Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 6" barrel longslide 1911s?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak 6" barrel longslide 1911s?

anybody got a 6" barreled long-slide 1911?

since sarco got all those para slides -- i have been itching for another 1911 build up-- all my other 1911s are 5" guns so i wanting to do something outside the box--

any problems with the 6" versions i should be aware of? or should i just stick with the 5"s---????

Feedback Score

Always wanted to so I could build a hunting pistol. If you do keep us up on it. Only thing I recall people said it had a weird recoil feel. Kinda drawn out. Nothing bad tho.

Feedback Score

Have an ole AMT Long Slide (hardballer) the only problem that I had with it was
    FTF 200gr. LSWC, gunsmith took care of that though ( they were known for that)
    The only difference I have notice is you may find yourself trying to offset the
    additional weight and length.
    Same can be said with a Desert Eagle people tend to shoot high. As mentioned
    above recoil is "different" because of the length, movement, additional weight
    but no problems (laws of physics). One other thing if you reload, some loads
    that worked in your 5" may not cycle the longer slide..I had to beef up my reloads
    for it to complete the cycle, you can replace springs, buffers to do this, but becomes
    a PITA to keep swapping them out to fire "ball" ammo.. so it's just easier to load a
    little hotter ( they are all under max.) I use WW231, CCI300, 200gr Cast LSWC.
    Soooo... Go for it...

-Rock

Feedback Score

Back in another lifetime, I had a chance to shoot an AMT HardBaller LongSlide. Sweet. If I was as smart as I think I am, I would have stolen that thing. 7" barrel IIRC and hardly any recoil.
    427, why do you need a long barrel? This past Saturday I took a small wild pig with my Star PD45.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    Back in another lifetime, I had a chance to shoot an AMT HardBaller LongSlide. Sweet. If I was as smart as I think I am, I would have stolen that thing. 7" barrel IIRC and hardly any recoil.
    Hunter
    Yeah no the feeling but back then I got paid on friday...road trip to gun shop, bought anything and everything..
    Gun shop would just throw the catalogs (shotgun news also) on the counter and I would say give me one of these, one of those
    and I did pass up on a "lot" of things... but live and learn...

-Rock

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've got an 80% 1911 frame from a shop out of Dillon, MT a while ago that I've been sitting on to do a long slide build. I still haven't found a blank long slide yet is the big hold up. Everything I've found already has the serrations, and sight cuts done and usually some kind of lettering and or logo plastered all over both sides.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Back in the day smiths cut two 5" slides and welded them to make a long slide. Worked just fine, though I imagine if you were bluing the result you'd have to be very picky about your filler rod. Sarco had some cut slides a while back. I've seen 0% slides on occasion.

Alternatively, a good hand with a TIG could take care of any unwanted lettering or grooving if you found a slide otherwise suitable...

I've passed on guns that had GIANT ADVERTISING cast or machined into them. And I really, really wanted one of those TWS billet AK top covers, but they won't sell one without TEXAS WEAPON SYSTEMS ball-milled deeply into it. At the price those go for, I don't want it badly enough to buy one *and* have it welded and remachine it...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

well SARCO has some 6" slides no welding required -- i think the cheapest one is $195 and storm lake makes a 6" barrel for $150--

as all ways there is a catch i all ready have a 5" storm lake/sig barrel and a 5" slide is $100 cheaper--LOL--

a lot of green $$ for that 1" ---LOL!

wern't those AMTs all 7"? -- if i go this way it will be a 6"

no real reason i see to get a 6" over the standard 5" -- and even more complications a 6" will work fine in a 5" slide but it does stick out--LOL!---

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    well SARCO has some 6" slides no welding required -- i think the cheapest one is $195 and storm lake makes a 6" barrel for $150--

as all ways there is a catch i all ready have a 5" storm lake/sig barrel and a 5" slide is $100 cheaper--LOL--

a lot of green $$ for that 1" ---LOL!

wern't those AMTs all 7"? -- if i go this way it will be a 6"

no real reason i see to get a 6" over the standard 5" -- and even more complications a 6" will work fine in a 5" slide but it does stick out--LOL!---
    Well I'd gladly pay some extra coin for an extra "inch". My wife would probably kick in a few $$$ as well. LMAO!!

Seriously though, if you build it, document it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

well lest see an extra 1" is probably 50 fps with 230gr --but with a 165 45 super?? are talking 100fps+++????

an extra bit certainly would help-- damn storm lake makes fine barrels!!!

i am just about to commit to it-- and damn i hate commitment--LOL!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.