Gunco Forums banner

California members: what does this really mean for you?

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  flyman 
#1 ·
read this earlier... but not sure how much it really affects you guys:

[h=1]Gun control: California Senate passes sweeping new restrictions on firearms owners[/h]By Jessica Calefati

jcalefati@bayareanewsgroup.com
[FONT=&quot]POSTED: 05/19/2016 10:28:26 AM PDT | UPDATED: ABOUT 3 HOURS AGO

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]State Sen. Isadore Hall III, D-Compton, left, gives a thumbs up as the "bullet button" bill he and Sen. Steven Glazer,D-Orinda, right, authored was approved by the Senate, May 19, 2016. (Rich Pedroncelli / AP)[/FONT]

RELATED STORIES

SACRAMENTO -- Quickly moving from one bill to the next, the California Senate on Thursday approved a package of sweeping gun-control measures, setting up a showdown featuring top Democrats over how best to tackle one of the year's most incendiary issues.

The Senate approved legislation to regulate the sale of ammunition, close several loopholes in the state's assault-weapons ban and establish a Firearm Violence Research Center at the University of California -- all over the objections of outnumbered Republican lawmakers.

Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, said he wants to use Thursday's votes to create enough momentum to carry the bills through the Assembly and to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk as soon as next week. Swift success, he hopes, will convince Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom to yank his gun control initiative from the November ballot.

But none of that will be easy. Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, D-Paramount, has not yet endorsed de León's strategy. And Brown's position on the proposals -- some of which he has vetoed before -- remains unclear. On top of that, Newsom, who hopes the issue will propel his 2018 gubernatorial campaign, has vowed not to pull his measure from the ballot no matter what lawmakers do.

This year, sponsors of initiatives for the first time can choose to yank them from the ballot if the Legislature takes action and they're satisfied with the results.

De León and many other Democratic lawmakers argue that the bills passed by the Senate on Thursday are remarkably similar to the provisions in the ballot measure Newsom is championing.
[FONT=&quot]Advertisement

Speaking to reporters after the votes, De León thanked Newsom for "keeping gun control on the front-burner" and inspiring the Legislature to act. But citing concerns that Newsom's measure could fail, he insisted the Capitol is the best place to craft tighter rules for gun owners -- not the ballot box.

