Gunco Forums banner

reciever flats

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Boatdoc 
#1 ·
I've got a question about receiver flat.
If I buy a receiver flat and find someone else to bend it
for me does it have to go to a FFL holder before I can get
it back. My second question is does anyone on the site know
anyone with a bending jig that would bend a flat for me ?

dixieboy

#2 ·
First question; yes, providing they were a licensed manufacturer. If they were not, it would not be lawful for someone to form your
flat into a receiver and return it to you .
Second question; probably not

#4 ·
I have to agree. bending a flat for someone else is a BAD idea. I would either buy a jig. rent a jig , borrow a jig, or visit someone with a jig, then you can bend your own flat. even the law is happy with any of thies. hope it helps.

#7 ·
stickerman
Are you going to build more then one jig to sell ?
And if so how much $$$$$
I'd be interrestead in buying one if no to pricey
What can I say I'm a poor boy
I just thought a AK build would give me something
to do over the cold Iowa winter.

dixieboy

#9 ·
I'm working on making about thirteen of them right now and got enough steel to make another 35 or so on Wednesday. All of the side plates I'm using are laser cut then I machine the reliefs for the all of the indentions in the flat so none of them get smashed going through the jig. Then in the middle piece of the center of the jig there are alignment dowel pins that center the flat in the jig so you don't have to mess with measuring at all.

I should have the thirteen jigs done for Monday and I may have one of those that's not spoken for at the moment. Otherwise I'll be starting on a new batch on Tuesday or so.

Today I'm going to toy around with a barrel press design once I get some lettering done that I have to go install on a diesel today.

www.ak-builder.com

#10 ·
Stickerman
please put me on your list if you would PLEASE.
I figure I'll buy five flats and bend them for myself
and then rent out the jig or just sell it to someone
here at gunco. by the way what's the price on the
jig ??????

I guess if there's not an extra jig I'll give sks_hunter's
way a try

thanks dixieboy

#11 ·
Dixieboy you can't go wrong with Stickerman's jig, I have one and I'm very happy with the way it works. sks-hunter's way is ingenious too and would work for you too, especially if you were only going to bend one or two flats. There are some real smart guys on this forum so if you do a search on flat bending I'm pretty sure you'll find one or two other ways to do it too.
Check out:
http://www.jtagconnection.com/flat_jig.htm

#12 ·
Is there anyone with a bending jig I could come use for my DPMS flat in the Louisville, MS region, i.e. western and southern Alabama or anywhere in Mississippi? If no one is nearby then it is on to sks_hunter's poor man's jig. This is my first to build on a Centerfire Romanian AKM parts kit. It sure would be nice to get it right the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.