Gunco Forums banner

How to get your SBR, Dialogue thread

24K views 152 replies 39 participants last post by  Dirty Harry 
#1 ·
This thread is for talking about your SBR, how to get it and what you did to get yours. Anyone feel free to add comments about the process and pictures if you have an SBR. Let's get everyone on Gunco interested in an SBR.......I am going to close the SBR tutorial to posts so it wont get cluttered up with comments. That way we can add more to it as we get more pertitant info. That way if anyone needs info quick they wont have to wade through stuff they dont need. Please make all the posts and comments you want here.....This is the place the to do it....Welcome to all short barrel people and wannabe's...hehe

#28 ·
kernelkrink said:
Fed law defines a handgun as having one grip, so two makes it not a handgun.

Fed law also defines a rifle as having a stock (designed to be fired from the shoulder), so a two gripped handgun is not a rifle either.

So what we are left with is a concealable firearm designed to be fired with two hands. This falls under the NFA classification "Any Other Weapon", which is sort of a catchall category that can be several things such as shotgun pistols, gadget guns, pen guns, or a 2 gripped handgun.

You are correct, the government banned production of new machine guns for civillian ownership back in May 1986. Any machine guns made after that time would be illegal for a civillian to own. Only government, law enforcement, or properly licensed dealers can own one.

There are several "conversion devices" available for other weapons (HK sears, AR15 drop ins, etc.) that were registeered prior to the cutoff date, which is why some people can legaally convert newer weapons. The device itself is the registered machine gun, not the rifle. Unfortunately, there were no such devices available for the AK.
So, and I'm only on the brink of comprehension here, I can get the $5 tax stamp and put a forward grip on my pistol even though the receiver is logged as a pistol and has a pistol rear trunion? But my AMD 65 with the folding stock would need the $200 stamp if I wanted to keep the barrel the original length. Am I correct?

#29 · (Edited)
Today I took the cards to the Sheriff's office and got fingerprinted. They have a fancy finger print machine that is computerized. Instead of using ink, you press your fingers down on a piece of glass and it scans your prints. They then run the cards through a printer and everything prints out nice and typed along with the finger prints. Everything went fine until they got to the part that asks "Reason Fingerprinted". They only had choices that they could select. It would not allow them to free type in the field. There was nothing that even approached NFA or SBR. The closest thing was "Pistol Permit - FBI and State". Will this pose a problem or does the reason listed on the card not really matter to them? If it does matter, what should be put in the "Reason Fingerprinted" field?

#30 ·
Gun nut said:
So, and I'm only on the brink of comprehension here, I can get the $5 tax stamp and put a forward grip on my pistol even though the receiver is logged as a pistol and has a pistol rear trunion? But my AMD 65 with the folding stock would need the $200 stamp if I wanted to keep the barrel the original length. Am I correct?
You almost have it.

Building an AMD 65 with the original bbl length and a stock makes it an SBR, costs $200 for the tax to make it. (or to transfer it)

Putting the forward vertical grip on a pistol makes it an AOW. The tax for an individual to make an AOW is still $200, not $5. The $5 tax is for a transfer of an existing AOW.

The way around this is to find a manufacturer of NFA toys that will install the PG on the forearm for you and THEN transfer the completed AOW to you for the $5 tax. Licensed manufacturers pay a single yearly tax that covers everything they make, so it only costs him the time to screw the grip on and fill out the transfer paperwork. I assume you can get this done for less than $195.

#33 ·
After having my paperwork for over a week, my sheriff's secretary called while I was out of town. She told my wife that it would be ready for me to pick up in a couple of days, but she needed my social security number so that they could do a background check. I wonder if the sheriff doesn't know that the ATF does one or if he just doesn't want to look like he's dropped the ball by signing for someone who later fails an ATF background check.

#36 ·
Quite a few LEO's will do a bakground check locally. Mine did on my first ones then didnt on the others....

#37 ·
I picked up the signed paperwork from my sheriff today!:thumbup1: When the next elections role around, I guess that I'll send him a donation along with a note thanking him for supporting our 2nd Amendment rights. I'll send off the documents in the morning. Hopefully I'll have all of my building tools by the time I receive the stamp.

#38 ·
Salbo,

A few questions before I send mine off...

1. There is a discrepency on the Form 1, one side says make checks payable to Dept. of Treasury, the other says BATFE....Does it matter????

2. Does the form mail to Washington or WV?????

3. Can you engrave the barrel instead of the receiver?

Thanks

#43 ·
I believe anywhere on the barell is fine but please check with ATF to make sure. Also, the time the engraver will know if he has done many SBR engravings.....

#44 ·
I think that they have to be conspicuous as that is the requirement for licenced manufacturers. The ATFE seems to feel that an approved form1 is a license to manufacture a single gun. It would also make it easier to prove to law enforcement that your paper work matches the gun in the event of a misunderstanding. I had one with my MG when leaving an area we were shooting at. The guys next to us had a cell phone and thought we were outlaws. My buddies left to go four-wheeling in the desert and I headed for the road. Cops were waiting on the road for us. Eight police cars later they finally decided that they didn't have a criminal and let me go. Clearly visible markings on the gun and copies of my forms. I also had a 18.5" barreled double 12 that I think every cop there measured at least once as it just looked too short.

-Yarro

#45 ·
yarro said:
I think that they have to be conspicuous as that is the requirement for licenced manufacturers. The ATFE seems to feel that an approved form1 is a license to manufacture a single gun. It would also make it easier to prove to law enforcement that your paper work matches the gun in the event of a misunderstanding. I had one with my MG when leaving an area we were shooting at. The guys next to us had a cell phone and thought we were outlaws. My buddies left to go four-wheeling in the desert and I headed for the road. Cops were waiting on the road for us. Eight police cars later they finally decided that they didn't have a criminal and let me go. Clearly visible markings on the gun and copies of my forms. I also had a 18.5" barreled double 12 that I think every cop there measured at least once as it just looked too short.

-Yarro

Not to be argumentative but the section I read simply states "on the barrel" and gives the required depth and size of the letters. It doesnt say any specific place except the barrel. If you had to remove a handguard to show the engraving then you would have to remove a handguard. I really dont think it has to be in any specific place to be conspicuous at all but like I said, the ATF is the people to get specific answers like to theis question.....

#47 ·
most places use a .075 tall font. I cant remember the required depth but itsabout what you see on a trophy......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.