Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 bolt gun!

Feedback Score

Price was right, included a decent scope, and I have some ammo on hand. For me the Cz527 was a good choice.

I guess I don't see much difference between the guys who like the 30-30, and the soft point round of the 7.62x39. But to each his own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I guess I don't see much difference between the guys who like the 30-30, and the soft point round of the 7.62x39. But to each his own.
    thats the problem its only almost as good as a 30-30 . Its actulay a much inferior round in the 30-30 IMO . A 30-30 with a 150 grain bullet m that is made to deform at 2300 fps is much better than a 125 grain bullet that may or may not deform at the same speeds.

I have no problem using a x39 on deer but as some one who has shot a bunch of them wiht one please be sure you use good ammo ( not wolf ) an the correct bullet an keep the range under 175 yards an only take good shoots. I have pulled to many almost complety perfect bullets out of deer to reliaze that the reound is marginal over 175 yards or so an that bullet performance better be good . I have gotten luck a few times .

Im not slaming the gun or a 30-30 a yea I know there have been likely ore deer killed with it than any other round BLa bla there also have been more wounded with a 30-03 than any other round also . I have had to track to many my self .

I dont know what you paid for your gun an Im sure its a great gun . IMO however If I was going to go out an buy a new gun for deer hunting It would not be a 7.62x39 or a 30-30 an I have both . for the same money you can get a 308 , 30-06 , 7mm 08 , 270 etc that will all do a much better job for the same or likely less money .

its funny to most guys a 30-30 is a marginal gun on deer best used at short range but to AR guys the 30-30 is a super deer gun so the 300 BO an the 7.62x39 an simular are almost as good so know they think they have a great deer rifle . LOL

If I was hunting from a stand or in cover were my shots were a 100 yards or so Id say great a 30-30 or 7.62x39 it fine an I do still hint wiht a x39 but I have much better guns in much better caliburs that work good at close range an at long range .

BTW that bolt action can likley be loaded up a lot hotter than any factroy ammo will be. The action will likley handel 65,000 PSI . an the 7.62x39 can be greatly imporved on if hand loaded in a bolt action . you can get it close to a 300 savage. If I hunted with a bilt action x39 Id relaod for it . an load it to pressures the gun can handel . Bullet expansion is critical on tis round an its so close to not expanding that a 150 fps can really make a differance in this case .

I have shot deer with 150 grain x39 at 200 yards an had OK expansion but he deer took off running . on the smae deer i managed to get a second identical round into it at close to 300 yards the bullet had zero expansion so the extra 100 yards aproximenty an the loss of speed made theat bullet almostr worth less . I lietaly could have reloaded the bullet back in a case an reused it . I dont know if you reload or not but If not Id gewt some one to load specificaly for that rifle if your going to hunt with it .

There is a reason I use a 300 savage ak pistol now instead of the x39 .

Feedback Score

I know my limitations and frankly I would never take a shot at a deer over 100 yards. I have no desire to wound one and have it running around only to die and be wasted.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I know my limitations and frankly I would never take a shot at a deer over 100 yards. I have no desire to wound one and have it running around only to die and be wasted.
    then you should be fine . the problem I have with x39 an simular bolt guns is there pleanty accurate enought to jit deer at 300 nut there severly lacking in power . to many guys will take that stupid shot on that big buck an pray it drops before it crosses a fence or high way .

Im mainly pointing out a gun like a 308 or simular allows you to do the same just 300 yards further for the same money an weight . around WI were your at long shots are few how ever over half the deer I have taken in wi since I came here in 92 have been over 200 yards an some were much further . I would have been screwed with a x39 or a 30-30 . I got lucky IO on the deer I have killed at longer range with the AK rilfes an pistols an relise it enough to quit .

that pair of buck I got a 220 yard with the x39 an the low bullet expansion a poor penitration was enough tell me I was pushing my luck /

I have no issue taking a 300 yard shot with my 30-06 an have shot a lot of them that far out west .

when I lived out west I think a x39 bolt action would have made a great pig gun.

