Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 6" barrel longslide 1911s?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bead blast to dull, if you want black Gunkote and bake on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    You're going to want a shoulder rig if you go a long slide from my experiences with them though.
    You start pulling one of those buggers out of a hip holster, and you'd think you were pulling a deep well pump out of the ground!!!! It just keeps coming and coming! Damn those things are long,,,and damn near as bad as the 50 AE Desert Eagle I used to have way back !! "Longer than Grandpa's"and heavy !!! No way in hell can you comfortably carry one in a side rig either. I don't recall what the "Hardballer" weighed, but it was noticeably heavier that a 5" and no way could you sit down with it on, the shoulder rig was the only practical way to carry it I found out.

I do like how well I can shoot with the long slides though, that long site radius really makes a world of difference for longer ranges and precision work. No doubt!

How sweat would one of those 7" "Hardballer's" be with a skeleton stock like the old Stevens "handy rifles" had a hundred years ago,, I'd think,,very nice! A mini ,,mini .45 carbine. Oh Ya!!!!
    A now deceased friend use his longslide hardballer in IPSC competition. His solution to the belt carry problem was an Ernie Hill Speedleather copy I made to fit his gun. Bending the sheetmetall liner was a pain, but it worked great. He made "A" class with essentially a stock gun, something that just didn't happen!

They were popular in the movies. AHNULD of course had the laser sighted one in Terminator, and Billy Zane wielded Twins as the Phantom. Saw one in Crocodile Dundee too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This KT Ordinance 80% 1911 frame I picked up a while ago is destined to be a rainy day long slide project. I'm kinda leaning towards a 7" barrel so I can thread it for a suppressor. Other than picking up the frame, I haven't really done anything with it yet. Just keeping an eye open for some decent parts to put on it.

Here it is next to my ATI GI 1911 with a 4" barrel.

The owner of KT Ordinance tossed these grips in for free when I visited his shop to pick up the frame. They're themed from the Boondocks Saints movie in case anyone is wondering about the logo.

The dust cover rail is completely solid, so I was thinking of drilling a couple of small holes on either side of center and putting a tiny laser in one side and a CREE LED in the other. It's harder to describe the idea that it would be to just do it. I've found a small enough laser system that I can adapt and I have a couple of ideas for the LED. The switches would be located at the rear of the rail so I can reach them with my trigger finger. When I get all the parts together I'll start a new thread if anyone wants to follow along with the build.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i've been looking around for a foster frame for my new "project" -- right now caspain don't have any in stock and don't know when they will have any more.

they have a nice stainless steel frame on their sight for $200 ish-- Double-Star seels a very nice frame that is railed for $300 some odd at brownells.

i don't think i want to put more than about two bills in a frame -- this is still sort of a budget project.

i have had excellent results from RIA frames --for $100 their sure hard to beat.

ibut then again my project is 'only" a 6"--LOL===

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Browning's original design had a 6" barrel and a nearly vertical grip. As it evolved into the 1911, it went from .38 ACP to .45, the barrel got shortened, and the grip angle increased. I think JMB called it right on the 6" barrel, though.

The 7" slides are okay, but the 6" slides look better to me. And I never cared for the "tongue sticking out" look of the AMTs with the barrel longer than the slide...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That doesn't surprise me a bit about competing in A class with the Hardballers, Kernel. Mine shot like crazy and was probably the most accurate out of the box 45 I ever owned and other than being a bit finicky about ammo it was probably the best all around 45 I ever owned, other than a full custom one.

I still really kick myself in the ass for ever selling it,, but like most everyone else here,,tastes and circumstances changed, so sadly it was one of those that got away.

I did occasionally carry it back in the day,, but this was way before the days of all the compact 45 models being available like they are now and the 1911 platform was my carry piece for many many years being the old school dude I was. The shoulder rig was all that really worked for me with the AMT sense there was no practical way you could even think of sitting down when it was in a side holster, trying to drive with it that way,,,,forgetaboutit!!!! It stayed tucked under my leg while driving or in a slide type holster attached to the side of the console of my truck.

Luckily back then suit jackets and turtle neck sweaters and YES bell bottoms,,,, were in style, so it was somewhat easyer to carry it in a shoulder rig. A regular Mod Squad dude with a big shinny 45!!!!

Oh My,, Oh my,,,how times have changed! I still miss those mini skirt days though !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I loved the "wrap skirts". They thought they were safely "commando" with a fairly long skirt then a gust of wind would pick up...

Feedback Score

Girls in skirts! LOL all them hormones.glad I fathered sons.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

called sarco and ordered the 6" para slide today-- they asked would you like one of our 6" 1911 barrels their on sale for only $29.99?

i'm thinking $29 for a 1911 barrel? i'll pass---LOL!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
    This KT Ordinance 80% 1911 frame I picked up a while ago is destined to be a rainy day long slide project. I'm kinda leaning towards a 7" barrel so I can thread it for a suppressor. Other than picking up the frame, I haven't really done anything with it yet. Just keeping an eye open for some decent parts to put on it.

Here it is next to my ATI GI 1911 with a 4" barrel.

The owner of KT Ordinance tossed these grips in for free when I visited his shop to pick up the frame. They're themed from the Boondocks Saints movie in case anyone is wondering about the logo.

The dust cover rail is completely solid, so I was thinking of drilling a couple of small holes on either side of center and putting a tiny laser in one side and a CREE LED in the other. It's harder to describe the idea that it would be to just do it. I've found a small enough laser system that I can adapt and I have a couple of ideas for the LED. The switches would be located at the rear of the rail so I can reach them with my trigger finger. When I get all the parts together I'll start a new thread if anyone wants to follow along with the build.
    I'd love to see it come together Mopar. Please start a thread when you're ready.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.