Gunco Forums banner

New Production Sub $300 Handguns

16K views 93 replies 14 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
CZ 999 (Zastava Serbia)

Seems a few decent quality sub $300 handguns are on the market now. Recently I picked up a CZ999 for $260 out the door. These are Serbian handguns not the Czech guns as the CZ may suggest.

I put out a target put the gale force winds kept whipping the target around. Did shoot a few rounds from about 30 feet. Not too bad given the conditions. I took some time for fun shooting at a few soda cans laying about. Fairly accurate with the rapid firing.

The fit (ergonomics) is very nice even with my big paws. I wasn't sure of how the trigger would feel but the travel was a bit long while it has a nice break. Actually it was a little bit light break overall. Took a few rounds to get to where I could judge the trigger reset. For me it is a little more comfortable to shoot than my Glocks.

Very happy with the purchase. Better than expected for a sub $300 handgun. Looks like it's a keeper.

See less See more
#2 ·
New Production Sub $300 Handguns - SAR B6P Compact (EAA Turkey)

SAR B6P Compact (EAA Turkey)

Nice handgun. Feels great in the hand but haven't had a chance to go out and give it trial run. I notice that the mag release is a little tight but should loosen up with use over time. I dry fired with "snap caps" and the trigger pull is a little long in DA but with a crisp break. Looks good as well. Cost was about $240 from Sportsman's Guide (with the membership and SG VISA discount).

I bought a couple full size mags (17 rd) and got a couple rubber spacers so they fit flush. The spacers are actually for the Tanfolio handgun but they work here, I just wrapped a little electrical tapes around the base where the spacers fit and now they are snug.

#3 ·
I like the looks of the Turkish pistol better. Might be weird but I've had a few pistols fall out of my mexican carry method due to slide/barrel length vs.frame size. If only i'd kept that Star PD...

#4 ·
I ordered the SAR B6P Full Size pistol as well. Should ship in a week or two. Bought it from Sportsman's Guide for around $240 shipped (same deal as above). Of course they sold out quick and none are listed in stock. Looks like they must be rather popular.

#7 ·
Damn skippy!!!! I love CZ based pistols.

BB, thanks for the updates. Isn't the CZ999 loosely based on the Sig?

The SAR is a nice looking pistol. I assume the weight is fairly low being a polymer frame?

#10 ·
SAR B6P (EAA Turkey)

Just picked up my full size 9mm EAA SAR B6P handgun. It is a CZ75 clone that costs around $240 plus plus transfer fee. Not bad for what is essentially a CZ75 made in Turkey.

I will keep looking over decent sub $300 guns.

#12 ·
I saw it and looks like a good deal for what it is. The trigger is a bit long and heavy - reminds me of the KelTec pistols. Haven't actually shot it so I would like to read a few reviews from others. I know that Taurus is under new management and supposedly quality has improved quite a bit.

#15 ·
Alien Gear Holster

I found an Alien Gear holster that fits my SAR B6P pistol. I got the Tanfoglio Witness holster and it fits perfectly.

May see about getting one for the compact as well.

Reactions: 2ndAmendican
#18 ·
I'm really liking that setup. Have you worn it yet? I wonder how comfortable it is?

#22 ·
Today I added a Taurus PT111 to the stable for $225 after the $50 rebate. I know that they are under new management and have decent reviews. I notice it has a long pull on the trigger but the break isn't bad. Will have to run it in the next couple weeks.

#23 ·
I fondled one of those at Rural King over the weekend, couldn't try the trigger as they all have a trigger lock on the display models. Felt pretty good in the hand though. I'd be very interested in the accuracy, a Co-Worker had one a while back and he said he couldn't hit with it. Of course I don't know how well he shoots so the gun may be good enough for headshots at 100 yards...

I have heard SIG P226 mags work in these, they just stick out a bit.

#24 ·
#26 ·
Dunno if this is really a "handgun" in the traditional sense, but what the heck!

Just picked up a Ruger Charger at Rural King, $193 after 12% rebate from their store. The plastic stock model, it uses a standard AR15 grip so the grip can be swapped out if wanted. Comes with a nice Ruger logo soft case with external pocket, 1 15rd BX15 magazine, a threaded bbl with thread protector, and a UTG bipod and sling swivel mounting adapter. Range I might put the bipod on for bench resting, but it's too bulky for carrying it.

The case is more like a large "gun rug" type case, no handles or attach points for a strap to carry it with. Factory mounted Picatinny rail on the receiver, no sights. I slapped a Bushnell TRS25 on it just to try it out, a few twists to get the elevation set and it chewed a ragged hole in an old burn bbl I had in the back yard. May put a Hogue grip on it, trigger is actually not bad, but will probably work some gunsmith voodoo on it. Hey, it's a short bbl 10/22 without a stock, so of course it's good! Now if I could only afford the tax to put a proper muzzle attachment on it... but I will settle for a Ruger flash suppressor.

