Thread: learned a new 1911 trick today--

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 learned a new 1911 trick today--

ya know that RIA 1911 frame i built up a few years ago?

when it was first assembled it had some 'stickyness" in the dissconector and i fiddled around with it for some time before i got it to run proper.

to keep it running it had to be oiled and cleaned and it still has a slight sticky spot. not out of battery or hammer follow bad but enough to make me wonder if something was just slightly off--

since snow was on the ground with all this global warming i had most of the afternoon to play around with it and see WTH was going on.

on a lark i thought i'll just put all the US gi parts i have pulled of 1911s on there and see if there is any improvement--

sure enough ----

somehow that expensive adjustable trigger was the cause of the sticky dissconnocter. the moment i put the old GI steel trigger back in there the disconnector/sear/hammer action improved greatly-- now the old rock FCG parts seem as smooth as those in the capsian 6" --

and people wonder why i don't sell or throw away pull offs--LOL!

damn 1911s ya learn something new ever day!

never toss an old 1911 part ya pulled off-- even if it is USGI ugly--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

you will never stop learning, I don't throw out parts either
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How many here can assemble at least two complete 1911s out of their spare parts drawer?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

LOL krink !! this is ONE of those i built out of "spares"

it has got the very loose 1943 remington rand slide and a unknown steel barrel that numrich sold me that was supposed to be a colt--

the irony is the stock trigger improved the trigger pull and feel over the 'trick" part--

now i got it fixed i got a spare disconnector comming from midway-- hey i guess i'll have to build another 1911--LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    How many here can assemble at least two complete 1911s out of their spare parts drawer?
    Maybe just one, yukedy, yuk!

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I've fitted a few parts on a couple of my 1911's, and I've refitted (or replaced) parts installed by other people. It's amazing how cheap people will sell a decent 1911 because of
    a crappy trigger. A little time spent on fitting parts, or replacing with correct spec pieces, can produce a nice shooter or a quick return on investment. If they've butchered the
    thing by filing or bad machining, I'll usually pass on it. Repairing frames or replacing slides can get expensive, but a trigger job, sear/disconnector, or soft springs is usually an
    affordable no-brainer. I've run across some really lousy replacement parts. Even good parts can require a fair amount of tweaking to get them 100% functional.

If you don't already have it, pick up a copy of "The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual, Vol 1." by Jerry Kuhnhausen. This is the one that details proper fitting of parts and making
    the 1911 work the way it should.

You could also pick up "The U.S. M1911/M1911A1 Pistols and Commercial M1911 Type Pistols- A Shop Manual Vol. 2." if you want extensive (and excessive) info on blueprinting
    and parts tolerances.

Both books are good, but Volume 1 is the one you want if you're fitting parts or troubleshooting a problem. If you're a BIG 1911 fan, having both books isn't a bad thing...

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got the kunhausen manual years ago and it is the bomb! Didn't know it had gone up to like 43bucks on BrownellsTho.but still worth it. Every bit worth it. Saved more money in knowledge than i blew in parts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't have his 1911 book but do have his Mauser book. If you want to know how to do it right get his books. They may seem expensive but they will save you time and money by keeping you from making costly mistakes.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You bet, those are good books, sadly during Irene some roofing came off the reloading room ruining lots of stuff, including about 30 years worth of Rifleman, reloading books,old ammo box's, critter mounts and early military manuals mostly. That sucked.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.