Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Remodel ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wow guys the latest and last period logging road ca.me within 25-2yards of PVC Tubing .family land.My dad stashed a small freezer buried under a bank. I told him I remember when he did it and he said wished you hadn't. When he passes I'll check it. Probably titty shots of the girl in the Azores. He never got that carried away.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Defiantly something like the k wool for fireproofing, with the final inside layer being fire board to spray glue a marine rubber backed carpet to. It is easy to work with and looks really good. My safe is in a corner in a room with no windows and bolted to the floor joists in 6 places, through the back into the studs in 6 places and through one side in 6 places with 5/8 lag bolts and huge washers inside.

Forget about racks too, they take up to much room. I put each gun in the padded gun sleeves and alternate direction, when putting them in; ie one barrel down, next one up,,ect. ect. with that set up I have almost 60 rifles in a 42 gun safe not counting tons of handguns also in padded pistol rugs, also laying on there side and alternating on the top shelf.

So in that one particular 42 gun safe I safely store almost 100 guns doing it as I did and with the padded pistol rugs and padded rifle sleeves you'll never even get a scratch and can maximize the storage room in a relatively small safe ,,much better that way. I keep my safe queens in back and the ones I use all the time up front so there not really to hard to get at.

Oh BTW, seal around any bolt holes/heads from the inside with hydraulic cement to keep the safe more fire proof should there be a fire in a conventional construction house. In a major structure fire the bolts would burn away from the wood allowing fire inside the safe, with cement around them, it won't. And by installing in a corner you'll make it much more difficult for anyone to hook on to the safe in any meaningful way or to be able to be able to pry open a door. Put the handle side towards the corner wall also so it's even harder to get any type of bar between the space on the door and frame sense the wall will be in the way when trying to pry it open.

For inside lights and dehumidifier just use rechargeable stuff, I have a under counter battery operated LED light with rechargeable batteries with Velcro to hold it to the inside wherever it gives the most light,they work great. Forget about the door pistol hanger things,,they suck, pistol rugs on a top shelve work way better and will protect the guns much better while taking up much less room. And if you want to store mags on the door, just buy the cheap 3-4 dollar mag pouches, sew Velcro to the back and stick them on the inside of the door carpet, simple. Shoe hangers work well for hi cap rifle mags too, but I like pouches much better, just grab um and go.

For you guys that live in a concrete type structure or if it's in a cellar,you can also put a block wall filled with insulation or sand, or a poured wall around the safe making it even more fire proof and more secure, making sure the wall/pening for the door stands proud of the door by a couple inches or so to make it even tougher to get a bar in the door crack to get any leverage. Doors are the weak spot on any safe so make it as hard as possible to be able to get a bar into the door gap on it.

Sure,,There's more you can do, but unless you've got the contents of Fort Knox stored in there,or have super deep pockets to buy something super special, that should be just fine for the average homeowner with out spending a fortune for security.

Stay away from electronic locks too, one of the several garage door master codes will open them right up, my bud showed me that trick when he opened >15 safes in a row at just one of the stores we were in, and they had high end Liberty's and several other expensive brands there too, not just cheap ones.

That just blew the guys mind at the store when he saw that,and he just couldn't believe it, he also lost 25 bucks by betting my friend that he couldn't open up the Liberty. OOPS!!! He did, on the first try and in about 10 seconds!!! CA-CHING $$$ for my bud,,,,

Like I said, there was about 15 20 safes on one wall and my bud opened every single one in less than 2 minutes. People just started walking out or started looking at conventional dial locks when they saw that,,,,that blew me away too!! I didn't realize the electronic locks were that bad, but obviously so after seeing that one, they are.

Hope those tips help out Coils, and those are just a few things I learned over the years about safes and installing them. I'm sure some other guys will have other suggestions too.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Where to start?

Sprat thanks for the links, and the info about the dehumidifiers that don't need electric, I found a few and will look into them more for reviews and things like that. I always thought you needed something more then that, hell everyone I know always says you need something like a Golden Rod type thing.

