Thread: Interesting Old Russian Pistol Round 5.45x17

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default Interesting Old Russian Pistol Round 5.45x17

I'd never heard of it until today. Kind of reminds me of the 5.7 round.

Small-caliber pistol ammunition

The last development, which could be considered as a “special purpose”, took the place during 1970 – 1972 timeframe, when the KGB requested the development of an “easily concealable pocket pistol, with flat shape and not thicker than a matchbox (17mm)”. This pistol was intended as a concealed carry weapon for security personnel, as well as self-defense weapon for top ranked officials. After a short research designers rejected available western “pocket-gun” ammunition, such as 6.35x16SR and 7.65x17SR, as entirely unsatisfactory, and rapidly developed a small round, which looked more or less like scaled down 7.62x39 M43 cartridge. The 5.45x18 MPTs cartridge had a rimless bottlenecked case, made of brass, with pointed jacketed bullet. The terminal performance of this tiny cartridge is rather unspectacular, but it has a reputation for penetrating soft body armor at shorter distances. However, it is by no means an “armor piercing” ammunition, and the latter attempts to use it for larger PDW-type weapons such as full-size OTs-23 “Drotik” automatic pistol, turned into a predictable failure. Still, the extremely compact and quite reliable 5.45x18 PSM pistol is widely used as a self-defense weapon for Army and MVD generals, as well as by various law enforcement operatives, working under cover.
    cartridge metric designation bullet weight muzzle velocity
    7N7 / 5.45mm MPTs 5.45x17 2.5 g / 39 grain 320 m/s / 1050 fps
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Never heard of it either.
    Reminds me of that 223 round that fits in a 9mm mag
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

The first time I read about this round was in one of the SEGMC journals ,the East Germans used it .
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Never heard of it either.
    Reminds me of that 223 round that fits in a 9mm mag
    Thats what I say, Russian 22TCM round look alike
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score

The ballistics look a lot like the .22 Epperson Cricket.

I wouldn't mind having a carbine chambered for the 5.45x17. It would make a nice small-game round similar to the Cricket. Reloading when rimfire is scarce is a nice option.

Josh

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.