Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zastava M88A (Mini Tokarev)

Feedback Score

Default Zastava M88A (Mini Tokarev)

Hey guys I just picked up a new tool friday so I figured I would share seeing as how there is very little info out there about this gun. I really love my Romanian Tok and I wanted something with a real safety plus something I can find ammo for at the local shops so I bit the bullet. I purchased the gun from classic for $239.99, they shipped it free and my FFL charged me $30 for the transfer.

It is chambered in 9mm para and comes with 2 8 round mags. The frame is identical compared to the regular Tok except for a steel insert in the mag well, so it retains its nice slim profile. The slide and barrel are a bit shorter than the standard Toks making it slightly smaller overall. It fits nicely in the same 1911 holster I modified for its full-size brother. The internals are also identical aside from the guide rod. Instead of pushing it back and swinging the barrel nut off to remove the barrel/recoil spring, the guide rod has a built in pivot so you just turn it up and the rod exits towards the back of the slide, then the nut and barrel can be removed as standard. Other than that and the safety(Ill get into that more), its literally the same exact design as its original counter-part.

I know a few of the classic Toks had a slide-safety on them but Ive never found good info as to how it actually functions. With the safety engaged, the trigger does not engage the hammer and a shroud comes up around the back of the firing pin so even if the hammer would accidentally drop it cannot make contact with the pin. The safety does not lock the slide either so you can clear the chamber with it engaged. I also want to note that when the slide is locked, its LOCKED. Ive read several people complain(and I noticed too on my Romanian) that jarring the gun or putting a magazine in too hard causes the slide-lock to disengage allowing the slide to slam forward unexpectedly, which we know is potentially very dangerous. The groove is cut deep enough on the M88A that itd take a hell of a force to cause this to happen. The firearm also has a trigger lock-out if there is a round chambered but no magazine. This is simply a piece of thin steel that moves out of the way when the magazine is inserted, and its easily removed if that feature annoys you.

As far as fit/finish/function, its what I expected for a $240 gun. Even after I cleaned the hell out of it the trigger and slide felt very gritty, and you can see rough machining on the slide track and where the trigger rides. I did a little light sanding and polishing which definitely made everything smoother, but I do believe that after I put some more rounds through her it will loosen up. I personally like the grips. My hands arent wide per say but I have very long fingers and the thumb pocket is actually quite comfortable. Just practicing a little bit my hand slides into place comfortably when drawing it without having to readjust. It appears to me that any standard Tok grips would fit as well if you dont like the ones supplied.

The trigger is a little heavy(not revolver heavy but heavier than my Romanian but who knows how many rounds have been through that thing) but it breaks predictably and clean with little take-up. Ive put 225 rounds(mixed ball and hollow point ammo) through it and the very first one stove-piped. Aside from that the other 224 fed/ejected without any problem. I was making nice 3" groups at about 10 yards with a few strays going low and left but I definitely think its because I was over-compensating for the recoil. Speaking of recoil, its almost non-existent since the entire firearm is steel (save the grips) making follow up shots a piece of cake. Between my wife and I, Id say the sights are dead on if not very close. With a few leading shots I was hitting pieces of clay pigeon laying on the hillside at 45-50 yards without much hassle.

I dont want to turn this into a ammo-penetration/stopping power/carry/quality debate but with the way the safety functions IN MY PERSONAL OPINION I feel confident leaving this firearm chambered and cocked for home-defense or carrying(aside from the hammer sticking up and getting caught on clothing). One could also leave the hammer down on a chambered round with the safety engaged and aside from a 1 in 1,000,000 catastrophic failure I see no way it could drop fire in this condition.

Overall I am very happy with it so far. Sweet gun for the money and its 100% true to its heritage aside from the caliber. I read on wiki that they produced it in 40 S&W as well but since this gun was almost immediately phased out we never got to see that in the US. Nice little gun in a caliber most of us can find these days without breaking the bank.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WILL THE STANDARD SLIDE FIT THE MINI ? WILL THE STANDARD BARREL FIT THE SHORT SLIDE AN JUST STICK OUT ? IS THE BARREL CHROME LINED ? IF ITS NOT IT CAN BE MADE INTO A 9X23 BY RECHAMBERING

iD LIKE ONE BUT MONEY IS A ISSUE .

IF THE FRAMES ARE THE SAME A 7.62X25 VERSION COULD BE BUILT POSSABLY BY CUTTING DOWN THE BARREL OF A STANDARD ONE .

IS THE MAG SHOE ON HTE BOTTOM PLASTIC OR STEEL OR METAL OF SOME TYPE ? IF ITS METAL i WANT ONE .

PERSONALY i WANT A TOKAREV WITH A 2" LONGER BARREL THAN STANDARD IN BOTH 9MM AN 7.62X25 .

Feedback Score

Hahaha you basically read my mind on all of that biggun because I was playing with the both of them disassembled when I went to clean it initially.

