Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 bolt gun!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak 5.45x39 bolt gun!

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...-5-45-Bolt-gun

you know i often wondered why some of the most popular mill-surp rounds are ignored by the "big guys".

it looks like they should have come out with a 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 bolt actions way back in the 90s to me.

on the line the 5.45x39 is doing 1.5" groups -- not super gooper match --

but certainly good enough for a scout rifle shooting a max of 400m --and that is about all the 5.45 will do anyway.

would have made a hell of a survival rifle IMHO. a 5.45x39 bolt rifle with a 20" or more of barrel --with a decent scope, a man could live in the hills a long time sitting on a tin or two--LOL!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

the east germans knew that when they built the ssg rifles

i think there are a few CZ rifles made in this caliber
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Zastava/CZ make 223 & x39 bolt guns, and several other calibers too. I've got the 223 and it's sweat as hell and shoots great, I love it. There imported by Century, mine was 299 when i got it. Sadly they didn't offer the mannlicher stocks till after i got mine or I'd have gotten one of those. Might get one of those in x39 though. There a typical Mauser action with the safety on the side and come with a adjustable trigger very nice bluing and a decent straight grained walnut stock. I didn't look but I think there up to around 329 now,,not sure? The only thing I found is that I thought the stocks were a bit light colored and pretty dry. I darkened mine up somewhat and put some oil on it. Looks better now.

Really Nice gun though and light too, mines 6.2 without a scope,7ish with one, nice to carry.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hMMM $500 for a gun to shot inaccurate corrosive ammo that is over 1" MOA is IMO no the the smartest move. Cant you get one stock in 223 for about $300 ?

If there was a good ammo or brass avaliable in this cal an I had a AK 74 Id think it would be cool but i dont really see this being a big seller or that much of a good idea .

a 1.5" MOA is pretty bad at long range on things that a gun like this might be good for like varmints or shootng targets .

Nope Ill stick with a 223 that does every thing better an likely cheaper if you reload .

The lack of good ammo kills the idea for me . now if I had 10,000 rounds of the ammo Id maybe consider it but Id likely just shoot it in a AK 74 thats Id build that would be abut as accurate an have SA ability .

I wont be supriesed if we see imorted ammo go by by some day soon an then it wuld be pretty much worth less . yes 223 cases can be used to make cases but whats the point?

then there is the issue of poor bullet selection also for the smaller bore

ILL pass

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

LOL-- yea $500 is a bit much-- for a 5.45

now a $235 axis would be more like it. maybe a stainless steel axis for $300--LOL!

no it ain't a match round --what do you expect for $0.20 a round in 2013???

a better ides would be a inexpensive bolt gun with bolt on barrels with a "fixed" hear-space like the m16s & ar-15s . sell the rifle for $250 and the spare barrels for $100 in all the ar-15/AK rounds to fir whatever ammo you got on hand.

you can get a 1.5" out of an ar-15 in 5.45 , the limiting factor is the steel jacketed steel core bullets are not uniform size , russia 7.62x39 mill surp is the same way.

i don't see anybody shooting match with m855 either--

in the next couple years i'll bet obongo banns ALL imported ammo and reloading supplies.

Feedback Score

The Cz527 is available in 7.62x39, as well as other calibers. It is actually quite accurate out to 100 yards. That is as far as I have fired mine anyways.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Those are the ones I was talking about from Century, there just marked Zastava as apposed to CZ. They both come off the same line, some are just marked for import by CZ. I love the 223 I've got and 2-300m shots on yotties is no big deal at all with it. Very nice for 329, mine was 299 when i got it a couple years ago. But like everything else they've gone up some now.

