Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The old 94

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I PICKED UP A 1906 M94 FOR $70 BACK ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO FROM A SPRINT CAR RACER THAT NEED TO BUY A NEW VALVE TO GO RACING THE NEXT DAY

IM NOT A HUGE WIN 94 FAN i MISSED THE BIGGEST BUCK I HAD EVER SEEN WHEN I WAS 12 USING A BEAT UP OLD WINCHESTER THAT HAD BEEN IN THE FAMILY FOR A ZILLION YEARS AN WAS FAMOUS FOR ALL THE DEER MY GRAND FATHER AN UNCLES KILLED WITH IT . THE MAG TUBE HAD SLID BACK AN THE ROUND NEVER LOADED WHEN I THOUGHT I HAD IT LOADED . I WAS 12 YEARS OLD THE BUCK WAS A MONSTERR . IT STOOD THERE STARING AT ME AS ABOUT 70 YARDS AWAY AS I TRIED THREE TIMES TO LOAD IT . I FINALY HAND FEED A SHELL IN THE BARREL AS IT WAS RUNNING AWAY AN NEVER GOT ON TARGET. I DAMN NEAR WRAPPED THAT PIECE OF Sh$T AROUND A TREE.
    . I KILLED A BUCK THAT NIGHT WITH MY GRANDMOTHERS 224 REM IN A 760 PUMP. i WIULL NEVER FORGIVE MY DAD FOR MAKING ME HUNT WITH JUNK AN I MADE SURE MY SON HAD A GOOD GUN FOR HIS FIRST HUNT . THAT BUCK WAS WAS LIKELY IN THE TOP 10% OF BLACK TAILS EVER KILLED I GUESS. I WAS PACKING A M70 WIN ION 30-06 THE NEXT YEAR .

I HAVE SEEN TO MANY DEER WONDED WIHT A 30-30 SHOT AT TO LONG OF A RANG EOR WITH POORLY PLACED SHOTS FROM IRON SITES TO CONSIDER THEM A GOOD DEER GUN . I DONT CARE HOW MANY F%6KING DEER HAVE BEEN KILLED AN HOW THE ROUND HAS TAKEN MORE DEER THAN ANY OTHER CALIBER SUPPOSEDLY. i HAVE HAD TO TRY TO TRACK TO MANY OF THEM. WHEN I WAS YOUNG . THERE IS BUNCH IN MY FAMILAY AN GROUPS i HUNT WITH THAT HUNTED WITH THEM BACK IN THE 30'S AN 40.S AN THEY ALL KIND OF SAY THE SAME THING YEA THEY KILL DEER BUT THEY ALSO WILL WOUND DEER IF YOU SCREW BY MUCH . I HAVENT HUNTED DEER SINCE ABOUT 1974 WITH ONE .

THE GUN I OWN NOW WILL HANG ON THE WALL OR MAY BE USED ON PAPER BY MY SON JUST SO HE CAN SAY HE SHOT ONE . NOW ID LOVE A 300 SAVAGE LEVER ACTION .

I HAVE A ITHICA 22 LR THAT LOOKS LIKE A 94 i NEED TO DRAG OUT AN FIX .

I LIKE WINCHESTERS LEVERS I JUST HAVE AREALLY BAD TAST IN MY MOUTH AFTER MY INCIDENT AN CHASING A CRIPPLE FOR 15 MILES .iD LIKE A 44 MAG OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT . IMO THERE ARE MUCH BETTER GUNS TO HUNT WITH PAST 100 Yards .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm with you biggun. I only got this one out of nostalgia and it was priced right. I dont deer hunt with AK's either. Ballisticly the round is very simular to the 30-30. Now, I would really like to try some of Hornadys newer offerings with the pointed boat tail rubber tipped bullets that are loaded to higher vel, up to 200 fps faster. Hell, they are now offering 30 carbine that goes 2000 fps. My fav deer rifle is my custom 98 mauser in 338 win mag. Overkill? I have NEVER had to track a deer after shooting them with it.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

On another note, theres really nothin wrong with using them around here, as long as u dont take too long a shot. 90% of the hunting I do is in stuff so thick a 50 yard shot is about as far as u can shoot.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yea I agree the a ok close range deer gun . i grew up in CA an we shoot deer at longerr ranges an IMO there lacking I do hunt wit a AK an IMO its lacking an thats why i have a 300 savage ak pistol anm Im working on a 6mm wild cat that shoud be as good as a 243 win . ( yeat the 243 can be laccking at times as well but its got the range to be more accurate .

probably half the deer I killed out west were running so all the shot placement an all this as seen on TV broad side shot BS goes out the window a lot . I like a 30-06 that will take a leg clear out or if im really off break down the ass end . Im not saying its the best way to hunt but if your going to miss by much an every one does then its better to use a bigger or faster round . I hear all the time from guys wont take a moving shot an thats there choice, but when a were I grew up you only generally got one chance an like Grand dad used to say you got to hit it to get it .

I used to hear you never take a running away shot but have seen a lot off deer shot in the ass end with a 150 grain corelok hanging in camp an dont recall ever chasing one after it was hit by some one with a 06 or a 7 mag . yea you will wreck more meat but Id rather that than it dying a slow death somewere three days later .

BTW the world record white tail was killed by a running away ass shot . No im not saying it the best way to go but im am saying it will kill a deer depite what the DNR an others claim . I can shoot through a deer end to end with a 30-06 an IMO its not going to make a bigg differance whart end the bullet starts at . I asked the DNT guy at my sons saftey class how it would matter after he condoned a facing foreward shot but said never take a rear end shot . IMO use enough gun that will allow for for mistakes an poor judgement if you make a mistake .

when I was a kid I killed 18 bucks straight with one shot from my 06 an not all of them were perfect hits . its amazing what you think you can do when your 13 or 14 LOL . Im clad I didnt try some of those shots with that 30-03 .

I will say this the m94 is a great saddel gun an pretty well balanced , My grand father had one with a shorter mag tube an a bit of weight in the stock to better balance it . he carried it a lot on the ranch an in the jeep . I think there a good close range pig gun also . an those leverlution bullets do help a lot IMO . Those guns jsut feel right with open sites an they can be shot really fast . Id still rsther have a savage 99 in 300 .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bung-hole shots do work! I have seen a doe that was shot straight up the a-hole, perfectly centered, didn't leave a mark on the outside, but the shot went right thru the heart with a .50 muzzleloader at about 75 yards.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Bung-hole shots do work!
    Yea my grandfather told me to aim there an he likely killed a few thousand deer in his 95 year run . Enough to have a valid an opinion . Im not going to say its ideal but if you run a bullet rear to front its going to go down. I think the DNR is afraid of all the lower hits an noncentered shots that will not be effective . makes a nasty gut shot if your to low . ;( .

I will always recommend a better shot if possible but not every thing is as seen on TV . I chucle when I see those shows my show would be about 4 second long an boom. followed by BOOM BOOM BOOM if there were more deer still there an if the thing did not drop right in its tracks . People used to steal each others deer were I grew up if you let one go to far with out finding it . I also dont like to try to negotiate about well I shot if first but you stopped it so whos deer is it BS I have had to deal with that a time or two when some ass hole hit a cripple I just shot . I learned a long time ago shoot until it quits traveling . I never want to wreck meat but if you dont get tit there is no meat . 95 % of the deer I have shot with a 30-06 have not left my sight before dropping an needed only one shot . My buddy who is a good shot an has killed a lot of deer with a 243 cant make that claim . I have spent a few nights ln the woods looking for deer guys hit with a 30-30 with a coleman lantern looking for blood .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.