"Given the complexity of firearms policy, I believe the legislative process is the most responsible path forward," said de León, who hasn't spoken with Newsom in several weeks. "We owe it the voters to tackle tough issues and not force them to do our jobs for us."A Newsom spokesman on Thursday did not respond to a request for comment on the Senate's action.
"It's too soon to know how it will all shake out," said John Donohue III, a Stanford law professor who is an expert on gun politics.
The 11 bills the Senate approved Thursday include some the upper house vetted in policy committee hearings along with others that, until a few days ago, looked like totally different pieces of legislation on unrelated topics. That was before the proposals were "gutted and amended" -- a maneuver lawmakers use to craft new bills once legislative deadlines for new bills have passed.
Legislation authored by de León in 2009 regulated the sale of ammunition, but a judge later ruled that its definition of ammunition was too vague to enforce.
De León's Senate Bill 1235 and Assembly Bill 156, authored by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, seek to remedy the problem by defining ammunition as "one or more loaded cartridges consisting of a primer case, propellant and with one or more projectiles."
The Senate approved both measures on a 24-15 vote despite Republican protests that the bills and other pieces of the package trample on Californians' Second Amendment rights, create more red tape for law-abiding gun owners and will do little to reduce violent crime.
Senate Republican leader Jean Fuller, R-Bakersfield, criticized Democrats for seeking new firearms rules before the state has fully implemented a law on the books that instructs the attorney general to seize guns from people, such as felons and the mentally ill, who are prohibited from owning them.
The state "invested millions of taxpayers' dollars for Attorney General Kamala Harris to remove illegal guns off the streets, but Harris' office has failed to do so," Fuller said. "We should be focusing on criminal activity and taking illegal guns off our streets."
Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade group for the firearms industry, released a statement after the votes raising similar concerns: "Law abiding, responsible California gun owners and firearm retailers were the ones truly hurt by today's actions," he said.
Other measures the Senate passed include SB 880, authored by Sens. Isadore Hall, D-South Bay, and Steve Glazer, D-Walnut Creek, and Assembly Bill 1135, authored by Assemblymen Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco. The measures seek to modify the assault weapons ban to effectively prohibit "bullet buttons."
Aiming to work around current law, which bans long-guns with detachable magazines, firearms manufacturers began selling "California compliant" assault weapons with recessed buttons that allow users to instantly detach a magazine by pressing it with the tip of a bullet or another small tool. The Senate approved these measures on a 24-14 vote.
SB 1446, authored by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, seeks to make another revision to the state's assault weapons ban by restricting possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. California's 1999 update of the quarter-century-old assault weapons law only banned the importation, manufacture and sale of large-capacity magazines. The Hancock measure was approved on a 22-15 vote.
Sen. Jeff Stone, R-Riverside, who spoke out against almost every gun bill the Senate considered Thursday, called SB 1446 especially "egregious" because it allows for "the incremental beginning" of the government's ability to confiscate weapons.
Starting July 1, 2017, the bill would require owners of magazines of more than 10 pounds to sell them, move them out of state or turn them in.
"I'm going to quote Adolf Hitler," he said, to gasps in the Senate chamber. "To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens."
Contact Jessica Calefati at 916-441-2101. Follow her at Twitter.com/Calefati.
GUN BILLS PASSED BY SENATE

Senate Bill 1235, authored by Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, and Assembly Bill 156, written by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, would regulate the sale of ammunition.
SB 880, authored by Sens. Isadore Hall, D-South Bay, and Steve Glazer, D-Walnut Creek, and AB 1135, authored by Assemblymen Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, would effectively prohibit "bullet buttons" that make it easy to detach magazines.
SB 1446, would restrict possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's authored by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley.
SB 1407, authored by de León, and AB 857, authored by Assemblyman Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, aim to eliminate the proliferation of so-called "ghost guns," which are manufactured at home and don't carry serial numbers.
SB 894, authored by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara, requires the reporting of a lost or stolen gun within five days.
AB 1176, authored by Cooper, repeals a provision of 2014's Proposition 47 and reverts gun theft and buying a stolen gun, regardless of value, to a felony and "wobbler," respectively.
AB 1511, authored by Assemblyman Miguel Santiago, D-Los Angeles, limits the lending of guns to family members who have not completed background checks.
SB 1006, authored by Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis, establishes a Firearm Violence Research Center at the University of California.
[/FONT]

See less See more
#11 ·
Hasn't officially become law yet, just passed the state senate, next will be the rubber stamp of the assembly, and then to the governors desk... Where he'll veto some and some will pass, it's a sad state of affairs when our only hope is Gov. moonbeams veto..

Did I mention I'm tired of the fight too? I'm tired of writing and calling my reps, tired of signing petitions, tired of other states non sympathy...

Hate this...

#5 ·
From the bill Sean posted.

"Starting July 1, 2017, the bill would require owners of magazines of more than 10 rounds to sell them, move them out of state or turn them in."

Well hell that is good news I just hope MS-13 the Crypts and Bloods get that damn message. Strict gun laws are working great in D.C.. Komifornia should for sure follow their lead.
D.C. is rated at a 3% safer than other cites in the U.S. to not get shot mugged or robbed. Essentially your safer parachuting into Syria unarmed than walking the streets of gun free D.C. at night.

CRIME INDEX for D.C..
(100 is safest)
Washington DC crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Gun control when the sheep are disarmed and the criminals rule the roost.