Like I said that gun is built to handel much more pressure than the 45,000 PSI limit that Sammi puts on the 7.62x39 . if it were mine an i hunted with it my hand loads would be in the 60,000 PSI range an the bolt thrust would still be under the guns design limits . the eXtra littel bit of speed on this round in perticular would really help bullet expansion, Id also consdier 150 grain bullets at short range.

some were my son has the bullet I pulled out of a deers shoulder that was hit at about 300 an it is almost undamaged Ill try to find it an post a pic . It had about 2" of penetration . Thankfully it was only a follow up shot oin a deer that was already hit at 200 yards an was going down any way or it would have suffered ,

GOOD LUCK

Feedback Score

I got ya biggun1. I know that in many instances the 7.62x39 is not the optimal deer rifle, but I believe within the parameters I have set, and with your advice, I can make it work for me.

I bought my son a .308 bolt action Savage rifle a couple of years ago for deer hunting. He wanted a .243 or a .270, but after talking to hunters around here and telling them what he planned to do all suggested either a .308 or a .30-06. With his youth and enthusiasm he will take much longer shots than I would attempt.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If he cant kill it with a 308 or 06 he should not be shooting at it .

a 243 is another gun that is good a wounding deer if improperly used . I have abunch of familay an friends who hunt with them an they do kill a lot of deer but they have had some bad experiances also .

I hunt ocasionaly with a 244 rem / 6mm rem an IMO its marginal on some bigger deer an bullet selection is important . My 13 year old hunts with it but he will be going to a bigger rifle next year . MY grand mother used it from 1958 unitll abut 15 year ago an it has likked a lot of deer but wounded a few that maybe a littel more energy would have stopped .

I have no issue with a 270 an IMO is a great ground if your shooting longer distances reguarly other wise it wont do any thing a a 30 -06 wont do better at 350 yards IMO .

its hard to beat a fast moving 30 cal on deer out to 300 or even further . big differace between a 243 an a 270 .

I started with 30-06's 40 years ogo an I have never regreted the decison my dad made for me as far as calibure choice on deer . a 308 will do pretty much the same thing .

when I was 14 I felt if I could see them I could shoot them an backed up that notion a few times with a few 500 yard across canyon shots . hunting out west is a whole differant ball game than here in WI . I know lots of guys who have never shoot 100 yards here there whole lives . I never saw a tree stand untill moving here in 92 .

Id like to have one of those zastivas or how ever there marked in 7.62x39 so I could rebarrel it in 6mmPPC for a varmint rifle . the bolt face is correct for 22ppc, 6mm ppc an 6.5 grendal . I missed a 7.62x39 rem 700 a few years ago an am still kicking my self I really wanted the action fior a custom build .

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

biggun your talking hunting -- i'm talking survival

sure a 300 mag or what not is better for hunting deer.

back during the great depression the .22 rimfire killed most of the deer in this state. the more upscale poachers of the 70s liked the .22 mag--

i have a uncle that has hunted with .223 rem for years , i forget how many deer he has killed with it , just about all of them with one shot too. everybody and their brother keeps telling him --that .223 is too small to take deer!

sure if i was wanting to deer hunt i would go 7mm-08 or something like that.

most of our deer are killed at an avg of 80M --sots rarely get out to 200m or more-- a rifle that can print a 1.5" can do easy head shots up to 150M which is about as far as your going to get to shoot anyway (for deer in this area)

this ain't the western plains.

i have got some pastures where i can shoot 500M or more , i never see any game in them during the daytime. at night deer will venture out into the open -- if i had to take some of them come nightfall in the big pastures thir still going to be 100M shots--

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got more 308's than I can shake a stick at. And defiantly 308 will do everything just fine. I get a laugh when some of these city folks come up from jersey and bring a 300 Win Mag for deer too,,,,gimmie a break!!,, Just a bit of overkill wouldn't ya say? I'm just looking for an excuse to get another rifle myself,,that's why the x 39 bolt gun,,just cause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't have one yet!!

