Gunco Forums banner

Springfield XDS .45acp

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Black Blade 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone.

I am serious looking at a Springfield XDS for a concealed carry weapon and was wondering if anyone here owned one or has fired one. I have my mind set on getting a .45 acp for concealed carry and this seems like a perfect package. It fits my hand well and frankly 5 and 1 in the chamber seems like plenty of fire power to me, especially if I carry a spare magazine or 2. They do make 7 round mags for this that extend below the frame.

So what's the word?

#2 ·
I'm the proud owner of the XD-M .45 Competition model with the 5.25" barrel. One of my favorite .45's.

Now, the "original" XD series .45 has a serious shortcoming that is discussed I am pretty sure on the XD forums. The redesign was incorporated into the XD-M series, and so if the XDS is "not" an "-M" model then I'd look closely at those shortcomings. You might not have issues with it but when I was shopping, it stuck me that the shortcoming is a design issue that needs to be addressed by a gunsmith.

My other XD is a .40 sub-compact. Nice but not as accurate with the shorter barrel... rather, I'm not as good with the shorter barrel :) That one I keep as a dedicated home defense round placed in a strategic location in the house. The XD-M series gets my thumbs-up!

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure they are the hottest selling handgun in America today. I want one too & Copes has / had some at a pretty good price. All the reviews I've read were two thumbs up. But like all small large caliber pistols, not something you'd want to shoot all day.

#6 ·
I figured it must kick like a mule, but, I am not looking for a target gun. I am looking for a compact platform for a .45 acp that works reliably.

#7 ·
Been looking at them myself for a few months. They sell out fast at my LGS though. Not a great fit for my paws. Reviews are mixed and some say the trigger pull is a bit heavy while others say it's a smooth trigger. Might still get one but I'm not in a rush to get one yet. If you get one let us know how it works out.

#9 ·
Well, I think I am going to buy one for a retirement present here in July. I will let you guys know what I think.

#11 · (Edited)
I picked up my XDs the other day and took it out to shoot it today. I set the target with a silouette on it up for 10 yards. I figured that was probably the max that I would consider for a concealed carry self defense scenario. I used Winchester white box 230 jhp and 230 fmj for the test. I wanted to make sure hollow points would function in this pistol. All tolled I put about 100 rounds through it.

I quess I was surprised at the lack of felt recoil. Of course there was recoil, but nothing like I had expected. I wouldn't put it at much more than my 1911. Easy to control and easy to get back on target for a second shot. It grouped nice but I need to adjust myself to the sights, it seems to shoot a little low the way I have become acustom to the sights on my 1911. No big deal, I just adjusted my point of aim.

My son brought along his 9mm pistol and he is pretty good with that. After the first shot with the XDshe looks at me and goes "HOLY SHIT!" He thought the recoil was pretty harsh, but then said maybe because his hand is so big it is hard for him to get a good grip. All in all he liked it too.

With minimal time with it I give it a great rating and recommend it. It came with two 5 round mags, a plastic paddle holster, a plastic magazine holder, a different backstrap to change the grip, a lock, and a hard plastic carrying case.

#12 ·
They are decent, I've got a couple buds that have the XD's and I've shot them before,, there not bad at all,,but again, I don't care for plastic guns,,,,still!!!! One had the issue the early ones did, the other was 100% and they did shot OK
Not liking polymer guns I bought a Bersa ultra compact 45 Pro model 7+1 instead, for my carry, there basically a Sig copy. I put some pics up here quite a while back after polishing up the action ect., maybe you saw it. I love it and it's more accurate than the XD's too as well as being less expensive,,,,mags,,,,not so much, 45- 47 a pop,,ouch! If you can find them now.

Matter of fact,, I liked it so much I went out and got a matching ultra compact one in 9mm, 13+1, both great shooters with that polygonal rifling. They were 389, for the 9,,,410ish for the 45, each with 2 mags.

Those are a good option for those of us that don't like plastic guns ,want a gun that is 100% reliable ,don't cost an arm and a leg and accurate. I haven't seen any of the 45's or 9mm lately though, just 380's. All the shop owners say there real popular and they can't keep them on the shelf very long. Heard no bad reports about them either, just mine, about somewhat weak bluing. But then again,,,I have mine in a holster when I'm out jostling about on the 4 wheeler,,,a bunch,, that may cause more too. After about a year or so of this, I'm just starting to see wear at the end of the slide but not to badly. But it's a working gun, no biggie.

For a poly framed gun I did like them better than most others of it's type I've handled before. I probably shoot it better than most too. I seem to have an issue with polymer frame guns,,I don't seem to be as consistent with them for some reason, must be trying to overcome 50 years worth muscle memory with steel guns,,,all I can figure. But I'm defiantly less accurate with poly framed guns.

#13 ·
It is my first polymer handgun too. I had a prejudice against them too, until I laid out what I wanted to the guy at the gun counter and he gave me some options and I liked the XDs the best.

Choices, it's what makes the shooting sports so much fun.

#14 ·
Glad to hear it works for you!

I'm with you on plastic vs. metal. Really the fact that Glocks have been around for so long with no major issues (aka "frames just exploding all the time" kind of issues) then I believe at this point in the plastic gun development it is safe to say the technology is well enough established that you can count on them. If they just announced plastic guns well that would be another story :) IF there suddenly starts to be a huge buzz about plastic guns breaking, well I'll revisit my investment.

