Gunco Forums banner

New Production Sub $300 Handguns

16K views 93 replies 14 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
CZ 999 (Zastava Serbia)

Seems a few decent quality sub $300 handguns are on the market now. Recently I picked up a CZ999 for $260 out the door. These are Serbian handguns not the Czech guns as the CZ may suggest.

I put out a target put the gale force winds kept whipping the target around. Did shoot a few rounds from about 30 feet. Not too bad given the conditions. I took some time for fun shooting at a few soda cans laying about. Fairly accurate with the rapid firing.

The fit (ergonomics) is very nice even with my big paws. I wasn't sure of how the trigger would feel but the travel was a bit long while it has a nice break. Actually it was a little bit light break overall. Took a few rounds to get to where I could judge the trigger reset. For me it is a little more comfortable to shoot than my Glocks.

Very happy with the purchase. Better than expected for a sub $300 handgun. Looks like it's a keeper.

See less See more
#66 ·
I got a few minutes this morning to go out back and try a few shots through it. First I tried some Winchester white box 115 grain FMJ, worked 100% with those. Then I tried some handloaded 115 grain XTP JHP I had loaded a while back on once fired cases. They fed, but the slide did not go fully into battery and they came out hard. This must have a really tight chamber as every one of my other 9mms has no problem seating them into the chamber. No visible bulge at the base but apparently it's enough to make this one choke. Great for a target pistol for accuracy, not so good for a defensive pistol for reliability. Also not good for cheap practice with reloads...

One other quirk, the slide closes on it's own when you slap a magazine in. I don't slam my magazines as hard as I can but I do shove them in firmly to ensure they are seated. It doesn't take much to dislodge the slide from the slide stop. Plus or minus depending on how you feel about a reload with automatic chambering versus controlling it.

Magazines definitely could use a loader tool! Some go in fine, but some feel like they are jamming the column a bit and takes a lot of effort to push down. Fully loaded it takes a whack on the mag base to get it to seat with the slide closed. Nothing unusual here, just reporting it.

Accuracy was not the greatest but I blame a lot of that on me. I shot it first thing this morning before I ate or had my first dose of Mountain Dew. The front sight was a bit wobbly! At about 7 yards I was getting 4-5 inch groups, but they were roughly clustered around the aiming point so the sights are pretty much on target, at least on my example. I have no doubt I can do a lot better once the caffeine kicks in! Hickok 45 finally released a vid on these a few days ago and he was consistently hitting so I blame me not the gun. And as he noticed, this thing recoils very soft, so if you are recoil sensitive you will enjoy shooting this gun.

[video=youtube;xN8uNu-86ps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN8uNu-86ps[/video]

With shipping, transfer fee, and after the rebate this will cost me $237 out the door. Even with it's little quirks and QC issues, it is probably worth getting at that price point. That's encroaching on HiPoint's MSRP, and you get a modern striker fired steel slide hi cap pistol with extra magazine. Extra mags right now at PSA, on sale, are about the same as a Hipoint at $15. Lifetime warranty for the original purchaser too. So yeah, if you try one on at your local gunshop and it feels OK in your hand (and can get a deal like this on it) I'd say you should go for it. At full MSRP or slightly South of $400 normal "street price", I'd probably pass.

#67 ·
Cabelas is running a sale on the Taurus PT111 for $200 again. And this guy on Ebay is selling $100 gift cards for $88.

$100 Cabela's Gift Card For Only $88 - FREE Mail Delivery | eBay

I have gotten his cards before, they are legit and take about 3 days to get here (IN) from IL. Buy 2 $100 cards for $176 and you can get this gun for a pretty nice discount. If you have a Cabelas nearby. Also includes a free 1 year NRA membership, which includes a subscription to their magazine as well.

These are really nice little pistols, and for Hi-Point money too! I dunno how long the sale will last, they usually go at least 2 weeks or more and end on a Thursday.

Taurus Millennium® G2 Pistols : Cabela's

#69 ·
Cabelas is running a sale on the Taurus PT111 for $200 again. And this guy on Ebay is selling $100 gift cards for $88.

$100 Cabela's Gift Card For Only $88 - FREE Mail Delivery | eBay

I have gotten his cards before, they are legit and take about 3 days to get here (IN) from IL. Buy 2 $100 cards for $176 and you can get this gun for a pretty nice discount. If you have a Cabelas nearby. Also includes a free 1 year NRA membership, which includes a subscription to their magazine as well.

These are really nice little pistols, and for Hi-Point money too! I dunno how long the sale will last, they usually go at least 2 weeks or more and end on a Thursday.

Taurus Millennium® G2 Pistols : Cabela's
Kernel you really hit the price point. Congratulations sir.About time people get the relative idea.Manufacturing costs vs purchase price. Kudos.

#70 ·
Possibly the deal of the decade, maybe even the century!!!

Anyone want a Smith Model 642 Airweight for less than $200?

Cabelas currently has the S&W model 642 w/internal lock on sale for $300.