I'm considering getting one of the x39's with the mannlcher stock too Fyredup, so they do shoot pretty decent ? 100m-150m is about a good max range for the x39 IMO and much more you loose allot of your power after that anyways. As long as they'll hold 1moa that would be just fine,,you don't need a 300 Win-mag for deer sized targets and the x39 is right in the 30-30 range ballistics wise and should work just fine. Especially if you reload them with some decent projectiles like A-max or a good SP/BT Serria, I'd think they should be pretty good for deer, ect.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

for a pure survival rifle --be tough to beat a $299 rifle and a $200 tin with 1080 rounds in it. if it will do 1.5" groups or better with 7nl 5.45 surplus that should be enough accuracy for survival purposes.

sure you could work up a round to do sub 1" but is that practical for a survival rifle? can you load up 1000 rounds for $0.20 or less today?

many deer went the meat grinder via a single 223 shot round here. i'm pretty sure a single 5.45 hit in any head,spine, heart area would be death for a deer.

folks around here killed deer frequently with .22LR and deer meet was a staple during the depression.

the idea of these giant guns in the uber magnum class to hunt white tails is just some pissing contest by city-slickers.

i think the idea behind the uber-magnum cannon is "the deer will fall before it runs off the deer-camp lease" and it seems to me that many of these guys with the uber mag cannons seem to miss a lot--LOL

i know several serious SHTF survival types that stocked up on 22mag.

yea i agree a 7.62x39 bolt action would be better --but its ammo TODAY is more expensive.

i have a 5.45x39 ar-15 upper and a few AK series in this cal so i ain't hurting.

the down side of surplus 5.45 is it is around today. -- tomorrow??? then you can also say that about ALL ammo and RL supplies. if the big "O"/bloomburg gets his way were all going to be SOL regardless of cal or type of firearm.

still lots of 7.62x54 around-- about $0.18 a pop too--

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

if were talking a bolt action a a survival gubn how much ammo you plan on shooting to off set the costs the cheaper 5.45 ammo?

I can load 223 pretty damn cheap an there are dies everywere. a brass 2223 case for good for 10 loadings or so the steel 5.45 is basicaly a throw away case .

at least with a 7.62x39 bolt gun there is some decent ammo commercial available an reladable brass . the x39 on a good bolt gun wiht good ammo can be almost bench rest compeditive in certain classes . there is good brass for it un like the 5.45 .

a 1.5" MOa bolt action is not what id want for head snaping deer or hubnthing much at all fior that matter . at 300 yards its going to be a miss big time .

The lack of good ammo is the problem nit the round its self . it likley has some pluses if it had good brass avaiable for it .

I considered a 5.45 shorty pistol due to the ammo beibg the cheapest I could do on a ak plat form an not need to reload but I still think a 223 an reloading would be a better ideas .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'm considering getting one of the x39's with the mannlcher stock too Fyredup, so they do shoot pretty decent ? 100m-150m is about a good max range for the x39 IMO and much more you loose allot of your power after that anyways. As long as they'll hold 1moa that would be just fine,
    An a 308 win will do every thing better , much better with no down side IMO .

I doubt you go hunting with cheap ammo an good x39 ammo is likely more than good 308 win hunting ammo . If tis meat damage or recoil doan load or buy reduced recoil loads for the 308.

IMO the IMO the 5.45x39 an 7.62x39 bolt guns a break opens an what not are only attractive when ammo was $60 a case an you wanted it jsut to shoot a plink a lot .

I have killed a bunch of deer in 7.62x39 an there is a reason I use a 300 svage pistol now .

. Especially if you reload them with some decent projectiles like A-max or a good SP/BT Serria, I'd think they should be pretty good for deer, ect.
    IMO thats a option if your stuck with only a rifle in that calibre but everything you going to do to improve the x39 will work better in 308 win or 300 savage or 30-06 an all can be loaded to lower levels . I would never purposly buy a a marginal poweer rifle for deer intentioaly it makes no sence.

If you want one to just shoot for fun great I jsut dont see the whole getting it to hunt deer . might be a good pig round at a 100 yards but then again so is a 308 win or every other bigger 30 cal offering .

I hate chasing stuff I like a littel extra .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.