As for fire proofing, I want to get everything out of it first and go from there, and yes I've heard about the drywall trick before, even a cheap Stack On cabinet can be made better with this.
    I also got to check the seal of the door, I don't think this one has any, fire proofing it won't do much good if the door has gaps around it.

Dutigaf I did not see your spinner thing, is it posted here or on WG?

TWA that's a good idea putting each one in it's own soft case, that would be really good for the ones that hardly get used and can be put in the back. Do you think those Gun Sock things would work for this? They are already silicone impregnated to help fight corrosion, and better yet they are fairly cheap.
    I heard about turning every other one upside down already to fit more in the same space.
    I'll have to look into battery powered lights too, I keep forgetting how far LED lights have come in the last few years.

And yes this is an older safe and still has the mechanical dial, not one of those push pads.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

And TWA, I mentioned having pistols on the door because I was thinking of a couple long ones I have, not filling the whole thing up with them.

OK here's three pics of the inside, that vertical support & the horizontal one on top of it are mounted solid. I wouldn't mind having something like that in there but the horizontal one is a little to low, a fixed stock AK74 won't fit under it, the muzzle brake hits it.
    So maybe this gives you a better idea why I want to redo it.
    That rack thing on the right is setup for 14 guns and the back ones can be used for really long rifles as there's a notch in the top shelf. But it looks like this thing is setup more for lever or pump style rifles, I think even bolt guns with bent bolt handles would be a tight fit.

The inside dimensions are 29" wide x 57" height x 21" deep
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

70's shag carpet baby!! rock on!

LMAO

yeah its a pic i posted here at GUNCO somewhere about 2 months ago.. shows my spinners in there. looked last nite and couldnt find it.. or on my com... will look again or take you a new one.

s
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

This is how mines set up,,,,and yes it's packed quite full. If I take out some of the full mags out on the top right shelve and put them on the door in the pouches as I said before, they'll be room for several more handguns if I want. It has 94 guns in there right now,,so I was off just a bit, but still over double of what the safe is designed to hold.. My other safe is set up the same and has almost as much in it. Just mostly my military stuff that's not super valuable in that one. Then I have a small 1930's floor safe I bought at a jewelry store auction that has several more handguns. All of them are lag bolted to walls and floors in 3 different directions and are in corners, so I don't think they'll be going anywhere soon, you'd have to pull the whole damn house down to get to them.

That and you'd have to get past the critters, my son and myself first even to get close to the safes. Probably won't happen, if anybody wants to live to see another day,,,,

Ya that carpet ,,IS ,,classy!!!! Don't blame ya for changing it out and definatly get rid of the racks. Those padded gun sleaves are only 5-6 bucks apiece when you buy them 10 at a time at most gun shows. I love them myself, just use a hang tags to tell what's in each one, that will save some digging if you're looking for something particular. Myself I can tell by feel,,99% of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ok went out and snapped a quick shot....

here it is..

spinners.jpg
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My handguns all stay loaded except for revolvers. That's the rule around here,,"treat every gun like it's loaded",,,,cause around here ,,,THEY ARE!!!! Ready for action, rack the slide and go.

If you get pressed for space Dutigaf, dump those rotisseries and go gun sleeves, you'll double you're capacity. I just keep a couple out that I would use in a SHTF case, hence the AK, VZ and PPS are not in sleeves and there are 2 loaded 75 rounders for each right handy and 5, 35 rounders for the PPS43 easy to grab and ready to rock.

That's my mode.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

ok so this thread has turned into show me your safe, here is my main safe, note its packed!!!!!!!!!!!
    also note the dehumidifer hanging, this is taken out every three months and plugged in recharged and hung, most of the rifles/pistols are in bore storesAttachment 36881
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

THAT'S WHY,,,,I haven't bought a rifle in a while,,,just NO friggin room left for guns OR more safes!!!! I'm going to need a separate gun building here pretty soon,,,,,if I keep it up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.