Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Damaged Golani

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

M On my 223 barreled targe varmint gun the chamber is a pretty tight factory originla savage chamber . if i try to shoot 5.56 Nato in it it will blow primers every time . the bullets on the nato are set out further since there heavier thna most 223 loads . this causes a zero fre bore issue an highr pressure . the head space is also a littel but differant but not much I belieave . YOu can shoot 223 in a 5.56 chamber but not he other way around some times . nato has more free bore .

I dont know what barrel those have but its worth mentioning .

since ewe cant see a single decent picutre of the recvier witht he dust cover off we dont realy know whats damaged .

Its abohter one of those posts showing a blown up or broken AK variant with zero proof of cause , zero clue ewhat the ammo really is , zero prrof of what the chamber is . for all we know he slamed a round on top of a already chambered one who knows.

If I was a bettting man Id bet the firing pin was stuck an it slam fired in a out of battery position .

hell we diont even know if the bullet went down the barrel . other than a pick of a damaged mag an a carrer not onthe rails we have no glue if any of its real .

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

most if not all the barrels for the golani made by IDF were 5.56 chambered, same goes for all the AM barrels for them i have run across.

when your dealing with bottom dollar builders like CAI thought they may have scrounged up some rejects form somewhere.

what i suspect is the firing pin was stuck, these are known for very rough build quality. probably the round tried to hang up on the ramp and the stuck pin set it off.

shrapnel from the case probably stuck the bolt wen it closed up.

it probably didn't pick up a round cause the mag was flying down away from the bolt during the incident. though i wouldn't bet my life on it.

this is just another case of inexperienced operator and buggie, slap happy low quality gun building IMHO.

some one with experience would have caught these issues before it went "boom".

one good thing about full-auto stuff being so hard to get is it does prevent a lot of firearms "k-booms"!

just imagine a bunch of "greenines" out there with bottom dollar CAI made full auto stuff firing dubious quality ammo?--scary thought!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't matter who made the damn thing. This isn't a QC issue.

Agree with biggun, at first glance and the description of the original post, it sounds like a stuck firing pin may be root cause. Will probably never know for certain. However someone pointed out this isn't the first time they (Century) had Golani OOB issues, and the recall specifically addresses this with an upgrade to a spring-loaded firing pin for the bolt... which of course is a Factory part, not a USA part. If you notice the Saiga AK-101 in .223 has a spring-loaded firing pin, presumably for the same reasons. Seeing this, now it makes more sense why the upgraded Galil bolts have spring-loaded firing pins. Valmets the same way... they use a bit of surgical tubing for the "spring" but the same principle applies. Trying to think offhand - does either the Chinese or Yugo pattern .223 bolts have spring loaded firing pins?

Bolt carrier stuck back like that is due to the violent nature of the explosion partially moving the carrier back. As we all know there's enough play in the rails on AK pattern rifles to make that happen. The only reason the top cover didn't fly off completely is due to that overhanging rail that kept it in place.

Makes me want to look at my Galil clone now! I make it a habit to "retrofit" my firing pins with springs. Lots of work to do it but it is for this reason I do so.

Not really anything new to see here... slam fire problems we all know and hate on AK pattern rifles. SKS, Chinese PSL (the NDM .308) etc. all had recalls for the same exact reason. Sucks when it happens.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

The reason the top cover didn't fly 10 feet behind the shooter is the Galil has reinforcements around the rear of the top cover. Much stronger than an AKM cover. The return spring assembly has a long snout that keeps the cover locked into the receiver. Ever try to push the recoil assembly forward with just slight pressure on a Galil ? Dosen't move as easily as a AKM return spring assembly.

I have a close friend that spent time training forces that carried Galil's (inertia firing pin) in South American climate. That is a text book out of battery detonation. No way to put one's finger on the cause for sure. Millions if not a billion of rounds have been fired from self locking bolt guns. How many out of battery detonation ? Not as common as one would think.

When firearms are assembled in factory's with go no-go gauges you find few failures in the end product. When small production runs are build by novice workers the product suffers greatly.

I'm not knocking the Century. They just seem to have a stigma around their Products.
    The South African R series and the IMI Galil are fine examples of engineering. Mine function without a hitch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Seeing these things only make me want to get one of the spring loaded firing pins for the SKS I shoot frequently,,even more so now. I use allot of Yugo ammo in it and it could be an issue someday sense I don't always tear the bolt apart each time I clean it. I clean it pretty damn good but maybe not well enough to get inside 100%.

It might just be cheap insurance to do so I guess. After seeing this. Mine sits for long periods of time sometimes too. I gather when SKS's do hang a firing pin they just dump the mag not come apart,,,but that could still be a hell of a thrill with a 20 or 30 rounder in it though !! HE HAW!!!

Just think muzzle control if it does !!!

Feedback Score

When the Chinese incorporated Spring loaded firing pins in their AK production accidental discharge (inertia) was reduced to negligible numbers.
    US manufactured .223 ammunition have primers made from softer material than foreign factories. If one searches " inertia firing pin & pierced primers" you will find several popular firearm designs discussed.
    Working parts of a firearm are designed to function under certain conditions. When the parts are outside the scope of the original design problems arise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.