Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 5.45x39 bolt gun!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I get a laugh when some of these city folks come up from jersey and bring a 300 Win Mag for deer too,,,,gimmie a break!!,, Just a bit of overkill wouldn't ya say?
    HONESTLY IF I HAD TO BE STUCK FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH ONLY ONE RIFLE FOR HUNTIGN DEER AN OTHER BIG GAME i WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A 7MM OR 300 MAG LIKLEY THE 300 MAG .

i CAN DOWN LOAD A 300 MAG TO UNDER 308 LEVELS FOR SMALLER GAME i CANT LOAD MY 30-06 UP . THERE ARE REDUCED RECOIL LOADS FOR THE 300 MAG THAT WILL BE LESS DAMAGING ON MEAT . i HAVE UNTED BLACK TAIL , MULE DEER, WHITE TAIL , ELK , ANTALOPE , MOOSE , BEAR , AN PIGS , THE 300 MAG WOULD HAVE WORKED FINE ON ALL OF THEM AN BETTER ON THE ELK MOSE AN BEAR THAN MY 30-06 OR 308 AN NOT GIVEN P ANY THING IF LOADED DOWN . THE GUN WOULD BE A LITTLE HEAVIER MAYBE AN AMMO WOULD COST MORE BUT LIKEY HAV ENOT SHOT 500 ROUNDS IN MY O6 IN 39 YEARS OF HUNTING . SO COST IS REALLY NOT A FACTOR .

WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT A 36" WIDE BUCK IN COLORADO AT OVER 500 YARDS WHEN I WAS 15 I REALLY WISHED i HAD A 300 MAG THAT TRIP OR BETTER YET A 264 OR 7MM MAG .

YEA A 300 MAG MIGTH BE OVER KILL BUT iF i HAD TO HAVE ONLY ONE BIG GAME RIFLE iD RATHER BE OVER GUNED LOL . I HAVE HAD TO CASE AN TRACK TO MANY DEER HIT BY GUYS WITH 30-30,S 243, M1 CARBINES POOLRY PLACED ARROWS FROM TO FAR TO KOW THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TO DEAD.

i WAS ALLOWED THREE RIFLES IN CETNER FIRE IT WOULD BE A 223 , A 308 AN 300 OR 7 MAG . AN THAT MIGHT CHANGE DEPENDING ON WERE i LIVE .

I COULD GET BY WITH A 22LR , A 30-06 AN 20 GUAGE SHOT GUN IF I HAD TO AN I DID FOR THE FIRST 15 YEARS i HUNTED THATS ALL I HAD . ISURE WOULD HAVE NEVER SWAPED OUT A 5,45 OR X39 FOR ANY OF THOSE

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

06 and 308 has always done what ever I asked it to,,no problem and my go to period. I'm really not a fan of anything <30cal for hunting myself and a x39's is not a choice at all for more than 100y IMO.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    06 and 308 has always done what ever I asked it to,,no problem and my go to period. I'm really not a fan of anything <30cal for hunting myself and a x39's is not a choice at all for more than 100y IMO.
    I will most likely add a .308 or a .30-06 at some point to my toys at some point, but right now I have the bolt action 7.62x39 and as long as I sty within 100 yards I believe I will do just fine. In fact my guess is I won't even shoot that far.

Feedback Score

Know your limits. Took three does last year. One @225yds head shot DPMS 24" 308, one@35yds head shot 50AE Desert Eagle and one @90yds in the front shoulder with a 50cal inline muzzle loader. Taken several deer with my single set trigger CZ527 223 usually no more than 120yds with head/ neck shots.If it's legal and the weapon is right know your limits. BTW 223 is legal in Texas and our lease is MLD (We are allowed by the state in my county to take does with firearms because of head count). I don't like the taste of antlers.lol. Bow season starts the 28th. Gettin stoked here, sold the old xbow and upgraded to more KE! Been practicing and gotta kill something beside the stinky hogs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

BTW 223 is legal in Texas and our lease is MLD (We are allowed by the state in my county to take does with firearms because of head count). I don't like the taste of antlers.l
    hell we had to shoot a doe here to get a buck tag. ( WI)

it was a adjustment to have to shoot a doe being I grew up hunting black tail an mule deer .

I hear there is a lot of guys using 2-250's necked down 243 an 6mm to 22 to hunt in thexas . the 223 texas trophy round an the 22 cheetah are a couple I know of both barrel burners .

I agree you have to know your limits . I dont like limits LOL

30-06 kills them dead at 30 yards an at 400 LOL never had a need for a smaller deer gun . that said i have bunch of lesser capiabilitys an shor deer with them .

id have no issue with a 7.62x39 bolt action an my loads at 200 yards on deer but there loaded to about 65,000 PSI an about equil to a 300 savage . But since I have a 300 savage id use it loaded hot in the bolt action but I also have a 308 win so skip the 300 savage ut wait ther is a 30-06 here also an it better yet so thats what I use.

I skipped all the other stuff when I was 12 an bought a 30-06 with lawn mowing money an make no apologies for it . To my buddies who bought 30-30's because there dad had one an then tried to shoot to far . to bad .

I grew up with almost every thing moving by the time you got a gun on it so head an neck shots were few . I saw a tree stand for the first 30 years I hunted .

Id think that 500 S&W you built would anchor any thing close LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.