#7 ·
As far as the high capacity magazine issue in Kali...Just go into your kids room and find whatever super hero doll they aren't playing with anymore, cut the head off the top of the thing and duct tape it to the top of your magazine which you have painted a bright color......

Here is your story....and you have to stick to it.

"Officer,

Those are not high capacity magazines. Those are merely ruggedly constructed, pez dispensers. They are collector items."

If the cops are as stupid as the politicians who wrote that law, they will fall for it. :)

You can show them this photo to support your story.

Product Electric blue Font Fictional character Fashion accessory

I'm still working on the ammo thing. Give me a couple days.

#9 ·
STG,that was funny as f**k!:kewlpics: and in kali highly likely! As long as you had your bullet button mag release. Don't forget to paint your HK in HF orange and tell them it's a bumper jack! It's been done before and worked. I heard.:rofl:

#10 ·
"How much it affects you guys?"

Honestly it affects me big time. The ammo portion is bad, but I've been stock piling for years, and Reno Is only two hours from here, so I can live with that. The parts that are making me sick to my stomach, and making me lose sleep, Are the provisions that turn almost everything I own into assault weapons, which will have to be registered, and either confiscated down the road or will have to die with me, never to be sold or passed on to my children. Also the magazines, I'll be forced to get rid of property I've owned, and inherited from family, for years, with no compensation. The other distressing provision is the serializing of all my home builds, and the fact that I will need permission to build.

Basically I will no longer be able to continue in the hobby I love, no more builds, because once it becomes law, they will not allow 'assault weapons' to be built..

And it's not easy just to pack up and leave, job, family, friends, and the old lady's job, family, and friends. Im stuck between becoming a multi felony felon overnight or losing everything I've known and loved my entire life...

This is the worst I ever seen... It's stressful, and it makes me angry. Yet most people in my normal day to day sphere are apathetic. Me and my lady have even had arguments over this, as I bug here all the time about moving.

I hate it...

#14 ·
Kali,

was hoping you & bellson would have input....

while ive never really understood why people in this hobby would want to be there & why they didnt move...

you guys have always been patient with how you explain things & this truly looks to be a domino affect building block for other states to follow.

so when i read this it kinda struck me as being way way unenforceable unless your neighbors turn you in... but then i remember that you have so many more hoops to jump thru already out there that they probably can track you much better than anywhere else in the US.

please keep us posted on this things progression.

s

#12 ·
Let me clarify, I'm not looking for sympathy. It gets old hearing "just move" or "sucks for you guys" or other snarky quips, the worst is the guys who have left, given up the fight, and then comment (mostly on calguns) or brag how life is so much better no that they've left.

Sorry for the venting...

Hate this

#13 ·
Thank you sir. I believe the thinking members truly understand your frustration and plight.Are you economically able to store and work on your hobby in a state over? It's a sad commentary on what's going on. I/we get it. Hope it works out so you can pursue everything. I appreciate the post.

#15 ·
It's all speculation until it's implemented. Who knows how much would actually be enforceable, but it would be stressful to live with a safe full of felonys. Un-reportable if stolen, un-usable at the range, then you'll have situations where old lady's or disgruntled friends start turning people in... There's small hope for the courts to intercede, but it's all just cause for aggregation and speculation.

So I just prepare for the worst, I'm buying and building semi auto 'assault gun' kits as fast as I can, getting them to the point where they are firearms, not worrying about the fine tuning, or the gun finish. I got/will have dozens of unfinished guns that will be eligible for registering, if I choose to, that I can finish legally once this all happens. Everything else will be stored out of state.

Then eventually I'll move.

#19 ·
I did everything too. FPC, GOA..... I'm also a California indian. This state doesent represent me. It represents a sanctuary city. I have lived on the same block all of my life. I will have to leave my native land. I want my god given rights. But as always, the greedy want what you have. And to gut bills, and input gun control under another name is insanity. Isnt this why we have gun rights in the first place?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.