Smith & Wesson® J-Frame Centerfire Revolvers : Cabela's

SVM gift cards on Ebay currently has Cabelas $100 gift cards on sale for $82.

$100 Cabela's Gift Card For Only $82!! - FREE Mail Delivery | eBay

Buy 3 gift cards, get the S&W for $246! But wait, it get's even better! You also get $50 in Cabelas Bucks to spend on your next order. So the actual cost is only $196. For a J frame Smith. Buy the gun online, spend the Cabelas Bucks on a holster, ammo, speedloaders, or? when you go pick it up.

Great deal, a S&W for around what a Taurus runs these days. Just don't wait to jump on this deal, SVM usually sells out the gift cards within a day. They do run these deals regularly though, it pays to check every day if you need some. It takes a few days to get the cards in the mail too, and it looks like the cabelas bucks deal expires the 11th.

#74 ·
Picked up the 642 at Cabelas today, damn they were busy! They even sold a Century C308 to the guy in line ahead of me.

Picked up the gun, a set of Bianchi speed strips, and a box each of Winchester PDX1 +P and Hornady Critical Defense light.

First impressions are the monkeys assembling it need to learn how to use a screwdriver! The front screw on the sideplate is mangled from a too-narrow scredriver camming out, the one behind the trigger is just barely showing the same mark. Slight burr at the top of the frame on the sideplate seam too, a fingernail can almost remove it. Otherwise, first class machining and finishing work.

Has a set of S&W logo rubber grips on it, apparently patterned after Craig Spegel's "boot grips". Unlike the Uncle Mike's version of long ago, these lack any real texture to them. The "checkered" panels are merely slightly raised oblong dots that barely do anything. The shape is excellent though, although it points high in my hands. Every time I point it at a target and then look at the sights, the muzzle is tilted up so far the base of the front sight is what the rear notch is aligned with. Not good, but I'm not known for match grade accuracy with a J frame anyway...

Hopefully get to shoot it tomorrow, got the Hornady CD Lite in case the +P stuff is a little too much recoil. Empty, it weighs less than a pound. Trigger pull, OTOH, is obviously set by their liability insurance lawyer. I'd estimate it somewhere around 20 lbs! Some new springs are on the way, should be less than $20 to get that trigger light and smooth. And I have a feeling the stupid internal lock is gonna get "lost" while it's apart...

#76 ·
Dad must have got one on the good day of assembly. I did the Wolf Springs and lightly polished the flats of the hammer and trigger. Usual stuff. Only thing I might change is to switch to a set of Spegel grips.
Have you tried using the thumb on the backstrap?
Haven't shot enough of them yet to recommend but i'm liking the Ruger ARX 38sp so far for summer time carry.

#78 ·
Still haven't gotten to shoot the Smith yet, the Wilson spring kit and some light polishing probably halved the trigger pull. About 10-12 lbs now on my finely calibrated trigger finger... threw in a Power Custom extended length firing pin too. MIM parts inside, not much I could do about the smoothness. Smith quality has went way down, I'd almost rather have an older Taurus 85 than a new Smith...

Once I verify the lighter hammer spring is still reliable (or put the stock one back in if it is not) it will probably spend most of it's life in my coat pocket. With the concealed hammer it's perfect for firing from inside a pocket, just gotta remember to pat out the burning cloth afterwards...

#77 ·
Looks like the Remington RP9 is a slow seller, two places have it on sale for less than $200 delivered with Remington $100 rebate! It has some quirks, but my example does function well and with factory ammo it has had no issues. Where else ya gonna get a modern striker fired 18 shot 9mm for little more than a Hi-Point? If I had the cash to spare right now I'd spring for another one.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/Vie...&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Rebate Roundup

https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-rp9-9mm.html#.WfpOHdQrJkg

Comes with 2 magazines, PSA still has extras on sale for $15. Free ship for 5+ mags!

Remington RP9 9mm Magazine, 18 Round Capacity ? RT17743F

#80 ·
Gave the Taurus to one son and the Charter Arms to one. The other son got got the M64 with the bobbed hammer and converted to round butt configuration.
That one took a bit to clean up. Bought from a VSP officer,retired.

#84 ·
New round of rebates from Remington, $100 off their handguns.

PSA has the RP9 for $170 after rebate, this pkg includes 2 18 rd magazines AND 2 10 rd ones. Maybe you could sell the 10s to a ban state fellow and get the regular ones?

Remington RP9 9mm Pistol, Two 10rd Mags/ Two 17rd Mags ? 96476

They also have the RM380 at an incredible $100 after rebate!

Remington RM380 .380 ACP Pistol, Black - 96454

And Rural King has the R51 for $180 after rebate.

https://www.rkguns.com/remington-r51-9mm-luger-p-subcompact-pistol-96430.html

#85 ·
I guess it's different in these days but all I'm looking for,in stock,is around the line of a single action revolver in 45LC.
Basic 4 3/4" fixed site revolver.
Not on the shelf of any local funshop. Just a basic farm pistol. Should be simple to find. Right?

