Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OH BOY OH BOY!!!!!!!

Feedback Score

Congrats TWA. Very nice additions indeed.

Feedback Score

NICE MY MAN, NICE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sweet! (not sweat) But seriously, I would love to have a Luger. Even better would be if I could get my dad a Luger. He's always wanted one.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Neat. I never knew they made a Sporter type rifle. I have one in .303 from WWI. Jeez, that thing must be 4 1/2 feet long. The action is smoother than the old Hungarian M95s. Enjoy them Mister.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

Very nice. Congrats

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ross rifles are so well done pieces of craftsmanship. Congrats again!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ya Ya MtDew,,,I know I can't spell,,,,

Those pics I put up are when I got them when they were still filthy. I've been spending the last 2 days spiffing them up and getting everything oiled up real nice. After all the tear down and clean up I found out the # match on all of them, and the S/42 Luger cleaned up really nice and the bluing , other than a couple minor parts must be a honest 90% and the bore is great, it looks like new!!!! So I had to go out and try it out,,,of course. Shoots as well as I remember too,knocking beer cans every time at 30 yards was no problem, I didn't miss once,,not to bad for a 70+ year old gun,,that works for me! It don't like HP's though but 124 gr RN worked perfect. Yes Sprat that is the original holster too with the tool,but missing the extra mag. I know the provenance of it too, my Dad got it on a trade from the guy that brought the gun home from WW11, so other than not knowing who had it in Germany, it's had 4 owners total counting me. Damn I love the craftsmanship that went into those Lugers, they are a work of art the way the parts are fit. Craftsmanship at it's best!!

The 1900 DWM Eagle Luger didn't fall into the "test gun " serial number range though, it's a earlier number, made in early 1902 to be exact. The "test guns" were later., in the 6K&7K range, this one is 40xx. There IS allot of stuff to know about those Lugers, there a niche gun for sure and there is a lot of nuances between different models with them,,,see,,I'm STILL learning every day,,,,,I guess you never get to old to learn.

That Ross is no slouch either, that's one finely made gun too and I'm going to have to say it's a honest 98% gun, the checkering is just as sharp as the day it was cut and the stock is almost gouge free, and those couple minor ones didn't even break the finish there so minor. The bore is incredibly nice. And after getting it all cleaned up that one is probably as nice any one in a museum I'd be willing to bet. It's super super nice for a gun that's >110 years old. I'd shoot it tomorrow if I had ammo and I do have the dies and bullet sizing dies for it, brass is $62.95 for 20 empty cases and I've only found it one place. And found 1 box loaded @145 bucks,,GEZZZZZZ,,,guess I won't be shooting it unless I find cases!! I think I have a few, but very few and .284 bullets????? Don't no about them, ain't found um yet. Got loading specs from one of my old books though,,so part way there. I may have to just cast some and size them down from something else in the 140 -160 grain range. I've found 3 other Ross's that are in the approximately the same condition as this one is in or lesser and there asking from 2600-3200 for them and one that was just a titch better sold for 3600. So the value is just a bonus and I'm guessing around 3K would be a close "true" value from what I've seen out there and what it would be worth if I ever wanted to sell it, which I don't. There pretty scarce for sale, at least good ones like this one are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.