weapon is my first choice.

the 308 is close an its a good choice an brass is more available . an there used to be more surpluss 308 ammo but most of its gone or sky high .

farm an fleet has 30-06 they don't have 308

I have several guns in both BTW bolt an auto .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

for hunting ill stick to the 30-06 over the 308 . I hand load an the 30-06 will do a more than 308 will any day faster an with heavier bullets if loaded to the strength of a modern rifle . . IM going to be lots better off I in the 180 grain bullets an up in my 06

for personal defens the 308 is over powered in my opinion . I don't really see a need for a defense weapon in that high of a power . Id say its a great personal offense round . I don't invision figting a battle with any of this stuff I do invesion beign attacked or having my home invaded . I don't think a high recoil harder to control louder weapon is my first choice.

the 308 is close an its a good choice an brass is more available . an there used to be more surpluss 308 ammo but most of its gone or sky high .

farm an fleet has 30-06 they don't have 308

I have several guns in both BTW bolt an auto .

Feedback Score

I think that, if my opponent was carrying a rifle in 223/5.56 or 7.62X39, I would be served better by the .308 as it has a longer range than the other two. I'd rather not get into a shootout with someone who has a similar gun. I'd rather have a little more power. If (during the lst couple of years) I could have gotten new, low priced, imported ammo for the 30-06 as easily as I could for the 308, I would have been plenty happy with that one. But, now, I am well stocked with 308 and 30-06 is not readily available. So, I have what I have and it will have to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.