Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: .40 s&w/10mm barrel in 45 acp 1911 slide? anybody tried it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    How many .40 S&W rounds can you get in a double stack para frame/magazine? I'm seriously thinking about trying to put one of these together. Something with a short barrel but full size grip, for CCW. I'm sure I could buy a piece here and there to keep the wife happy on gun part spending. LOL. What would be a good parts list (quality parts without getting expensive) to build one Kernel? If you don't mind, that is.
    IIRC, they held 16 rds of .40. That was back before they had the actual length limits on magazines, I think these days you can get an IPSC legal mag that holds a few more.

Quality and not expensive? You can have good quality and cheap, choose one! With the Para double stack frames the only Para specific parts ya need are the trigger, mag release, and grips. Magwell if ya want a flared/extended one, of course. Everything else is standard 1911, IIRC.

If I were building a cary piece, I would go with a Commander length slide. STI slides are nice. Nowlin ramped bbl, hammer, sear, disconnector. Novak night sights. The rest is pretty much personal preference as to safety, grip safety, mainspring housing, etc. Brownells sells quaility parts, if they have it it is good to go. I do like to use the Clark Custom split sear spring, keeps the trigger job from being destroyed when some YaHoo drops the slide on an empty gun without pulling the trigger. Get the bbl "shop fit", not pre fit for max accuracy.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...&avs|Price_1=* TO 14xzzx99

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    IIRC, they held 16 rds of .40. That was back before they had the actual length limits on magazines, I think these days you can get an IPSC legal mag that holds a few more.

Quality and not expensive? You can have good quality and cheap, choose one! With the Para double stack frames the only Para specific parts ya need are the trigger, mag release, and grips. Magwell if ya want a flared/extended one, of course. Everything else is standard 1911, IIRC.

If I were building a cary piece, I would go with a Commander length slide. STI slides are nice. Nowlin ramped bbl, hammer, sear, disconnector. Novak night sights. The rest is pretty much personal preference as to safety, grip safety, mainspring housing, etc. Brownells sells quaility parts, if they have it it is good to go. I do like to use the Clark Custom split sear spring, keeps the trigger job from being destroyed when some YaHoo drops the slide on an empty gun without pulling the trigger. Get the bbl "shop fit", not pre fit for max accuracy.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...&avs|Price_1=* TO 14xzzx99
    Thanks for the reply/info Kernel!! Good stuff. :-)
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Totally agree with the kernel especially with the split sear spring. Great answer kernel!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

One of the guns I used to own and wished I still had was a stainless Colt Delta Elite. I put a lot, I mean a lot of hot 10mm thru that thing. It never even whimpered. I did have a heavy recoil spring in it, along with a shok-buff. I see that RIA makes a full size 1911 10mm. I wonder how they would hold up? Anyhow, I've been playing with the idea of building a commander or even an officers model in 40sw.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

you should see those 3" slides SARCO has got on sale today! $75 -- where is 4th? he is into all the shorties ???

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    One of the guns I used to own and wished I still had was a stainless Colt Delta Elite. I put a lot, I mean a lot of hot 10mm thru that thing. It never even whimpered. I did have a heavy recoil spring in it, along with a shok-buff. I see that RIA makes a full size 1911 10mm. I wonder how they would hold up? Anyhow, I've been playing with the idea of building a commander or even an officers model in 40sw.

Feedback Score

No problem with rock island frames had 10 top end on my frame for awhile with no changes after going back to 45.my colts are in the safe and the rock island is on the belt .till the bears wake up.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the results of my 10mm barrel in the 45ACP slide so far look very good.

it feeds and shoots 10mm normally.

only thing is IF you going to attempt to put a 10mm barrel in a 45 acp slide this won't work with EVERY 45 acp slide. my old GI rem slide is a no-go

out of the three i have two of them seem fine but one has too wide a face to work at all.

the 6" para slides might work with 10mm but you can't really tell till you have a 6" 10mm barrel and extractor and attempt to set it up. then you got that goofy PXT-PMS=PTSD extractor set up to deal with. LOL

been trying to locate a storm lake 6" 10mm barrel to test this theory out.

one gripe i got about that colt XSE barrel that i got from numrich is it is not fully supported.

all the 45 acp berrels i have got from storm lake are fully supported. i don't know about their 10mm. i suspect it has far more support than many ramped barrels--if i get one i'll report on the support situation.

just because a barrel has a ramp don't mean it is fully supported -- i have seen a few ramped barrels that are as unsupported in the chamber area as this XSE barrel --

this is a great barrel for $40-- but i woudn't shoot some of those barn burner loads in it.

but it can still handle 10mm to about 660ft-lbs well into 400 corbon power range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.