The barrel isnt advertised as nor does it appear to be chrome lined so youre probably onto something there. Its even more appealing since these guns are built like brick-shit houses to begin with.

The x25 barrel and barrel nut fit in the M88A slide perfectly and it fits in the M88A frame. The only thing not making it as simple as cutting down a barrel/recrowning are the ribs on the barrel & the barrel nut(heres a pic)

You can see on the 9mm barrel they machined the bottom of the 2nd rib off and cut a groove in the top of the nut to let the shorter slide cycle far enough back to let the round eject. Assuming that the M88 firing pin/ejector would work correctly and the recoil spring is heavy enough, I think a x25 conversion would be simple for someone of your skill. The only other thing to deal with is the block they inserted in the mag well to make the 9mm magazines work. Im not sure how easy it is to remove but its apparent to me that it was added after the fact and not machined out of the frame itself.

And finally yes the mag shoe is steel.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The only other thing to deal with is the block they inserted in the mag well to make the 9mm magazines work. Im not sure how easy it is to remove but its apparent to me that it was added after the fact and not machined out of the frame itself.

And finally yes the mag shoe is steel.
    YEA IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BE EASY TO CONVERT A X25 BARREL TO FIT .

THE MAG IS NO BUG DEAL JUST GET A M57 MAG AN USE AS IS . iM SURE THE BLOCK CAN COME OUT .

IF THERE ARE SPARE 9MM MAGS AVALIABLE I WANT ONE JUST FOR THE METAL MAG SHOE.

i HAVE ONE M57 CONVERTED TO 9MM . BARRELS ARE HARD TO GET . IF i CAN EVER FIND A SECOND NON CHROME LINED ONE IM GOING TO DO A 9X23WIN
    THE THIUGHT OF 357 MAG POWER OUT OF ONE OF THESE IS APEALING .

I WISH TO HELL SOME ONE WOULD MAKLE SOME AFTER MARKET BARRELS FOR THESE . iD LOVE A 2" LONGER THAN STOCK FULL SIZE SO IT WOULD BE LEGAL FOR HUNTING IN MY STATE AS WELL AS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE INCREASE IN VELOCITY .

I LOOKED IN TO MAKING ONE AN FOUND OUT THE LUGS ARE HARDENED SO YOU CANT JUST TURN ONE FROM A BLANMK THAT AN THE LINK LUG WOUL MEAN YOU WOULD NEED A 1.5" BLANK TO HAVE ENOUGH MATERAIL . i LOOKED INTO A 2 PIECE STET UP LIKE A BROWNING HIGH POWER AN IT WOULD BE DOABLE .

ON ONE OF MY X25 BARRELS i SWEAR i CAN SEE A LINE WERE THE LINK LUG AN THE BARREL WERE SEPARATE PIECES . EVERY ONE CLAIMES THEY WERE ONE PIECE HOW EVER .

iF i HAD THE THE CASH ID GET A COMPACT 9MM VERSION . I WISH I COULD FIND A SLIDE OFF ONE . MAYBE THERE WILL BE SOME ON GB IN A FEW YEARS?

I REMOVED THE SAFETY ON ON OF MINE I SEE NO REASON FOR IT . IN FACT I HAD ISSUES WITH ONE GUN DUE TOT HE ADDED FOR IMPORT SAFETY . IF I WERE EVER TO CARRY IT WITH ONE IN THE BARREL ( I DONT ) THE HALF COCK WOULD BE ALL I NEED TO FEEL SAFE .

WE NEED SOME NICE AFTER MARKET GRIPS FOR THESE THAT ARE NOT $50 AN BARREL OPTIONS AN THESE WOULD BE A GREAT LITTLE GUN.

I EVENTUALY WILL TRICK OUT ONE OF MINE .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks very much for the information and photos.

Feedback Score

Have a chinese Tokarev in 7.62x25. Years back lucked into a Buy it Now on fleabay on a 9mm parts kit. Kept the barrel, barrel bushing, magazine & magwell spacer. Used my TIG and attached the spacer to the mag. TADA convertable Tokarev. Best part was the fixed sights are ON with both ammo types 9mm 115gr and 7.62x25 Norinco. Down to a few hundred rounds of the Norinco stuff and shoot it in the Broomhandles. Fukin ammo bans.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have bene shooting 9mm out of my 7.62 mags with no spacer an have had no issues . not sure why you need the spacer other than to keep guys from sticking the wrong ammo in a 9mm

Am I missing somehting .

I am constantly looking for more 9mm barrels. IM also looking for a extra x25 barrel in good or bad conditon for a 22 cal wild cat project simular to the 22 Reed that I can reline to a 223 bore .

Feedback Score

Not missing anything but I had the magazine as it came with parts kit and without the spacer it was useless. Sold the left overs for more than I paid for the kit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id love to build a 2" longer barrel 9x23 win on one of these .

Feedback Score

Love those Toks. They almost feel like a 1903 Colt......I said ALMOST.
    Hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.