Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Revolver for protection against bears

Feedback Score

Default Revolver for protection against bears

A friend asked me for advice on what revolver he should look at for protection against bears. We are in Wisconsin so I am making the assumption we are talking about black bears.

Feedback Score

The one Hellboy used in his Movies although I carry ruger Redhawk in 44 mag with some 300-grainers but I also carry a 12 gauge sluggun
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'd say a 44mag should be good also. A 357 might be the low end of the scale for this topic.

But you could always be a smart ass and say something like "a real man would only need a good knife"
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I live in bear country also and I've put my 45 in the safe to carry a Taurus tracker 44 mag.its only a 5 shot but the weight makes it super easy to carry everywhere. Barrel is ported which helps too

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've used my 41 mag S&W on bear and taken 4 with it and lost count of how many deer with it. It works great. The 41 has damn near the same ballistics as the 44mag with way less recoil. I love the 41's. It's sure not a carry gun though,,,it's scoped and has a 7 3/8 barrel,,she's a beast, it rides in a shoulder rig, to heavy to carry around otherwise. It's one of the "custom shop specials" I bought back at least 35 years ago with the recessed chambers, match trigger/hammer assy,and the nice blueing,, it shoots like a house afire and is as smooth as butter!!!! 1" MOA is easily repeatable @ 100 m. It shoots as well as some of my rifles do,,a very nice gun.

If anyone gets a crack at one,, grab it,,there awesome shooters,,,,don't kick much more than most 357's either,,

Puts the "Smack Down" on hogs too. Dumped 3-4 in there tracks with it back in the day when I was where there was hog hunting available to me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Shotgun and an air horn. They are scared to death of noise.. I live with the damn things down here. Even a full beer can off the head does not scare them.
    Every damn time they have a nuisance bear, they drop them off here in the Ocala National Forest.. We have more black bears than people..
    My friend raised one from an abandoned cub.. Lived on his porch and roamed free.. Sat and waited his 400+ pounds for him to get home from work.. I would not get near him, but it sat at the table and ate with people..
    Pistol? Most anything if shot placement is good.. But living with them, they will not bother you unless it is a mother with cubs, or some idiot has been hand feeding the poor thing..
    Make noise walking through the woods, they will do everything to avoid you..
    How fast can you run??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

How about a magnum whistle?
    Chances of getting attacked by a black bear here in WI are slim to none.
    As 4th said above, they will not bother you unless there is a mother with cubs.
    On the other hand, if he feels more comfortable carrying my opinion is that anything 9mm and up will do. At least for the noise alone.
    Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My ex-neighbors family of six kept filling up their three trashcans during the week and a bear kept tipping em over and I think they're the ones to blame. Not the bear.the bear started getting more aggressive in behavior and finally turned on them.I blame the people in this case not the bear.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by stalker1 View Post
    My ex-neighbors family of six kept filling up their three trashcans during the week and a bear kept tipping em over and I think they're the ones to blame. Not the bear.the bear started getting more aggressive in behavior and finally turned on them.I blame the people in this case not the bear.
    Exactly!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Depends on what type of handgun he can shoot accurately under stress. Otherwise, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.