Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 6" barrel longslide 1911s?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

6" 1911 storm lake barrel came in today.

took like 3 minutes to install the link and pin and it just dropped in the slide --the barrel is a fine looking piece. i haven't bought a storm lake since my 'glock" days , but it seems like they have upped their game quite a bit --the finish on this one is well --finely polished and laser SL on the top, chamber is fully supported too.

cycled a few HPs and it looks fine-- going to test a fire a few rounds later today.

if it shoots like all the other storm lake barrels i have bought over the years it is going to be a real winner--and i expect as much.

now if only SARCO would send that 6" slide--

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

UPDATE--

the little brown truck brought my new 6" para ordnance slide today!

the bad --the slide has one of them goofy PMS er pst,pstp, psx, ptsd , "whatever" para type only extractors-- standard colt ones don't want to work , now according to SARCO most of the slides come with extractors that match them up--but this one didn't. lucky for me i had a box of "oddball " extractors and one from a charles daly stainless 1911 looks like it might work.

also no firing pin or spring, and the firing pin stop is also a tiny bit non standard --

the good--

the slide looks absolutely brand new , not a scrape or ding to be seen. if has a dull stainless and black finish -- the slide fits the foster/cap frame just about perfectly

with the exception that the ejector needed a little spit and polish job to get the slide to rack fully. other than that little buff out it went in to the frame perfectly absolutely no slack and smooth as oiled chrome ball bearings---

the storm lake barrel was a perfect fit to the slide the lugs seem to match up perfectly with a stock cold barrel link and pin.

at first i thought i would put in one of those match barrel bushings like my other slides have but i has an old charles daly stainless bushing so i thought i would give it a try --at first it seemed too loose on the barrel but i thought i'll just put it on there to test cycle the slide frame fit cause i know this one ain't too tight--

well after the thing was assembled it seems the bushing is plenty tight ---no movement at all in the barrel/slide fit -tight as a drum. so i think ill give it a go before i start replacing shit 'just because"--

and the damn 6" 1911 recoil spring? --man what a strong spring! they must have used some surplus bear trap springs cause this one must be at least 22lbs-- 18lbs would have been more than enough for this set up.

i may try one of their 9mm springs --

and it is a bit heavy with 10 rounds of 230s in those chip mc-c mags--

aside from SARCO throwing me a curve ball on the small parts --like the do most of the time --LOL this thing is looking very interesting---

Feedback Score

Shoot that thing already why don't you? LOL! What's a missing finger or so! Think about the Wright brothers. At the worst they could have been the wrong brothers.

Feedback Score

Really glad you got everything. Be safe. Or give me a call for hey y'all watch this!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

shot the po-do out of it late yesterday afternoon.

easy to hit with even with no back sights--!!

ran about 150 rounds through it some reloads, some aquilas, some remingtons , mostly FMJ but a couple mags of HPs and even some underpowered tula steel cased ammo .

the first three mags of 10 rounds each had one failure to go into battery.

after the first tree no more problems. shot all the other rounds with out incident.

the pistol is very smooth operating , it has a "longer" recoil that a 5" set up.

very easy to shoot quickly and keep on target. i put 10 rounds rapid fire in a 12 pack beer box @ 20 paces in a group the size of a baseball --

when i get some sights on this thing it is going to be really a sweet shooter.

another thing i like about it is it ejects the rounds into a little pile about the size of a baseball hat--

the current set up for the 6" is it is running a 9mm firing pin with XP firing pin spring, a charles daly 1911 extractor in stainless steel which fits a bit deep in the slide but it works with the odd sized para PST set up.

really happy with the function and accuracy of it-- when i get more $$ i'm going to put some XS-big dot night sights on it- and of course shoot a lot more ammo--!!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Congrats, and it sounds great.
    Now where are the pics
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

humm i don't have a digital camera not even on my phone. some of my neighbors do have camera phones so when its finished up i'll see about posting a few pics.

it is a very nice looking pistol with that big stainless steel/black two tone slide -- it looks 'right" more or less . it is slightly nose heavy , nothing weird --it sort of feels like some revolvers in that way.

i put the overly long and stout 6" para recoil spring in it yesterday . let it sit with the slide locked to the back overnight thinking it might be like a mag spring -- compressing it gets it down to a rated lb set --

this morning the spring though still very strong --seems to be more in the "normal' range for a 1911 --still seems stronger than 18lbs --maybe 19 or 20lbs maybe another little break in run and it will be setting pretty at 18lbs--LOL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

humm i don't have a digital camera not even on my phone. some of my neighbors do have camera phones so when its finished up i'll see about posting a few pics.

it is a very nice looking pistol with that big stainless steel/black two tone slide -- it looks 'right" more or less . it is slightly nose heavy , nothing weird --it sort of feels like some revolvers in that way.

i put the overly long and stout 6" para recoil spring in it yesterday . let it sit with the slide locked to the back overnight thinking it might be like a mag spring -- compressing it gets it down to a rated lb set --

this morning the spring though still very strong --seems to be more in the "normal' range for a 1911 --still seems stronger than 18lbs --maybe 19 or 20lbs maybe another little break in run and it will be setting pretty at 18lbs--LOL

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Looks like the double posting thing is happening again

That's ok you don't have a digital camera, I'm always behind on electronics because they keep changing to fast, seems like they do this to suck the money out of people.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

lol-- i got the same cell phone ever since the digital shit came out. i guess it is what is called today a dumb phone-- but i didn't cost anything and it makes phone calls fine--lol no camera though--

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Looks like the double posting thing is happening again

That's ok you don't have a digital camera, I'm always behind on electronics because they keep changing to fast, seems like they do this to suck the money out of people.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.