Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Remodel ?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Gun Safe Remodel ?

I just recently picked up an older gun safe that I want to redo the inside of it because it's not setup very well and is ugly, I'll post pics later with inside dimensions to make it easy to understand what I'm working with.
    But in short the ugly is it's lined with a red'ish shag carpet that's glued in, and it has adjustable shelves on one side and a poorly designed rifle rack on the other, there's a vertical divider that's mounted to the bottom & to a shelf at the top that goes from each side.

Also I can't see any holes or knockouts in the back or bottom to get power inside for climate control items or lights. How hard do you think it would be to make a hole for this?

I need to know what's the best way to attack this to get all this stripped out, and were are some good places to get the items to rebuild the interior.
    I'd like to have something like a dark gray or charcoal style liner, make it so it will hold as many rifles as possible without banging them against each other, but still have fairly easy access to them. And would like to add something to the inside of the door to hang some pistols & mags.

So to start with, any suggests on places to buy supplies?
    And any links that might have pics of peoples setups to help get some ideas would help for now too.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My last retirement job paid the least and taught me the most.hole saws are available to anchor your safe to concrete with epoxy studs.I sold products to guys that seated atm's and secured bars in jail cells. So many people thought setting a safe up and filling it up with guns is all you need till somebody hooks a chain around the safe and jerks it out of their house and takes off down the road dragging it.true story btw.don't leave your tools out. Had a friend with a plasma cutter in the same barn his safe was in. Duh!

Feedback Score

You have to have some Brunswick bowling sized balls to drag a safe thru a wall on a chain hooked to a truck.

Everyone here is armed to the teeth and there is always someone home just dying to balance out the low essential metal ion levels in thieves. Fill em up with leaded!

Having nosey neighbors is a PITA but also sometimes works out well!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lol! More than one of my customers had their safe in the walkout basement with sliding glass doors. By the time the perpetrators yanked the safe thru the sliding glass doors and down their mile long driveway ADT had alerted local leo.neighbors? Depends on where you live.I did enjoy learning and teaching customers how to better contain/control their possessions.And how to make jails safer. For us.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

ok back on track withthe subject

I have a liberty safe they offer accessories http://www.libertysafe.com/accessori...ons-ps-15.html

I also bought the lighting from these guys http://www.maxmysafe.com/default.asp

whatever you do bolt that safe down and in the back, my locksmith drilled through the predrilled holes added lugs into the concrete with special bolts with a hammer drill, there is a unit for lighting access, most safes are 10-12 gauge steel you can drill though it, I use a humidifer that recharges you just need to plug it in every three months then hang CTD sells it most safe companys sell them

I would hit google or similar sites to find shelving and racks that are universal again CTD ( cheaper than dirt) has them,

indoor and out carpet may work to help with fire protection you can add drywall ( plasterboard) they do sell fireproof drywall then add the rug
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sprat has it right. Drywall is what is used for fire protection. All I can offer is advice on theft protection.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah drywall is used for the cheaper lines of safes... ones that are only good down around 1200F...

GOOD safes are lined with ceramic fiber.. Kwool, cera wool, Klite.. stuff like that... depending on what you want to pay you can get fireproofing for up to 2300F for 90 minutes.

my last safe purchase was certified for that range.

now about making it work on the inside for as much as you can? have you seen the pic of the spinners i put in mine? it lets it hold a LOT more guns without beating them up.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Which leads to a question.Where you put your ammo in?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

my ammo is not in my safes.... they are way too small for that...
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

ammo goes in surplus air tight ammo cans with desicants, fireproofing well may liberty is rated for 45 minutes, but we have little wood to burn having a concrete florida home.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.