If you are completely "old school" and don't have any plastic, even on your pistol grips and hand guards, then you can always invest in a ParaOrdnace... all metal AND double stack .45 goodness. :cool:

#15 ·
If I could have afforded it I would probably have went with a compact 1911 of some sort. Perhaps a Springfield EMP, except they don't come in .45, only 9mm and .40.

I guess for the most part, I liked my Springfield 1911 and just assumed that the XDs would be a quality pistol coming from them.

I think I would have had a VERY hard time concealing a double stack ParaOrdnance 1911!!

#16 ·
You bet, hauling a hog ain't easy FU, I toted my full sized, with a muzzle break,,,Springfield 1911 around for years,,,and years,,,,,to much!!! I really think the polymer frame guns have come along ways and have proved themselves by now. So I have confidence in them now.

Give me a break guys,,,, it took me 20 years to think aluminum frame guns were OK!!! Taken me just about that much time to admit the plastic guns are ok,,,

didn't think ya'd ever hear that from me ,,,,now did ya,,,,,,,:slap::lol::lol:

That being said,,,believe it or not,,,,I'll have a new S&W 380 Bodyguard here about Wednesday or so, getting one outa Buds for 399 with shipping, and a $20 transfer,IMO to much for Tupperware, but they have the best reviews for that kinda gun. I'd like something super light and easy to carry, my PohishP-64 or the PPKs are my norms lately, I sick of carrying hogs legs and I don't really want to beat up the PPK, the Polish OK. Plus I'm not really out and about that much so don't need much, need more of a noise maker to keep the critters away and something that has more balls than a 22 in that size. Even the 22's are bigger and heavier than the Bodyguards. A Silver Tip has pretty good punch for a 380, and that's what she'll be munching on.

What ta hell,, going to give one a try.

Also had a weak moment this morning and bought a Crimson Trace laser for my Bersa 9 , and when I got back,,,,mounted it, sighted in and dusted off a couple box's,, I like it, very much. I was surprised to see that I could see the dot in full sunlight at 10 yards,,,,a bit tough, but do-able. Showed pretty good on the black, but tougher to pick out on the white. You defiantly need sights to get on track and close if you wanted to depend on the laser, but why would you???? It's daylight,,,duh!!! Lasers are for dark spots. For sure it's going to be very effective during times you might need a laser, and this is a bed side/ occasional carry gun anyways, my only handgun so far with one. I was able to keep everything with-in a 3" group doing a 2 handed hold from waist level at 10 yards, I'm very happy with that, especially during full sun. Very small and the gun still fits in the same holster,a plus. We'll see if the switch gets bumped or not after carrying around in a holster for a bit, it seems pretty positive though and not to prone to getting bumped on,,we'll see.

I did do some trading and dickering, so it didn't hurt quite so bad, but,, still enough,,especially sense I was in that area only to buy new tires for the car ,,,,,ended up an expensive day, all and all. I knew I shouldn't have stopped at the fun shop!!!! DOWWWW!! SUCKER!!!!

Life goes on,,,,just another day in paradise :cheers:!!

#17 ·
Hey twa2471,

Let me know how you like that S&W .380 BodyGuard. My wife has been eyeballing one of those for a while now as a self defense gun and if you can give me a positive report on it I will surprise her with a little present that goes BANG!

By the way, I prefer to call .380 the 9mm Kurz or 9mm Corto. It confuses the shit out of some people and they seem to be more impressed with it being called, in essense, 9mm short than .380. I kind of find that a little funny.

#18 · (Edited)
Shall do bud.
I'll do up a range report straight from my South forty.
I've been looking at all the mouse guns for quite a while too and that's the one that feels the best to me and has the most workable sights of the bunch, plus a laser. It is also only one that has second primer strike capability if it doesn't happen to get a complete slide cycle or if you find a hard primer. The S&W and the Rugers are the only hammer fired ones, the rest are striker fired, but the Rugers trigger won't reset, like the S&W does,you have to rack the slide, S&W you don't. Also the S&W is the only one you can fire without a mag installed. Those are the reasons I went with that one even though it was 100-150 more than the rest. Features and the laser were the tipping points,the Rugers aren't all bad though if you don't need a a laser, they had the second best sights of the bunch, Kahr's,, pitiful sights,,,

From what I've read in several different reports, they have hick-ups for the first 100-150 rounds,and require a good break in period though. And medium rough on batteries, no time specs given for the laser battery life from what I've seen so far. Most say only so so on batteries. That's all I can convey to you on them so far , but will keep ya posted with a range report. Just wish I had some round nose cheap ammo to break it in with though, only got Gold Dots and Silver Tips in 380,,,,pretty spendy break in ammo if you ask me!!!!!

Told my son about getting it and what I read about them,,,,,,,he volunteered to help me out with that,,, break in thinngy,,,surprised??? KIDS!!!!

Seems me and FU got off topic a bit,,,sorry. I'll put up a pic of the laser ect on another thread in case anyone wants to see and know more about it.
Sorry for the "drive by threadnapping"!!!

P.S. I love to pull the Kerz thing too, throws the maul ninjas and "armature" gun salesmen for a loop,,,,:slap::lol::lol:

#19 ·
Well, since I started the thread I grant you permission to deviate and threadnap to discuss the S&W BodyGuard.

Dang, I felt like the all Powerful Wizard of Oz when I said that!!

#23 ·
It arrived today brought by Fed-Ex.

The rumor is indeed true, you do get a 7 round extended magazine with 2 "boots' that make your pistol look like it has a full sized pistol grip.

I can't wait to go out and shoot it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.