Thread: has anyone done thisyet?

Feedback Score

Default has anyone done thisyet?

got looking at the 300aac blackout and thought of this the 308 necked down to a 270 diameter bullet in the 300aac carttrige. any yhoughts or has some one done it?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Many years ago they started fire forming .223 cartridges to take a 7mm bullet (7 TCU). They were a great cartridge for Contender pistols in Metallic Silhouette. I've often wondered why someone hadn't experimented with it in an AR platform. I have a 6x45 in an AR and really like it. The .223 case would probably have to be cut back a little to get the cartridge into an AR magazine. Also the 300 Blackout was designed to throw a heavy bullet at low velocity, so there may not be a real good reason to use a .270 or .284 bullet in an AR 15....JMHO

Feedback Score

isn't the 6.8 spc close to a 270? wouldn't have to have a special mag. if done like a 300 aac.

Feedback Score

also would,t have to change bolts either.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yea you could do that and it would probably work pretty good , you could also do a 257, a 357, a 6.5 and a 6mm --

i think the 6mm was pretty popular and the ballistics was still pretty good --

the problem with all these 5.56 case work up deals is very limited room in the case for powder and bigger bullets get longer and won't fit in the mag.

6.8 bolts ain't expensive or hard to come by --barrels are about the same price as 5.56 -- only thing is ammo $17 for a box of 20-- when in stock and that ain't often. a 300 BO is a little better --but i can find better uses for .308 bullets--LOL

as messed up as the ammo market is today it ain't a good time to be messing with odd ball stuff.

heck i got a 6.5 upper that i have had for a few years now , was one of my favorites till ammo got all crazy -- and ammo for it was never plentiful before the panic.

brass now costs more than loaded hi-grade ammo did when i bought the thing-- ammo and brass for it are a big PITA these days.

Feedback Score

I hear ya!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.