Deal good until next Saturday, if they don't sell out. Check out all the ad pages, they have several sub-$300 handguns listed. They also have an online gun sale site, RKGUNS.COM but they are out of stock on the Charger.

charger deal

Rectangle Grey Font Sleeve Logo
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Machine gun

#29 ·
I've got one of the wood stock versions I got not long after they first came out with them and believe it or not with just a cheapo 4X NC Star pistol scope and just using Remington Golden Bullets (which aren't anything special) I can consistently smash clay pigeons at 200 yards with it without really trying hard.

Anything @ 100 is child's play and I can hit empty shotgun shells about 3/4 of the time with no issues at all with it. Mine's an awesome shooter and all I've seen or heard about shoot very well too.
Mine did not have the plastic stock or threaded barrel though and WAS quit a bit more $$$ but IMHO they look much better than the plastic stocked ones and to me they feel much much better in the hand too. Myself I don't care for the plastic stocked version,,but they are WAY cheaper, by over a hundred bucks or more most places I've seen them.

It really isn't much good for anything more than a bench gun or back yard plinker IMHO, there very bulky even though it will fit in a shoulder holster I have for my scoped .41 mag 8 3/4" S&W. I know someone that put a sling swivel stud on the bottom of the butt and he use's a single point sling, that's the only way I've seen to really carry one half way decently. It don't really fit my S&W holster all that well, but does sorta work,,,

I've defiantly smoked a ton of squirrels and crows with mine so far though. No problem with accuracy and they shoot just as well as any 10/22 rifle I've ever shot, and generally better than most standard light barrel models I've shot actually,especially way out yonder. I'd have never thought in a million years I'd be able to shoot clay's with it at 200, but after hitting 3 in a row the very first time I tried, I'm convinced it can do it ! I've smoked lots of crows at that range with it too and love it for the truck when I'm cruising the back roads early season scouting.

There pretty neat actually in many respects, but I'm not really sure I'd buy another? But only because there's really no ranges left around here to be able to use it to it's full potential. With a decent scope and match ammo I'm sure it would be much more deadly though even though it eats just about anything you put through it and shoots it quite consistently, even with crap ammo. Even with the balance of the crap Thunderbolt ammo I had left kicking around it shoots amazingly well. With CCI's it's crazy accurate.

#30 ·
Well, I finally bought the PT111 from PSA on their $200 deal, $232 with shipping and transfer. Haven't had a free minute to shoot it yet, but made an interesting discovery! I have an EAA Witness P, which is a CZ75 derivative. The EAA 17rd mags fit in the Taurus, and hand cycled anyway, they feed Critical Defense HPs just fine. They even lock the slide back, when there is still a single round left in the mag. They stick out of course, but they are at least $13 cheaper and hold 5 more rounds. Well, 4 usable rds... Most of the CZs and Tanfoglio or SAR derivatives use interchangeable magazines, the main fit issues are the length of their grips sometimes keep a different brand mag from locking in. Not an issue with full size mags in a short frame.

Hey Black Blade, wanna try your SAR mags in your Taurus? I'm thinking the compact model mags might just fit flush!

#32 ·
Just verified the EAA/Tanfoglio Witness P "small frame" mags fit and function fine under live fire. Put two magfuls through it, all fed fine except for leaving the last round in the magazine. I can live with that, since I already have 4 spares that now work in 2 different guns. 16 feedable rounds versus 12 too.

#33 ·
I added a couple Sig 226 mags (17 round). Used a piece of velcro tape to snug the mags into the spacers. Works great in the PT111 handgun.

Picked up a "cheap" Alien IWB holster - perfect fit.

#35 ·
Been wearing this set up for a few weeks now - quite comfortable. I like these Alien Holsters quite a bit. I would say they are almost as good as my Minotaur MTAC holster I wear with my Glocks. They had (or maybe still have) a two-for-one sale and the shells swap out of other handguns.

#36 ·
Just picked up a S&W SD9 VE pistol at Rural King for $279 after rebate. Dirt simple inside, trigger is kinda heavy but doesn't seem too bad. $20 for a spring kit from Apex is supposed to drop 2 lbs or so off, might go that route. Came with 2 16 rd magazines. Actually feels pretty good in the hand and points well. Haven't fired it yet, waiting for the damn groundhog to get Spring started early this year!

Don't like their older 39/59 based guns but this one looks like maybe S&W has finally figured out how to make a decent auto. They are still King of Revolvers, but their older autos sucked.

Amazing what they can produce nowadays for less than $300, makes ya wonder why Glocks cost another $200+...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.