Thread: A viable 3 gun battery

Feedback Score

Default A viable 3 gun battery

I want to offer up what I think would make a good three gun battery for survival use.

For starters, I have an old pump Winchester .22 rifle. It is probably around 100 years old. A neat feature of this firearm is that you can turn a knurled bolt on the side and break the gun into several parts. This makes storing it easier. It is a reliable old gun that is fun to shoot. There are newer versions (such as Henry) available. Everybody should have a .22 and thousands of rounds of ammo.

Next, I have two twelve gauge pump shotguns. One is a Mossberg and one is an old Smith & Wesson (Yes, at one time they did make shotguns!) The Mossberg is more versatile because it has 2 barrels- one of 18.5 inches and one that is 24 inches long. One for defense and one for hunting. I have never had any kind of failure with either of these.

Down through the years, Remington has made special pump-action rifles for police agencies. These are equipped with bull barrels and come with iron sight (the rear sight is a “Ghost Ring” sight). I believe that you can occasionally find high-capacity magazines for these rifles. Although they are available in several calibers, my choice would be .308 (7.62X51). J&G SALES recently was selling some of these gun but I cannot find any on their great web site now. I think I’ll try Gunbroker.com.

Having all three of these guns with the same type of action should make practice easier as well as training you muscle memory. It could be confusing to some folks to have one gun be a bolt action, one a pump, and one a semi-auto.

Feedback Score

I have Rossi Trifecta that has barrels for 22lr,20 gauge and 243.

Feedback Score

I have no Rossis, but I do have several H&R/NEF single shot rifles. I think that they are both good products for both of us.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have a 7.62x39 insert for my H&R handi rifle 20 guage barrel i leave the insert in the gun for storage . I could do a 22LR inert as well If I awnated to off set the bore .

I also have a savage combo break down gun in 22lr /410 its a very good set up for a single weapon survival package it will shoot 22lr for small game shot for birds an a slug on deer. I had a 223 20 guage set up an I sold it to my dad an wish I had not . it was good for every thing.

I have seen 22lr /12 guage combos an one of those with slugs an an shot would be a very good do all . Add a rifle calibur insert that the gun can handel an you can kill every thing from rats to elephants an doves to gease out of the air .

Im doing a swap barrel AK that will cover a lot of the bases . It will even have a black powder muzzel loader barrel at some point .

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I have a 7.62x39 insert for my H&R handi rifle 20 guage barrel i leave the insert in the gun for storage . I could do a 22LR inert as well If I awnated to off set the bore .
    1biggun , where did you find an adapter for 7.62? I am looking for one for long time now and all i find these days when i search is adapters from 20ga to pistol calibers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1biggun , where did you find an adapter for 7.62? I am looking for one for long time now and all i find these days when i search is adapters from 20ga to pistol calibers.
    I made it on a lathe. I can make you one for about $130 on a new .311 blank likley lees on a 308 bore take off barrel . price would depend on length an materials.

what guage do you have ? an what brand gun ? You need to watch running a 7.62x39 on a shot gun frame . a 7.62x25 is a better choice . x39 has about 7000 pounds of bolt thrust . On a H&R you really should have a rifle reciver the shot gun recvier is not tempered in told . H&R will not put rifle barrels on there shotguns

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I made it on a lathe. I can make you one for about $130 on a new .311 blank likley lees on a 308 bore take off barrel . price would depend on length an materials.

what guage do you have ? an what brand gun ? You need to watch running a 7.62x39 on a shot gun frame . a 7.62x25 is a better choice . x39 has about 7000 pounds of bolt thrust . On a H&R you really should have a rifle reciver the shot gun recvier is not tempered in told . H&R will not put rifle barrels on there shotguns

Feedback Score

Ok, here is the deal. I was thinking for long time of a poor mans drilling. For survival, camping, you name it.
    So, it's a Savage Fox B Series H, double trigger, side by side 20ga.
    The thing is i spend too much money on C&R guns to be able to afford a drilling.
    After what you are telling me it could be a bad choice do to high pressures. No wonder there is a lot of pistol round inserts out there.
    I'm here to learn.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.