Gunco Forums banner

How to get your SBR, Dialogue thread

24K views 152 replies 39 participants last post by  Dirty Harry 
#1 ·
This thread is for talking about your SBR, how to get it and what you did to get yours. Anyone feel free to add comments about the process and pictures if you have an SBR. Let's get everyone on Gunco interested in an SBR.......I am going to close the SBR tutorial to posts so it wont get cluttered up with comments. That way we can add more to it as we get more pertitant info. That way if anyone needs info quick they wont have to wade through stuff they dont need. Please make all the posts and comments you want here.....This is the place the to do it....Welcome to all short barrel people and wannabe's...hehe

#3 ·
SalBO said:
anyone ????
OK....I have a M92 Krink kit that I will most likely SBR...With the help of 7.62x39's and your tutorial it should be a work of art....:thumbup1:

So where do I begin in the BATF SBR process?
Build the gun 1st?
Apply for the SBR tax stamp 1st?
Is it a tax stamp or a certificate?
Do I really need the Chief LEO to sign the form or is only mailed notification that I'm making a SBR good enough?

#5 ·
jjglith said:
OK....I have a M92 Krink kit that I will most likely SBR...With the help of 7.62x39's and your tutorial it should be a work of art....:thumbup1:

So where do I begin in the BATF SBR process?
Build the gun 1st?
Apply for the SBR tax stamp 1st?
Is it a tax stamp or a certificate?
Do I really need the Chief LEO to sign the form or is only mailed notification that I'm making a SBR good enough?

The first thing to do is get the forms filled out. Then get fingerprinted and your CLEO's Signature on the forms. Then mail them in and wait. DO NOT Build the gun until you have the approved tax stamp IN HAND or you will be in violation of the law.......

#7 ·
If going under a LLC the CLEO does, or does not need to be involved? Form 4 transfers do not need CLEO, I think, but I want to build it, Will the same LLC/CLEO rules apply on a Form1? The Tax stamp is always required?

#8 ·
All NFA transfers dealing with a individual (not a Corp/trust/dealer) requires a Leo signage.

Form 1 - You build NFA
Form 3 - Dealer to Dealer transfer (interstate/instate)
From 4 - In state transfers - individual to individual or Deal to individual

Ask away.. I got 3 SBR's and working on a 4th. Thinging of a AOW.
Found some AOW shotguns for $348. transfer tax on those is just $5

#10 ·
I do not believe a corp needs a LEO signature. I would double check that with the ATF on thier help line.....

#13 ·
in NC it is illegal for an "individual" to own or posess an SBR. They are considered a weapon of mass destruction. Im not sure if the LLC route will work but its worth a try......

#15 ·
I just got a couple of approved form 1's for sbr's back from atf this week, 5 weeks start to finish.

I lived in a different county about 15 years ago and couldnt get the local sherrif to sign for anything. I called the atf field office in my area and was told he couldnt refuse to sign unless he had specific knowledge of circumstances that would prevent me from possessing an NFA weapon. I ended up contacting states attorney and circut judge who placed a few calls and amazingly the sherrif signed.

You need to try to get the sherrif to understand that just because he is signing the paperwork doesnt neccesarily mean youre application will be approved. Try to make him understand that you still have to undergo the scrutiny of an FBI and DOJ back ground check.

Thankfully I currently live in the county I grew up in and have known the local sherrif my entire life, really nice guy. Not sure that any of that helps in anybody elses situation other than to say dont give up. Other people further up the chain who have authority in your jurisdiction can also sign

#16 ·
Where I live, the Sheriff, Police Chief, and County Atty got together and arbitrarily decided to stop signing transfers (unless it's for a close friend or law enforcement officer). These same three public servants supported a city wide ban on concealed carry.
Anyway, my question is this - Are there any other individuals on a higher level who may sign a transfer? I live in an "open state" and already have 2 registered firearms but this doesn't seem to matter anymore.

