Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Israel's "Tabor" military rifle.

Feedback Score

Default Israel's "Tabor" military rifle.

This is the Israeli "Tavor." It is the current military rifle of that country. I guess that they like it. But, I don't! I am too old fashioned, I guess. I prefer rifles that look like rifles. There may be some advantage to having "Bullpup" guns, but, I don't see it!

Here is some info about it: I copied it from militarytimes.

After a 2 year hiatus, CDD is back with shotguns, AR15s, and several different pistols. However, that isn’t what interested us most. Michael was kind enough to show us his newest project, which as you can see from the below picture, is the Tavor. There are a few issues to deal with including barrels which don’t come in the US legal standard 16″, but the barrel shown below meets the legal 16″ OAL by having its flash suppressor pinned and welded in place. Michael wants to ensure the production models don’t have that issue, and since we won’t be seeing these on shelves until the end of the year at best, he certainly has some time to get the production issues worked out.
    For anyone unfamiliar, the Tavor is the Israeli bullpup assault rifle which uses a piston system. We’ve already let Michael Kassnar know we are interested in putting a couple thousand rounds or so through one when they are in production status.

www.militarytimes.com
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

something like that might be great operationally then again it might suck big-time. the big advantage of a BP design is it can be very short and have a full length barrel.

i sort of like the idea of a bull-pup and i shoot left handed , aside from red hot brass hitting me in the face , all the bull pups i ever worked with had um-- interesting triggers with rather difficult to read and get the feel of. odd tear down procedures and rather fiddely internal bits. and they were all overweight for what they were. rather square and clunky in regards to the bushmaster m17s--

and some bull-pup designs make me a bit nervous --with a regular carbine the machinery is not right in you face and under your nose like it is in a BP -- so a BP has to be very well built and solidly constructed. an out of battery incident is bad in anything --but in a BP that is about where your mouth is!

i really wanted to like the AUG --but it suffered from all the above as well.

now if it breaks down simply, and is simple to repair-replace --like an ar-15, ain't insanely heavy and clunky , accurate , reliable and not insanely expensive it will catch on.

otherwise it will be another goodie for the gun collector rather than those who like to field theirs.

there are advantages to the BP it is that most of the time those advantages are not worth the trade offs involved. --at least from what i have seen so far.

i hope they do well with them. i sort of think the market for expensive play things is sort of drying up with the obama economy.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Too basically say what j427x said, but adding a little

A bullpup (bp) is great for it's short length but still having a full length barrel, you can have a bp with a 22" barrel and the overall length is the same or a little shorter then an AR with a 16" barrel and a collapsible stock in the shortest position.
    Another nice thing is close quarters, easier to move around but still have a long barrel for accuracy when needed for long shots.

Some bp aren't left hand shooter friendly, but a lot can be switched around for either style shooter.

Most bp are heavier, because the receiver needs to be beefier by the bolt/chamber area in case there's an out of battery (OOB) ignition. And a good example is the Bush Master M17S, they used a heavy wall aluminum tube for the upper, makes it weigh in at about 11 lbs. But I've seen pics of one that had an OOB and all it did was bulge the aluminum a little and the shooter was not injured. I don't think this would be the case with some other designs.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

This rifle has been the topic of conversation on ar-15 for more than several week and with range reports, these are offered to be converted to multipile calibers and right hand left hand configuration and they use ar style nato mags, I also would like the aug, but the Steyr Aug only comes with right hand ar mag and left aug mags, all i know is if I have the extra bucks I get one of each
    my friends in the Irish army love their steyr augs
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

+1 for not liking bullpups even if I am of Irish Ancestry on both sides of my family, yukedy, yuk! Seriously, do not like the round going-off next to my face. I am ugly enough as is, would not want to risk the rifle exploding in my face, yikes!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I know there were a few folks on here that had put money down with the US imported for the semi-auto Tavor, whenever they finally make it to civilian hands, IIRC. There was a thread on it about a year or more ago. I don't know if they've shipped any to customers yet, but I read an interesting article about them recently in some gun magazine or another. I would love to hear a report from someone who has one.

Personally, I just never could get in to the bull pup style. I've contemplated doing an Ak bull pup, but never could make myself lay out the cash.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

don't get me wrong-- i would like to have one.

but even if i had one i'm not sure it is going to kick my m-forgeries or AKs out of bed for SHTF.

maybe they overcame some of the difficulties on making a wartime serviceable weapon, -- i do see a lot of IDF grunts still carrying m16s and M4s so it ain't like even the IDF is busting its chops to field it. since it shoots the same 5.56 round their ain't no big jump in firepower either.

it plays to be a bit "conservative" with things like military small arms --a little bitty oversight -- like bad mags, a carbon steel gas tube rusting and clogging in the jungle , or a ammo difficulty casn turn the latest hi-tech wonder-weapon into --ya wonder if this POS is gonna work or not !

sure making a few and getting them to run for special ops is one thing --fielding serviceable weapons in the 100s of thousands is another ball game.

thats why you don't send prototypes into war --less your itching to get your ass shot off.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

yes tavors are on the market in fact there are several used ones for sale on sturm, you still have to order from select importers
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Iran has got their own bull-pup too!

it don't look as good as this one though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I likey! Its been on my wish list for a coupla years now. Compleatly ambedextrus. The controls and ejection can be swithed from one side to the other.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.