Tale of the tape

Thread: Tale of the tape

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Tale of the tape

Ok folks I know I've seen it listed somewhere but what are the lengths for legality on a rifle : barrel, with stock folded(collapsed). And where does barrel length get measured? I thought it was at the reciever face to the muzzle. If so it seems there'd be lengthening to be done. Clarification would be great.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

It's my understanding that the only thing that counts now is the barrel length on those firearms which can be fired from the shoulder.

If the barrel were removed and all permantly attached muzzle devices counted, that would be the length.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ok so it's the full length from the chamber to the muzzle or device? I seem to recall it was 16 1/4" barrel , and 26" overall with stock(folded/collapsed) am I recalling correctly? Like I said I was under the understanding that the distance was measured from the reciever face to the muzzle. I thought that many years ago that swedish mauser carbines had to have longer barrels attached to be importable into the US. That being said are 922r compliant rifles exempt and considered AOW's because they are now considered US manufactured? Like I was saying I was throwing the measuring tape around the other night and got concerned.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

To be a "normal" non-NFA rifle it must have at least a 16" bbl and be at least 26" overall length. Shotguns are the same overall length minimum, but the bbl length minimum is 18". BBl length is measured from the breechface of a closed action to the muzzle end. Permanently attached muzzle devices count as bbl length. The normal method of measuring bbl length is to drop a cleaning rod down the bore and mark it at the muzzle end. Remove and measure. Most people like to add at least a 1/4 inch to the minimum length for CYA purposes. If there is a ding in the muzzle or an angle to the cut, the shortest possible point is measured, not the longest. Overall length is measured with the stock extended, folded length is irrelevant under federal law. Some states do regulate folders though.

ALL rifles are subject to these limitations. An AOW is not a rifle. AN AOW can be many things, such as "gadget guns" (gun built into a lighter, flashlight, etc) shotgun pistols, short bbl combo guns, pistol with two handgrips, etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks kernelkrink, that is what I was looking to understand. Where the measures were made. And the clarity of the statements. Thanks.

Feedback Score

About the Swedish Mauser Carbines, the barrels were too short to be legally imported so Interarms welded a short length of tubing to the muzzle to increase the barrel length.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That was kinda before my time I didn't know the particulars, I had read an article about it some time ago and they didn't elaborate on how the situation was resolved.-Bb

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.