Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Pre-64 3006 hunting rifle

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Winchester Pre-64 3006 hunting rifle

Let me first say all my hunting rifles are Remingtons except for pone that was handed down to me. Its a Pre-64 Winchester 3006 with a short stock and old...old lyman scope. It is still a nail driver and functioning perfect. The problem is the stock is too short for me...I will keep the old stock my grandfather marked his deer kills and pig kills in notches on the stock...and it needs a better scope.

What are my options. I want to keep a wooden stock...something about hard wood in your hand...yes all puns intended...but need to know options for scope rings, mount and optics. For optics Im thinking a 3x9 leopold I have laying around.

What else can be done to speed this thing up? or should I with this Pre-64?
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Bob -- I've the 30-06 my father used his whole life, he loaned it to me when I was young and I killed my first deer with it. It's built on a Mauser action and the scope is a swing away that interferes with the safety; the monte carlo stock is beat up and doesn't fit me right.

I decided not to improve it. I'll not use it, it does all things sort of well but nothing better than something else that's here. It's a nostalgia gun. I pick it up and remember hunts we went on together. And that's priceless.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    It's a nostalgia gun. I pick it up and remember hunts we went on together. And that's priceless.
    I keep going back and forth on this same point. Do I get it back into shooting condition for me as an adult or leave it as is when I used it as a kid....I want to use it as a spare 3006 but like you said it has a lot of nostalgia also....
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

add a slip-on require a pad and call it good. that's what I did with my grandmothers 670 pump
    in 244 rem. I killed my first deer with it. the 3x Weaver stays also. that guy has too many good memories to change a thing. my son Hunts with it now.

the other option is at a spacer and new recoli pad.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

add a slip-on recoila pad and call it good. that's what I did with my grandmothers 670 pump
    in 244 rem. I killed my first deer with it. the 3x Weaver stays also. that guy has too many good memories to change a thing. my son Hunts with it now.

the other option is at a spacer and new recoli pad.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you put a new stock on it you can always store the old short one for nostalgia. I like redfield one piece mounts. They don't cost as much as leupold but are identical as far as I can tell.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I would leave it as is and add a slip on pad as biggun said if you really need the extra length of pull.

IMO the nostalgia and family history is much more valuable than getting the rifle to work better for you as a hunting gun, especially since you have other rifles available that can complete that task.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Gunco, put the slip on rubber pad on and leave it as is, like biggun says. Or save the original and get one that fits yah.. Oh my God $70 for that stock.. Not really a bad price, but.
    When we were kids in the 50s up in Connecticut.. Our Fathers and neighbors, WWII Vets, worked for Winchester in New Haven..
    Almost all had pickup trucks.. Every night they would come home with a load of original Win. wood stocks, we used them for firewood.. Wood was cheap back then. Least little ding, Winchester heaved them.. Gave them too the employees..
    We played Army with them and burned them in wood stoves in our cellars.. When I told my Uncle Marv, member "Winchester Society" what we did. He put his head on the table and cried. $$$$$

In 1964 Winchester went mass production.. WWII returning craftsman were ready for retirement and the rest is history..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Man don't mess with memories. U got other rifles use em I got my dads pre 64 94.beautiful rifle. He hit a moving deer about 70 yrds away. He always did shoot better than me tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.