Hell that's enough of a excuse for me!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

308 is damn fine all arounder -- only thing is i wasn't able to get a spam can full of 308 for $0.11 a round like the 5.45! LOL!

around here with the deer hunters "bigger is better". although for many years the most popular iron was a 30-30. one of my pals who is a very serious hunter has killed more deer with a .44 mag than all the other rifles he has. and that ia s bunch of deer over the lase 30 years.

truthfully it don't take a lot to kill white-tail deer and 200M is about as far as you can expect to get a shot anyway, with the avg kill being 50-80M obviously most people are just burning powder for nothing--lol

now if i was shooting a grizzly bear i would want a big gun and want a little more space--LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    I got more 308's than I can shake a stick at. And defiantly 308 will do everything just fine. I get a laugh when some of these city folks come up from jersey and bring a 300 Win Mag for deer too,,,,gimmie a break!!,, Just a bit of overkill wouldn't ya say? I'm just looking for an excuse to get another rifle myself,,that's why the x 39 bolt gun,,just cause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't have one yet!!

Hell that's enough of a excuse for me!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A 308 or other bolt action rifle will do any thing a 7.62 or 5.45 will do in a survival situation an likey do it better .
    there is no accurate 5.45 ammo to speak of so do you guys really want a 2moa or worse rifel for your survival rifle ? I sure dont .

lets be honest the only attractivce thing about a 5.45 in a bolt action is ammo is less money right now . it will likley be unavaliabe in a Shtf situation as all an it might be un available soon if import of it gets stoped . who would intentional go buy a gun that has no available accurate ammo un less its cheap?

Fyredup was talking abiut his buying a 7.62x39 using it for deer I gaver IMO pretty good reasons why ther are much better guns .

in a shtf situation came will become more scarce an non existatn pretty fast . im going to want a gun thats good for more than 200 yards for both survival an hunting .

i have enough ammo in 308 an 30-06 to hunt for mor ethasn a fe w years an I doubt ill be using thousands of rounds of a bolt gun in a defensive or survival situation ever even if were invaded . If we are invased 223 an 308 will be the ammo that our govermnet has stocked an could concieavalble be avlaibale for a civilian defensive use . If were attcked by or own county then it will be 223 an 308 we will be staliang from them not 5.45 .

an Im going to be honset with you if I have to fight a enemy woith my own gun its not going to be some bato apporeved bull shit solid point its going to soft points an hollow points that kill you dead with lees chance of survival . there is no 5.45 other than solid point to speak of ( correct tme if Im wrong ) that also means for a game gun its not great either . a lot of the ammo is corrosive an the last thng Id want if i was in a life an dearth situation is a gunthat need cleaning every time i sot a shot out of it . from what I see other cheap steel cased ammo by wolf brown bear an others is still not that much more than there 5.45 stuff . I dont want a $500 bolt action that is going to be junk if the barrel is full of rust an pits . If I can afford the gun at that price i better be able ot buy some good ammo also .

if guys want a 5,45 then admitt why you want it . because its cheap to make it go bang . just like guys buy mosin nagants an 7.62x54r . At least ithet the 54 r there is good ammo an its better for hunting or some real world use .

now if I had a 5000 round sof 5.45 here Id maybe have one just because but Id not make up reasons why its better than others stuff if its not .

I can relaod 223 easir an cheap I cant even buy brass an bullets are slim an none for the 5.45 .

I dont need a 7.62x39 bolt action I have a dozen semi autos that shoot around 1" I would never hunt with it when I have three 308s, an everything else . wuld I like one? sure I have good loads an its relaodabel etc but it woiuld never be my pick for a survival gun .

i know guys who hunt with 44 lever actions , 357 lever actions , x39,s an all kinds of odd ball stuff an they all work good at short range an poorly at long range my choices all work better at close range an also are good for longer range . If a guy wants to hunt with a 44 mag fine . it dosent impress me . if its his only gun I understand . why he bougth it as his only gun makes no sence . your going to prov enothing to me by killing a deer with a 357 lever action.

I have know deer can be killed with a 223 an I have even done it . I would have been more responsiable using one of my other guns .

fac tis most 5,45 ammo is illeagel for huntiong in most states. its not very accurte , an much of it is corrosive , if you can afford a $500 bolt action the cheapness of the ammo goes out the window. i can gt a used 30-06 for $200 an buy $300 dollars extra reloadable ammo an be better off .

THERE IS A REASON I HAVE BUILT NONE OF MY 5.45 AK KITS YET . IM STILL BUILDING STUFF BETTER SUITED TO MY NEEDS AN ACTUAL USE . iF A GUY WANTS ONE BUY IT AN ENJOY IT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.