#17 ·
IIRC, in the past ATF has accepted Judges who have jurisdiction in criminal cases and the head of the state police. They used to accept Fed LE and such but stopped a while ago. I would contact your local ATF office and ask for a current list of acceptable people who can sign off.

If you can find a friendly Judge, you might try for a writ of mandamus on the sheriff and chief. Longshot, but might take their elitist attitude down a notch or two if you can pull it off.

Then there is always the corporation route. Incorporate and have the corp own the guns, no signoff needed for a corp.

#18 ·
Is there a different process when you purchase a 100% receiver and turn it into a SBR (like taking off the fake suppressor) as opposed to bending your own receiver for SBR use? I understand you are supposed to write your name on the receiver when you create it, but what about a 100% that you already have?

EDIT:
Silly me, I just ordered the ATF forms and noticed 4a of your tutoarial mentions this.

#19 ·
I have three questions:
1) I want to build an AMD-65 as my first SBR and will be using a nodakspud NDS-65 receiver. On Form 1 in section 4d, do I put "AMD-65" or "NDS-65" as the model?
2) I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to assemble the SBR. Does it have to be assembled within a certain period of time after I receive the stamp?
3) Am I correct in think that sec922 doesn't apply for SBR's? If so can I use the hammer and trigger from my AMD-65 kit along with a foreign made semiauto disconnector?

#20 ·
Bret,
You put the model that is engraved on the receiver........

There is no expiration date on the tax stamp. You can build at your liesure after you get the stamp approved.........

AN SBR is an NFA weapon and therefore has no parts count regulations......

GOOD LUCK WITH IT AND HAVE FUN !

#22 ·
yes, you can use the original hammer, trigger and sear....Just leave the rest out and trash it.....

#25 ·
Does putting a forward grip on a pistol make it a SBR or AOW? I'm thinking an SBR but the more I read, the more confused I got. I knowif it was a smooth bore it would be AOW but rifled and less than 12" I'm not sure.

If I understood the reading of the law, and I very well may not have, you can't have your kit converted to full auto by a licensed maunfacturer because all full autos for individuals had to have been made pre-86 (and registered). Is this correct?

#26 ·
Fed law defines a handgun as having one grip, so two makes it not a handgun.

Fed law also defines a rifle as having a stock (designed to be fired from the shoulder), so a two gripped handgun is not a rifle either.

So what we are left with is a concealable firearm designed to be fired with two hands. This falls under the NFA classification "Any Other Weapon", which is sort of a catchall category that can be several things such as shotgun pistols, gadget guns, pen guns, or a 2 gripped handgun.

You are correct, the government banned production of new machine guns for civillian ownership back in May 1986. Any machine guns made after that time would be illegal for a civillian to own. Only government, law enforcement, or properly licensed dealers can own one.

There are several "conversion devices" available for other weapons (HK sears, AR15 drop ins, etc.) that were registeered prior to the cutoff date, which is why some people can legaally convert newer weapons. The device itself is the registered machine gun, not the rifle. Unfortunately, there were no such devices available for the AK.

#119 ·
AK lightning link

I see a picture on a few websites portraying what is claimed to be a lightning link for the AK; probably not registered as such, so buyer beware. Could be an expense paid trip for Club Fed.
Fed law defines a handgun as having one grip, so two makes it not a handgun.

Fed law also defines a rifle as having a stock (designed to be fired from the shoulder), so a two gripped handgun is not a rifle either.

So what we are left with is a concealable firearm designed to be fired with two hands. This falls under the NFA classification "Any Other Weapon", which is sort of a catchall category that can be several things such as shotgun pistols, gadget guns, pen guns, or a 2 gripped handgun.

You are correct, the government banned production of new machine guns for civillian ownership back in May 1986. Any machine guns made after that time would be illegal for a civillian to own. Only government, law enforcement, or properly licensed dealers can own one.

There are several "conversion devices" available for other weapons (HK sears, AR15 drop ins, etc.) that were registeered prior to the cutoff date, which is why some people can legaally convert newer weapons. The device itself is the registered machine gun, not the rifle. Unfortunately, there were no such devices available for the AK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.