Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The old 94

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default The old 94

I havent had one of these in many years. I grew up hunting with winchester and marlin lever action 30-30's, I had a very nice walnut stocked winchester and a 44 mag trapper, they got sold as money got tight. I saw this one in a pawn shop yesterday. The price was right and it needed a good home. Its made in 1978, a little patina on the rec, and the stock is dinged and scratched. And I think I'll leave it just as it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtdew; 06-30-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

That's a nice little rifle. I have one that my wife's father bought in around 1930. He got it from Montgomery Wards for $26. Down through the years it has had a lot of ammo through it. During the depression the entire neighbor hood borrowed it for deer hunting and it never let anyone down. I'm glad that we still have it. It's an old, tired work horse, but, it will still do the job! Congratulations on a good firearm!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, dario. I took it to the range after work today and she is a keeper. I didnt really sandbag it for accurracy testing, but after adjusting the sights I was busting fist sized rocks at 100 yard with every shot.
    She has the post 64 cast or sintered(depending on what source you get your info from) receiver with the iron electroplating that was then blued. This finish tends to fleck off leaving shiny silver specks that quickly rust. I have read that they dont reblue well. Thats fine by me, I'll just keep it clean and oiled.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

those are great old rifles.

my FFL collects old winchesters!

if i had money to burn i would buy his collection out-- but i don't think he is going to sell in my lifetime.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd like to see his collection. I may even know him as we live in the same area. I have probably rubbed shoulders with you at a gun show and didnt even know it.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Nice find! I love my old Winchester. It's a couple of years older than that one. My wife bought mine for me on our first anniversary. It's scoped now, but back before my eyes started fading I could shoot some 3" groups at 100 yds. with it.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ken, I beleive I read some posts of yours on other forums when I was researching 94's last night.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

UGH!!! it hurts so bad. when i was young, stoopid and not in my right mind, i pawned my fathers model 1894 30-30. for a measly 80 bucks. paid on the interest for months. went in one day to pay....and they said it wasn't there. well i had paper work showing that i had till end of business that day to pay. should have called the police right then...but like i said, i wasn't in my right mind. 32 yrs later my dad still asks about that rifle...... 1913 was the last year they marked them model 1894 as far as i can remember.. still look at every gunshow for replacement but 7-800 it's kinda hard to cough up. congrats on your find.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rick, thats gotta suck. I have myself passed on several pre-64 model 94's because of the price. You can still find post 64's like the one I got around here for not too bad a gougeing.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    She has the post 64 cast or sintered(depending on what source you get your info from) receiver with the iron electroplating that was then blued. This finish tends to fleck off leaving shiny silver specks that quickly rust. I have read that they dont reblue well. Thats fine by me, I'll just keep it clean and oiled.
    I was looking at a 94 in 30-30 probably 15 years ago and found a used one that the finish looked funky on. It looked like it was plated or coated with something that was chipping off. The gunshop I was at couldn't say what the finish was so I figured it was some special finish or an aftermarket one. I ended up with a marlin 30-30..... then a 444 then a 22, dunno whats next. I've shot their 450 guide gun and I know it's not going to be that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.