Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XDS .45acp

Feedback Score

Default Springfield XDS .45acp

Good afternoon everyone.

I am serious looking at a Springfield XDS for a concealed carry weapon and was wondering if anyone here owned one or has fired one. I have my mind set on getting a .45 acp for concealed carry and this seems like a perfect package. It fits my hand well and frankly 5 and 1 in the chamber seems like plenty of fire power to me, especially if I carry a spare magazine or 2. They do make 7 round mags for this that extend below the frame.

So what's the word?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm the proud owner of the XD-M .45 Competition model with the 5.25" barrel. One of my favorite .45's.

Now, the "original" XD series .45 has a serious shortcoming that is discussed I am pretty sure on the XD forums. The redesign was incorporated into the XD-M series, and so if the XDS is "not" an "-M" model then I'd look closely at those shortcomings. You might not have issues with it but when I was shopping, it stuck me that the shortcoming is a design issue that needs to be addressed by a gunsmith.

My other XD is a .40 sub-compact. Nice but not as accurate with the shorter barrel... rather, I'm not as good with the shorter barrel That one I keep as a dedicated home defense round placed in a strategic location in the house. The XD-M series gets my thumbs-up!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    I'm the proud owner of the XD-M .45 Competition model with the 5.25" barrel. One of my favorite .45's.

Now, the "original" XD series .45 has a serious shortcoming that is discussed I am pretty sure on the XD forums. The redesign was incorporated into the XD-M series, and so if the XDS is "not" an "-M" model then I'd look closely at those shortcomings. You might not have issues with it but when I was shopping, it stuck me that the shortcoming is a design issue that needs to be addressed by a gunsmith.

My other XD is a .40 sub-compact. Nice but not as accurate with the shorter barrel... rather, I'm not as good with the shorter barrel That one I keep as a dedicated home defense round placed in a strategic location in the house. The XD-M series gets my thumbs-up!
    So, what is the design issue?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I have the XD .45 Tactical. full size guy. Never played with a compact or sub compact, but if they are anything like their big brother, Id go for one in a heartbeat. I love my XD.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I'm pretty sure they are the hottest selling handgun in America today. I want one too & Copes has / had some at a pretty good price. All the reviews I've read were two thumbs up. But like all small large caliber pistols, not something you'd want to shoot all day.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

I figured it must kick like a mule, but, I am not looking for a target gun. I am looking for a compact platform for a .45 acp that works reliably.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Been looking at them myself for a few months. They sell out fast at my LGS though. Not a great fit for my paws. Reviews are mixed and some say the trigger pull is a bit heavy while others say it's a smooth trigger. Might still get one but I'm not in a rush to get one yet. If you get one let us know how it works out.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I have one and love it. Well worth the price and easily concealable.

Feedback Score

Well, I think I am going to buy one for a retirement present here in July. I will let you guys know what I think.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So, what is the design issue?
    I read about it on XDTALK.COM. Going from memory so I apologize if some details are incorrect... In a nutshell, the original XD 45 (and apparently nothing else!) has a design issue with the slide that affects feeding of certain bullets. The part of the slide in question is the point that pushes the bullets down into the mag when the slide is travelling rearward. That ramp was not tapered enough and would catch on certain rounds such as semi-wadcutters... really anything "other" than FMJ round nose bullets. The pics I saw showed that these rounds were pushed back into the case and sometimes the case would get torn and peeled back. It was a well-discussed topic when I was researching XD pistols about 1.5 years ago...

The "fix" was simple if you aren't afraid of gunsmith work... and being an AK guy I'm sure you aren't You tapered the rearward edge of that ramp to be more beveled, and polished it smooth. That was really it. However most people aren't going to be doing that to their $500 pistol. THAT BEING SAID... the new slides on the XD-M are apparently beveled more to prevent feed issues with non-round-nose bullets. That was the main reason I chose to get an XD-M model vs. the more affordable XD "original" model.

The -M has many obvious improvements you can read about. The one question in my mind is whether the new polymer that is thinner in the grip area will hold up. THey thinned it to allow more room inside for the wider magazine, which lets them squeeze more rounds into the same area WITHOUT making it wider on the outside. Only time will tell if that will hold up as well as other designs. So far it works well for me and there haven't been any reports from the Interweb showing failures, so my concerns are probably unfounded.

I have the Competition model which is a 5.25" barrel (that extra 1/4" makes most 3rd party barrel replacements impossible) but it is a "match" barrel from the factory. I have personally become accustomed to shooting the numerous sub-compact pistols I own, and so going from a 3" barrel to a 5.25" barrel made a HUGE difference in my groups - I was keeping them in a grapefruit-sized group at 25 yards which was as far back as the pistol range target slides would go! I attribute the improvement to the pistol. I speculate that the longer slide == more mass == more likely to stay at rest (aka objects at rest tend to stay at rest)... in other words, the extra mass is less likely to "wobble" in my hands. That's my theory at least... the groups speak for themselves!

Another huge win for me is the Comp model came with a hard "speed" holster and mag holster with belt loops. From the factory they ship with 3 -13 round mags, meaning I can have 39+1 rounds with me! Yep, you can carry 40 rounds of .45 ACP "out of the box" with the XD-M full-size models!

BEWARE - many online vendors will remove the 3rd magazine and sell the kits with 2 mags ONLY! I believe some of the XD-M pistols only ship with 2 mags, but the Comp model ships with THREE!!! If you have a LGS that has a rack of mags in Ziploc pouches, they are probably the "extra" mags from different sets and resold... a bonus for them to be sure!

The only gripe that people have about the Competition model that I have is the fact that they are using the standard trigger/striker which is arguably too heavy for a true Competition build. I've felt many Les Baer ? and Kimbers which have a smoother trigger (obviously hammer vs. striker will be a part of that) but the XD-M trigger feels just like the XD trigger on my .40 sub compact. I have not measured trigger pull to determine if this is a perception issue or an actual spring issue. There are aftermarket trigger sets out there that reportedly improve trigger pull... I doubt I am not going to do any speed competition with mine so I haven't really investigated how well they really work.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.