Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Kel-Tech PMR-30

  1. #1
    Gunco Member BackAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Kel-Tech PMR-30

    Does anyone have any information on this pistol? It seems it had somewhat of a checkered history reliability wise when it first came out and I wondered if they had fixed it since then. I can honestly say I have never seen one in a gun store so I haven't ever been able to handle one. The idea of being able to carry 31 rounds in the pistol when it is loaded seems very cool to me.

    Thanks for any info you can supply.

  2. #2
    Gunco Good ole boy kernelkrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,054
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Early ones had issues, they replaced bbls with a new style and that supposedly fixed a lot of the issues they were having. Mags have to be carefully loaded or they jam. They have promised a carbine version using the same mags, so far vaporware and probably will be for a while. KelTec everything is hard to find, they have a high demand and apparently limited production capacity.

    People who have them seem to like them, except for the issues of them jamming and blowing up in the early production. Very light weight, and very loud! There is one at a local gunshop here, probably will be for a while as he has $900 on it. "Street price" based on their MSRP should be in the $350 range, doubt if you will see even MSRP for a few years.

  3. #3
    Gunco Member BackAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Thanks kernelkrink,

    To me the msrp and the magazine capacity made it attractive. A price of $900 destroys that idea. I guess I will wait and see if the price comes down.

  4. #4
    aka: SDK1968 dutigaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,106
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

    Default

    just like KK said.. some of the early ones had issues, which they fixed free of charge...

    ive got a really recent batch gun & it runs perfect.

    its known as a "poor mans 5.7"... but as a guy who carries a 5.7.. i can tell you this is NOT true. its a 22mag & thats that. they are nowhere close to the 5.7.

    is the PMR a great little high cap carry gun? hell yes.

    & if you look around hard enough you can find them for less than $500.
    say what you mean & mean what you say


  5. #5
    Gunco Member BackAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    just like KK said.. some of the early ones had issues, which they fixed free of charge...

    ive got a really recent batch gun & it runs perfect.

    its known as a "poor mans 5.7"... but as a guy who carries a 5.7.. i can tell you this is NOT true. its a 22mag & thats that. they are nowhere close to the 5.7.

    is the PMR a great little high cap carry gun? hell yes.

    & if you look around hard enough you can find them for less than $500.
    So you like it and would buy it again? I kind of wondered how it would work for my wife and her daughters as a home self defense gun. I looked at the power of the .22 magnum round, added to 31 shots without reloading and thought that seems like a great choice.

  6. #6
    Gunco Veteran hunter_02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,425
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Just one thing to keep in mind BA. I have .22mags in everything from a derringer to a 28" barreled Contender. A .22mag in anything less than a 10" barrel is just a very loud .22lr.
    My two cents.
    Hunter

  7. #7
    Gunco Member BackAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    Just one thing to keep in mind BA. I have .22mags in everything from a derringer to a 28" barreled Contender. A .22mag in anything less than a 10" barrel is just a very loud .22lr.
    My two cents.
    Hunter
    Okay, I may sound ignorant here but here goes anyways! Is your point that any barrel length less than 10 inches negates the effectiveness of this round?

  8. #8
    aka: SDK1968 dutigaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,106
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

    Default

    kinda.... but not really... LMAO


    its a touch bit bigger diam even thought its called a .22

    its got more oomph even in the shorter barrel

    its got more kick....

    it does more damage on clay, gel & milk jug tests at same distance as 22lr

    its a good bit more powder that your not taking advantage of in a short barrel...

    its the same 40grn weight (thats all i shoot)

    would i buy it again? oh hell yes.

    lightweight, super carry friendly.. lots of rounds.. ammo is cheap and available.
    say what you mean & mean what you say


  9. #9
    Gunco Member BackAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    126
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    kinda.... but not really... LMAO


    its a touch bit bigger diam even thought its called a .22

    its got more oomph even in the shorter barrel

    its got more kick....

    it does more damage on clay, gel & milk jug tests at same distance as 22lr

    its a good bit more powder that your not taking advantage of in a short barrel...

    its the same 40grn weight (thats all i shoot)

    would i buy it again? oh hell yes.

    lightweight, super carry friendly.. lots of rounds.. ammo is cheap and available.
    Thanks, I think if I can find one for a decent price I will purchase it.

  10. #10
    Gunco Veteran hunter_02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,425
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    ...........3" bar......................10" bar......................18" bar

    22mag 1150fps/117lbs.........1800fps/288lbs............2000fps/355lbs

    22lr ....950fps/80lbs.............1150fps/117lbs...........1200fps/128lbs

    CCI MiniMag 40gr VS CCI MaxiMag 40gr
    Look at the difference between 22mag in a 3" barrel annd 22lr in a 10" barrel.
    I stand by my prior post. In anything less than a 10" barrel, a .22mag is a very loud (and expensive) .22lr.
    Hunter
    check out <ballisticsbytheinch.com> very interesting. Take 2" off a .223 barrel (18" down to 16") and you turn a definite white-tail killer(almost 1200lbs) into a marginal gun(a little over 1000lbs)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •