Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .40 s&w/10mm barrel in 45 acp 1911 slide? anybody tried it?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 .40 s&w/10mm barrel in 45 acp 1911 slide? anybody tried it?

just playing around with one of my 1911s and i thought i would try it with a 40 S&W round for fit--

to my suprize the 40 round fit the 45 acp mag fairly snug, so i thought i'll see if it will chamber the round and it did--

i thought well , lets see if it would eject-- and it did--- so i fed and ejected a few rounds by hand cycle --all but one ejected fine ---

so i'm thinking that 40/10mm is close to 45 enough that a barrel and extractor swap might work --key word here is MIGHT work -- the 40 round found its way in that 45acp chamber slick and quick-- however a 40 chamber is quite a bit smaller --sooooo---

anybody try a 40/10mm barrel in a 45acp slide ? did it work? or was it a jam-o-matic? just fiddiling around with it it looks like it could work --provided your slide-frame runout is within certain limits --then again there might be ramp problems as well--???

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I'm not sure, but I'd personally love a double stack 1911 in .40 S&W. Would be great if you could do that with a Para P14.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

that would probably work good with a ramped barrel i suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    I'm not sure, but I'd personally love a double stack 1911 in .40 S&W. Would be great if you could do that with a Para P14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Extractor would not reach in far enough, I would think. Also you have durability issues with full power 10mm loads in a 1911. .40 works great in them though, built a few Para Ord frames up as race guns back in the day. Used the proper slides though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I would suggest a 400 corbon or 40 super barrel. no issues with the extractor and it is the same recoil pulse as a 45 with the 400 corbon. It drives a 135 grain .40 at 357 mag velocity of 1450 FPS. The 45 super is a super hot load that would beat up a 45 frame in no time. Underwood ammo list its 40 super 135 grain at 1775 FPS.

Feedback Score

j427, who years ago use to mahe a 1911 lower that you could double stack 45s? had a wide mag, well grip.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Extractor would not reach in far enough, I would think. Also you have durability issues with full power 10mm loads in a 1911. .40 works great in them though, built a few Para Ord frames up as race guns back in the day. Used the proper slides though.
    How many .40 S&W rounds can you get in a double stack para frame/magazine? I'm seriously thinking about trying to put one of these together. Something with a short barrel but full size grip, for CCW. I'm sure I could buy a piece here and there to keep the wife happy on gun part spending. LOL. What would be a good parts list (quality parts without getting expensive) to build one Kernel? If you don't mind, that is.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think were getting off on witness type pistols-- they make some excellent 40s that hold 15 rounds in the full sized ones same with 10mm-- you can get them short barreled too. i've got one of the older small frame witnesses that holds 12 rounds in the mag --a very close CZ clone and it shoots great. i also have the match full size witness in 10mm with a 40 S&W barrel that i swap back and forth --it holds 15 rounds of either. both are great pistols--

what i was asking was about the 1911 45 acp slide assembly--

since a don't have a 40/10mm1911 barrel to try i can't tell IF a 10mm/40 size barrel would work in the 45 acp slide with a 40 extractor swap--

i have heard of this working-- i suspect it might work if you have a tight frame to slide fit.

since i got a 45 acp 6" slide on the way-- boy wouldn't it be fun to have a 6" 10mm--too!?-- LOL!

with the fully supported 6" 45 acp barrel 45 super will be fine along with a higher spring--

the extra weight of the 6" slide/barrel and a heavy spring could really dampen a 10mm in recoil.

not super serious about the 10mm 6" but was wondering if a 40 size barrel swap was doable without too much waste-- just in case i come across a 10mm 6" 1911 barrel that someone wants rid of--LOL!--

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Yeah, sorry I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. You just got me to thinking about building a 1911 style in .40. I have plenty of CZ based firearms, and love the Witness, but I'd like to build something where I can take my time amassing parts and tinkering when I feel like it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think para ordnance makes a hi-cap 1911 like pistol in 40 both SA and DA/DAO types sarco has un-machined frames for them too. would be a interesting build idea.

i am pretty much set up for single stack 1911 as far as tooling goes --

nothing beats the single stack 1911 for parts and responding to a tune up --even got tons a springs for the para 6" slide! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.