Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion Repellant

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Mountain Lion Repellant

The recent "bear revolvers" discussion got me to thinking... I'm moving to Co. Springs and fully intend to spend more time outdoors. Local guy here said there is a concern about mountain lions. Lions in N. America! Never had a reason to consider them so I'm wondering what caliber range would be good for a Mountain Lion. Are they as dangerous as African Lions and the largest caliber is best, or would something in the .45 ACP - .357 Mag range be sufficient for hikes? Pepper spray? Loud air horns? Lions and tigers and bears - oh my!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Saw a show recently and Cougars can weigh up to 220 pounds. I would go for a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. For a handgun, 44 magnum would be the minimum IMHO.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

We have them here in South Dakota, as well. A couple of years ago one was seen walking through the town of Rosebud!

Mostly, no need for protection except if you're near a lioness' den with cubs. They are normally reclusive and rarely attack - then mostly children. They range from 100-200 pounds so anything useful for protection against the ultimate predator (man) will work.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Most critters will avoid humans anyways so protection from them is a pretty much a mute point unless you're visibly injured and in the wilderness, then you're a target, just like any other prey. I've spent most of my life in back country areas and have never had any incident that really concerned me all that much, you just need to know what,, Not To Do. I've faced off with all kinds of critters before and if you act aggressive and healthy, almost nothing will bother you unless you're between and adult and there youngsters, or there injured, that's the only times to worry IMO.

My, under stress go to, would be a 12 ga with 00,, for any threat, human or critter. Max stopping power, with very little precise aiming for danger close threats and it will get the job done effectively.

OH NO,,,,I just agreed with "bite me" on something,,,say it ain't so!!!

Feedback Score

I would still go my taurus 44 tracker its light weight doesn't really get in the way of carrying a pack the ported barrel helps some with the recoil. I put a set of wolff springs in it polished the internals and until I drop the hammer on a rem 180 grainer it's fun to shoot. Sorry you're leaving va tho but you gotta go where the work is right? Good luck in the move.read outdoor life it happened to me articles and rarely only neeeds to happen to you once.

Feedback Score

And you can a small fist size air horn at wally for 10 bucks or less.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just got back from driving around Woodland Park, which is just outside of Co. Springs. Found a nice little hole-in-the-wall gun shop and had a nice chat with the owner. He said they are rather prolific in that area. Said my dog's tendency to wander off from time to time could get her eaten. So I will need to ensure she stays in the yard wherever we end up. Also said they tend to stalk you so you end up getting jumped from behind. Since when I do go out I tend to go off the beaten path, I guess I'll have to carry when I do so.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

So now you gotta buy another gun? Haha feel for you bro

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you have more chance getting hit by lightning or a drunk wiht sow board on the rack than being attackted by a cougar .

can it happen sure . there are generaly afraid dogs but if you got a small dog sure it might happen .

there are bears an last week a guy in CO was attacked by coyotes for some reason. Im sure a 357 will do just fine .

truth is if a cat were to attack you you would likley never see it coming before it hit you or you would have to little time to do much .

have fun in CO there is a lot of good people there out there . lots of good hunting an fishing an if you ski its a paradise. good atv an dirt bike riding . lots to do if you like the out doors .

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

h.c., Mountain lions are scared to death of bears.. When you go hiking in the woods out there. See if you can find an old bears skin rug..
    Make a coat out of the bear skin and wear a coon skin cap. No mountain lion in Colorado will bother you..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.