#87 ·
A little update. Finally got a free weekend and did some more shooting with my latest purchases. The S&W 642 is shooting a bit left but otherwise goes bang every time. As expected.

The Remington RP9 has apparently "worn in" as the right side slide release now works 100% in releasing the slide. I guess roughness from machining the notch in the slide or stamping the release was hanging up until it smoothed out. I went ahead and swapped the mag release to the "left hander" side as I find using my trigger finger to release mags is more efficient than moving the gun around to reach it with my thumb. Had one failure to return to battery, easily solved with a whack on the slide. Rest fed and shot fine, factory only though as I haven't had a chance to run my reloads through the LEE Bulge Buster die yet. Only negative I've noticed so far is a slight peening on the forward edge of the chamber top where it locks into the slide. Doesn't appear to be getting worse, I have a feeling breaking the edge on both surfaces with a small file will solve the issue and remove the peened metal.

Overall, I am pleased with both my $200 handguns. Great bargain at that price point, but for full MSRP or near I'd still pass though. Minor annoyances and QC issues you don't mind fixing at less than half price, if I paid full asking retail everything better be damn perfect.

#89 ·
Time to bring this thread back to life, especially considering all the good low priced guns we've been offered lately. Heck, you can almost build an AR15 "handgun" for $300 these days.

Just got in 2 new handguns, a Remington R51 and an S&W M&P 2.0 compact.

The R51 was a Rural King Black Friday special, $200 and it came with an extra extra magazine (3 total). Ordered it on RKGUNS.com Dec 3rd, finally arrived at my local store last of January! They said the holdup was no extra mags yet and they couldn't ship until they came in. 3 days after that call, it was at the store, so who knows? I was gonna pass when I first saw the ad, then CDNN had the Crimson Trace Laserguard (MSRP $240) for $29.99 and I found a spare magazine on Ebay for about $14. Crap, might as well roll the dice as these have a "mixed" reliability rep even with the revamped post-recall version 2.

Laserguard install is simply put battery in place and snap both sides around the triggerguard. Install 2 VERY tiny screws and you are ready to sight in. Grip feels good, in my hand at least, but the damn grip safety is something I have to consciously depress. A normal grip, for me anyway, sometimes fails to disengage it. Needs something like a "Memory Hump" on an Ed Brown 1911 grip safety. Mag release requires a good press to release as well, almost have to go below flush. Otherwise it's fine, although the trigger pull is definitely unique.

The S&W was also from RK, a little over budget @ $310 but if you allow for inflation... Plus one heck of a deal, the MSRP is almost $650! Unusual to see the night sight model for less than $450 "street price".

https://www.rkguns.com/smith-wesson...15rd-4-pistol-tritium-night-sights-11677.html

This one came with 3 15rd mags, 2 spacer sleeves to allow full size 17rd magazines to fit and convert the grip to the full size version, and factory night sights. Also 4 backstraps, I found the smallest feels the best and makes it point best for me. Thumb safety that works in the correct manner (down is fire!) and is easy to sweep off, also ambidextrous as is the slide release. Mag release button is reversible as well. Mags are salty at around $30 though. I'm hoping for a couple used 17rd police trade ins to show up at AIM or somewhere in the sub $15 range. Also difficult to load, even with a MAGLULA the column seemed to jam a few times before releasing and allowing the top round to be depressed. Hopefully it doesn't cause feed issues, or wears in quick if it does.

Came in a fitted foam lined plastic case, the last few S&Ws I got in this price range had cardboard boxes. The R51 had a fitted foam lined cardboard box. Holsters for an R51 with laserguard are few, but M&P holsters abound. Midway is shipping me a $10.33 M&P paddle holster next week.

If the weather cooperates I am going to test fire both of them this weekend. Grabbed 150 rds of TulAmmo 9mm while I was at RK, I figure if they will work with that they should work with anything! Too muddy to be retrieving brass cases!

I expect no issues out of the S&W, the Remington might. Seems it's luck of the draw whether they work right out of the box or need a few return trips to NC.

#90 ·
Well, the weather didn't cooperate (freezing drizzle) but I did a quick function testfire anyway. As expected, the M&P went bang every time and was rather low on recoil. The R51 was jamming a few times with failures to feed, but surprisingly the issue was the magazines, not the gun. When the mag did it's job, the gun cycled perfectly. Guess I got one of the good ones, yay! Recoil is a bit snappy though, small gun and all.

The mags OTOH, seem designed to not work with FMJ ammo! At the front of the mag is a little tab bent inward. According to the various owners groups online, this is supposed to force the second round in the mag back against the rear of the mag as it rises. What it actually does is catch the nose of the FMJ and instead of pushing it back it stops it cold! Now you have a nose dive without the slide ever hitting the top round, it even happens when you manually push a round out to unload a mag. Even folks with shorter JHPs report the same issue. Will probably try bending one straight and see what happens.

So, M&P good to go out of the box, R51 needs some mag tuning at least. Otherwise the gun itself was working fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.